Author Topic: Could use some advice on springs  (Read 7060 times)

David B

• View Profile
Could use some advice on springs
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:15:10 AM »
Hi guys,

I've been lurking and learning for a while now. I had a green '69 back in the day in the late 80's when I was in high school and am now at a point in my life where I was able to finally pick up another first gen Camaro.  :)

Late spring I picked up a 68 big block that's in great overall condition. It's showing 58k on the clock. I've put some miles on but I'd really like to start fresh with a good service and changing of all fluids for a nice clean maintenance starting point.

My mechanic and I had it up on the lift and came up with  a list of items to be addressed but it's a short one.  In addition to changing the fluids a few fiddley bits need to be addressed.  The shocks, for one, are pretty obviously shot so they'll be replaced. Also, the ride height is pretty low and while I realize the shocks are part of the problem, the car wants to bottom out on even the slightest bump if there are 2 people in the car.

So new springs are what I'm looking for help with. I believe they're probably original and I'll hang onto them but I'd like to put new springs on the car. It's not going to be raced or anything so a stock(ish) replacement is what I'm thinking.  Problem is I'm new to this world again and don't know where to go for good quality and fair prices. It's a great car and I'd like to treat her right. Suggestions for where to go and who to talk to?

Thanks guys!!

David B

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: Could use some advice on springs
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 12:00:28 PM »
First thing that came to my mind was the question of accurate replacements. Many of guys on this site are concerned with parts that are exactly like or as close to the original spring. A part like that will cost more for a premium part. Yet, there are springs available that are functional, serviceable and fine for a vehicle being driven regularly. Those springs just differ in appearance from original equipment. Appearance most noticeable on rears, of course. And only noticeable by the discriminating Camaro enthusiast. So, if you can provide more information of what is important, then better direction can be given on where to get springs. Before doing that though, please take time to use the search feature on this site, putting in the key words, and you may find that this question has already been addressed and your answer already provided.
I believe Detroit Spring will be the main suggested source. You already said this, but save anything original off the car. Have we seen this car? Post pics! Curious to see your car, sounds nice.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 02:41:08 PM »
The accurate rear springs are from camaro specialties and front springs are about anywhere. I got moog springs from summit racing. David pozzis website has a chart for correct coil springs using moog part numbers
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 08:22:05 PM »
Hi David,
  Welcome aboard. For sure keep ALL your old parts! I have been using Hotchkis coils in all my cars. Beware that they are a 2" drop. I am pleased with the performance and stability they provide.
    2" drop is about perfect, very little roll, no rubbing with average sized tires. I have seen many front end rebuilds that end up looking much higher than original from "replacement" coils.
    It's all about what YOU require for your car.
    Good luck,
        VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

David B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:46:56 PM »
Thanks for the help guys!  I've noodled around a bit with the search function but I do need to spend more time seeing what others have done.

I am interested in keeping any parts I install accurate and as close a match to stock as possible/reasonable.  I'm willing to shell out the difference for the most accurate springs.  I'll do my homework and come back with what I come up with.  I'll also post a few pics of the car.

Thanks again!

David B 

David B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:01:09 PM »
A few pics from the day it arrived:

David B

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:02:03 PM »
2 more:

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 11:01:17 PM »
Very nice. It doesn't sit bad at all
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 12:12:59 AM »
Very nice. It doesn't sit bad at all

Agreed, nice stance. Also as Bill stated, David P's is a great site to read over.(nice guy to chat with also, very helpful) Per the chart on his site, I ordered MOG-6308. Listed as correct rate for the Z, has been said 1" drop. Sort of what I was looking for. The OE springs where cut very early in the car's history and had spring helpers in them. Over the counter sold me a set of springs which put the front end nose high. Never settled in 26 years! Long story short, when I pulled them out this spring, I mic'd the coil diameter and measured free length, using the chart found out they were way wrong.

Again, personally I think your car sits nice.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 12:35:31 AM »
What size rims and tires are on it? My 67 sits nearly identical to yours. With 14" rallys or 14" inch vintage TT's using stock style shocks it never bottoms out. Is it bottoming out or rubbing due to incorrect size and offset? If the springs are original just have the rears re-arched; that is if you hate the present rear ride height and want more of a rake.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 12:51:21 AM »
Headrest seats even...Nice.

