Author Topic: Questtion: hupcaps vs. wheel covers ('67)  (Read 4117 times)

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
Questtion: hupcaps vs. wheel covers ('67)
« on: February 09, 2007, 01:16:37 PM »
 I always thought PAINTED steel rims got hubcaps, ...non painted (black) got wheel covers. I never really paid much attention   that my '67 has (gold) painted wheels with wheel covers, until it was brought up again recently.
   I have photos of the car from the early 70's with the wheel covers on it back then. The photos below show the car today...
  Questions on a couple things... Was it the 'norm' that painted rims got hubcaps? ...are there other original examples of of painted wheels with wheelcovers?  Basically I'm curious.  I doubt I'll leave the wheelcovers on the car either way, ...BUT since my car only has 40,000 miles on it, ...and I may actually keep the painted wheels and go with the dog-dish (which I'm thinking is more 'the norm', ...even if (as 'incorrect/non-normal as it may seem) my car did come from the factory with wheelcovers as I'm suspecting.

4ZNOW

• You must be fast u were haulin when I passed you
    • View Profile
Re: Questtion: hupcaps vs. wheel covers ('67)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:39:11 PM »
from what I have been told rim's that have dog dish hub caps were painted the same color as the car color.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 03:44:50 PM »
Cannot speak for the whole country, but I had a great uncle who managed our local Chevrolet dealership and sometimes he would "upgrade" to wheel covers to help sell the car.  In other words the car would come from the factory with the dog dish caps (which, if I were you, that's exactly what I would do now), but somebody would tell the salesman, "I don't like those hub caps!", and the dealership would change them to make the sale.  I'm not saying it was "order of the day", but it did happen... 
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 04:16:15 PM »
I have not seen a full wheelcover car with body color wheels.
The scenario that Phillip mentioned was not uncommon. I'd assume something like that happened with your car.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:56:35 PM by KurtS »
Kurt S
CRG

anything