Author Topic: Q jet inlet fitting leak  (Read 2954 times)

myblue67

• View Profile
Q jet inlet fitting leak
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:37:09 AM »
I continually have  leaks around the fuel inlet fitting. Carb has been rebuilt. Threads are good and using a new 5/16 x 7/8 fitting. Carb runs great but can't seem to keep it from leaking. Any tricks?Question....

Was a 5/16 fuel line standard on early 67 L48. w Qjet by Carter? Non OEM fuel pump has a 3/8 outlet With an reducer. Just curious if issue originates at the fuel pump.

TRLAND

• View Profile
Re: Q jet inlet fitting leak
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 04:26:02 AM »
Make sure you're using the correct gasket on the inlet fitting and then after snugging it down gently hold that nut with one wrench while you tighten up the fuel line fitting. A very small amount of anti-sieze on the threads only of the fuel line fitting will allow you to tighten it up without leaks and prevent galling of the threads. If you tighten too much at the carb you will crack the inlet and never fix the leak.

I think L48 had 3/8" lines and L30 had 5/16".  I don't know if there were exceptions but the experts here may chime in.
Mike in Northern Illinois
1967 RS 327

myblue67

• View Profile
Re: Q jet inlet fitting leak
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I better check to see if the inlet is already cracked on the bottom side.

anything