Author Topic: 1969 Radiator - Who is the best supplier for stock appearance?  (Read 5806 times)

silverton_ford

• View Profile
My Grandma's 1969 Camaro with a 6 cylinder has a crack in the original radiator and it is now time to replace it.  I am not going to get rid of it.  It will go on the shelf to keep it if I ever decide to go back to original.

I want to upgrade to a larger V8 radiator.  I don't need new old stock or date code matching.  I just need original style with excellent function.  I do not want aluminum or custom built.  I want to stay with a stock appearance.  I drive the car on sunny days and just enjoy driving it on the road and am not into concourse restoring it....yet.  Who is the best supplier to contact for an original appearing radiator?

Being that the car is originally a 6 cylinder car, it has a small radiator.  Do I need to also buy the correct mounts and brackets to accept a larger V8 radiator or will the brackets I already have work?  Do the water necks align in the same place as a V8 and a 6 cylinder?

Please excuse my basic elementary questions, I am not a Camaro guy and need help with these small easy issues.   

Thank you for your help. ~ Brian
1969 Camaro - 6 cylinder - Original car, never restored.  Needs some TLC.  My Great Grandmother bought it new and has been in the family ever since.

I am a Ford guy, but this Camaro will never leave the family.  Sorry for the uneducated questions.

Thank you, Brian

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Radiator - Who is the best supplier for stock appearance?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »
Read this: http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml
It's a 2 core and a V8 rad is also a 2 core.
Cracked?? What's that mean?
Kurt S
CRG

silverton_ford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 11:34:29 PM »
Read this: http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml
It's a 2 core and a V8 rad is also a 2 core.
Cracked?? What's that mean?

Thank you.

The side of the tank where it joins the core is splitting.  I think the sodering is coming apart.  I guess I could repair it, but I thought if there is an upgrade, now would be the time to do it.

It looks like I would like to upgrade to a big block with AC radiator, 4 core, right?  Do the hoses mount up on the same sides and do the bracket work or do I need to get big block brackets?
1969 Camaro - 6 cylinder - Original car, never restored.  Needs some TLC.  My Great Grandmother bought it new and has been in the family ever since.

I am a Ford guy, but this Camaro will never leave the family.  Sorry for the uneducated questions.

Thank you, Brian

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 11:55:54 PM »
Good radiator shop could fix yours unless the core is rotten
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 05:16:02 PM »
There is NO need to upgrade to a heavy duty cooling/big block radiator.  Standard radiator should be fine, and it sounds like the one you have is repairable.  Good luck.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 05:46:11 PM »
I agree with the above, but if you REALLY want a new radiator, there's none better than DEWITT'S. I know it's aluminum, which is NOT what you're looking for, but it appears completely stock if you get the "Black Ice" coating. And it goes without saying, since it's an aftermarket radiator, it won't have the "HARRISON" logo tanks, so if you want to keep those then you'll have to get your radiator repaired, buy a VERY expensive reproduction radiator, or look for an even MORE expensive NOS radiator!

Ed
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:07:25 PM by bertfam »

silverton_ford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 06:18:24 PM »
I agree with the above, but if you REALLY want a new radiator, there's none better than DEWITT'S. I know it's aluminum, which is NOT what you're looking for, but it appears completely stock if you get the "Black Ice" coating. And it goes without saying, since it's an aftermarket radiator, it won't have the "HARRISON" logo tanks, so if you want to keep those then you'll have to get your radiator repaired, buy a VERY expensive reproduction radiator, or look for an even MORE expensive NOS radiator!
Ed

Thank you for the recommendation.  I am not too worried about the Harrison logo.  I just don't want a radiator that is very apparent to be aftermarket such as some "fits-all" units can be.  This car is a driver and I am not worried about it being exactly correct.  The car will remain in it's stock appearance and it wouldn't look right to have a radiator that didn't resemble an original unit within reason, I am not going to get too caught up in the exact details or date codes. 

Do big block, small block and 6 cylinder radiators all mount in the same locations with the same mounting brackets?  Also, after looking around I have noticed that the big blocks have a bent upper water neck, but the Dewitt radiator doesn't show that.  Are all water necks the same between big block, small block and 6 cylinder radiators?  Sorry for what is probably obvious questions, but these details are different on the other cars I have in the shop, so I just wanted to ask before I assume something.

Thank you for all of your help with this.   :)

Thank you, Brian

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 07:15:39 PM »
http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml
Probably a good place to start is reading this. Big block radiators are 2 inches longer.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 06:25:52 AM »
Do read my article. It should answer most of your questions.

My standard question: What problem are you trying to solve?
I'd just have a rad shop fix it and put it back in.
Kurt S
CRG

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=271879&cc=1034705&jsn=421&jsn=421

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=271832&cc=1034738&jsn=473

Let me know if you can find a radiator shop that will fix yours. All the shops around me are gone and in the last few years they were open they only wanted to sell me a new Chinese radiator rather than repair mine. Also, I was told replacement cores were not available anymore and I didn't look any further.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
Cores are available.
Kurt S
CRG

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 06:14:18 PM »
A good friend of mine who knows more about radiators of all makes and I mean knows, like does concours restoration work on muscle and high end, rare one of a kind antique cars, is Steve Powell of Powell Radiator. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Powell-Radiator-Service/170451159631677
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 08:22:46 PM »
Also, I was told replacement cores were not available anymore and I didn't look any further.
Cores are available and some have NOS Harrison cores in stock, as well as tanks and tranny coolers. Not all replacement cores are the same. While one may be an excellent product, it may not be as accurate in detail as an original. I had a Harrison done by Glen-Ray http://www.hemiradiators.com/. He did an excellent repair a previously butchered job. A radiator repair shop is not the same as a restoration shop.