David B

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 03:22:02 AM »
The rears are 245/60-R15 and the fronts are 215/65-R15.. Honestly I hadn't noticed it has 15 inch rims.    ::)   That might be a factor, obviously. It didn't seem like a rub though, definitely more of a "thump".  I don't mind the ride height if it's stock. I'd ultimately like to have it be as stock as possible. The 15" rims don't help that though......  Now I'm even more unsure what to do. 

I'm in New Jersey, and a day trip to Jerry MacNeish is doable. I spoke to him on the phone & exchanged a few emails when I was looking. I believe the car is pretty close to original; I'm planning on reaching out to him in the near future to arrange to find out from him just how original it is. Maybe the smart move would be to do the shocks as that's pretty obvious & leave the springs alone until he sees the car & see what he says.

I agree, this site is a fantastic resource. I've already learned quite a bit.  Seems like a great bunch here. Thanks for all the compliments and advice guys!

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 08:06:25 AM »
Hi David!

One thing to check for on your front springs is a tag on one of the coils of each spring. It would have a two letter code and the GM part number.

Also, I parted out a B/B '69 convertible back around 1980 and when I pulled out the front springs on top of each was a rubber spacer on the top coil to adjust the height. If I remember correctly they had 1/2" moulded into each one along with the GM part number. Possible the spacers were used only on B/B convertibles since they have the added extra weight from the 25 pound each cocktail shakers and the unique combination with the B/B. They may not have had a coil spring made for such a limited production car and that is why the spacer was used. Only a guess on my part.

Nice looking car you have there........Warren

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 08:15:05 AM »
Sharp car. You didn't mention in your first post that it was a convertible. :)

I think it has a good stance. Sits similar to my car. I run a 255/60 R15 on the rear.

I will be swapping out my drag shocks soon for Gabriel air shocks on the rear and Monroe stock type replacements on the front.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

David B

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 07:35:57 PM »
Hi all, thought I'd provide a quick update.  As the universal opinion from those in the know (i.e. you guys) as well as my relatively untrained eye and a few others is that the ride height is pretty much correct, I'm going to leave the springs alone.  I needed a few period correct bits so I called and spoke with Bob at Camaro Specialties and a his opinion was in line with everyone else - If the ride height is ok, no need to mess with the springs unless you want to.  So in addition to my misc. little parts I ordered from Bob, I also picked up a set of new shocks.  Once everything is done I'll report back and let you all know how it turned out.

Thanks again for all the help, gentlemen!

David B   

David B

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 07:51:57 PM »
Also, I thought I'd share one more picture.

The car was originally sold in Massachusetts.  Two years later, it was traded in to the same dealer.  The second owner had the car into the 2000s.  I believe the third owner repainted it and had the engine rebuilt.  I'm number 4.

I have a fair bit of documentation from the second owner and know he was an attorney who lived in Illinios.  There are several Cornell University stickers on the car and when I looked up to Cornell, they do in fact have a law school.  My hunch is he bought the car as a young man when he was going to law school at Cornell and, after graduating, moved to Illinois where he kept the car for many decades.  I believe he passed away right around the time he sold the car.  He must have really loved it because it's been well cared for and I don't think it's ever been outside of a garage.  Kinda cool to find out a bit about the previous owner and the car's history. 

I keep the original filed away in a safe place but I made a copy of the original invoice and laminated it for display on cruise nights and such. 

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »
Great car..  May I ask for a few items of data from the car if you dont mind.?.  Could you get a pic of the fuel line as it comes up the subframe and up to the fuel pump?  Also could you get a pic of the trim tag, radiator codes and the air cleaner.  Here are some of the links for the reason for the info.  This is assuming everything is still original to the car and not replaced with aftermarket items.  Thanks, Darrell

Radiator Info Thread

Fuel Line Thread

Air Cleaner Thread

David B

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 09:13:13 PM »
No problem.  Would you like the pics posted in this thread or is there some place else that would be better?

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 09:59:30 PM »
You can just email them to me if you'd like.

cook_dw@hotmail.com

anything