Author Topic: Securing our cars  (Read 10493 times)

dale_z28

• View Profile
Securing our cars
« on: August 08, 2016, 01:51:44 PM »
Guys, I was startled and disturbed last night reading a facebook post of a fellow that lost his Camaro to thieves while attending the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville over the weekend. I really got me to thinking. These old cars are relatively easy to snag, so I wanted opinions on what security measures other take while going away from home.
My idea would to tuck a smart phone away somewhere inconspicuous and wiring an "always on" charger to keep it alive. Then (heaven forbid) the car disappears, you could use the "Find your phone" app and track it.
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: Securing our cars
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:20:18 PM »
Since we drive ours daily we take several different precautions.   One that I always use on every car is a hidden key operated switch that either kills the ignition, starter, or fuel pump.  Sometimes at least 2 of those on one car.  Even if the switch is found, it still takes a key so it's not that easy for a thief to deal with.   I also don't park them where I can't watch them.

On out of town events after the above is done, I also take the battery out and inside the motel, then chain the hood shut. Very simple to attach a couple of small chain links to the upper hood latch bolts, and dangle them down below the core support where I can put a pad lock on it.  Easily removed if you want to park and show the car with the hood up later.

After all is said and done, the only way anyone could steal the car is putting it on a hook. 
None of this is fool proof but it slows them down and draws attention, 2 things a crook doesn't want.  Sounds like effort, but really not that bad.

I've even gone as far as sleeping in the car.  Take showers and the family beds down for the night, I crawl into the back seat and catch a few hours.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 10:22:02 PM »
Man, what kind of car were you sleeping in?

Maybe a nomad with all rear seats flat would be do-able, but I don't know that I own a car that I would do that. But maybe if I was shorter it would work?

I like the lock the hood idea. I think all of you are right though, just takes the wrong guy driving a flat bed truck to yank your car on and drive away. I think I remember a hotrod getting stolen off the side of the road like this.

1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 10:31:26 PM »
Just depends on what I am driving.  Back seat works, but not comfortable.  But the idea is to just make sure the car is there in the morning, I'm not too worried about sleep.  I'm pretty ramped up on those kind of car weekends anyway.

If I were to fold the seats down in the nomad I could put a blow up mattress back there.  At that point I may as well just save my money on the motels  ;D

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 12:15:36 AM »
I'm heading out to the Tri Five Nationals on Thursday (to Bowling Green, KY) in my '56 Nomad.. I should have considered your option myself..  :)   
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

TRLAND

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 03:02:02 AM »
To slow them down winching it on a flatbed, park parallel to a wall or block it with another car and turn the wheels so they can't get a straight shot. Don't make anything easy for them. Every little bit MIGHT help.
Mike in Northern Illinois
1967 RS 327

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 04:14:00 AM »
In the distant past at one of the "OLD" PNW Camaro nats sponsored by USCC & our Local club, PNWCC. We the members provided Night "SECURITY" by being assigned shifts to Walk around the HOST hotel Lot to ONLY observe & report any Car activity. Armed with a Vest and flash light (Pre Cell phone years) We walked around for hours, providing the visiting members some peace of mind, while NOTHING is certain.  Some good ideas here; 1) Insurance, 2) Parking strategy, 3) Defeats, both mechanical & electrical, 4) Oversight (personnel & Camera & virtual) 5) Smith & Wesson Decal 6) Abstinence (I do NOT do overnight shows anymore).
The loss would be devastating, I have grown to attached to this Hunk of metal.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 04:14:56 PM »
All great suggestions, with more probably coming. Thanks! I guess I was so focused on "recovery" I hadn't even considered "prevention"
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 07:10:32 PM »
 Bring an outlaw motorcycle club prospect with you. Nothing or nobody will touch the car then.  ;)

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

TRLAND

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 02:40:11 AM »
All great suggestions, with more probably coming. Thanks! I guess I was so focused on "recovery" I hadn't even considered "prevention"

I like to think of anti-theft as 4 strategies: Avoidance (try not to be a target), Deterrence (things that call attention to thieves), Prevention (things that immobilize your car), Recovery (GPS trackers, LoJack, insurance).
1967 RS 327

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 03:50:39 AM »
-So don't be a target by taking your original 1st gen Camaro to car show... :-X

-if you do decide to bring it, just remove the motor, and wheels and put it up on blocks

and then microchip it like your dog, so you can find it.

J/k

I think those were all good suggestions TRLAND. Crooks have gotten more and more brave. You almost need "the boot" these days so your car stays in one spot... ;D
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

TRLAND

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 11:33:37 AM »

-So don't be a target by taking your original 1st gen Camaro to car show... :-X

Ironically, car shows seem to be the safest place. Hood up, windows down, and nobody near their own car. I was thinking more along the lines of not handing your business card with your home address to a stranger right after telling him that you keep your prized Camaro in your garage and that you'll call him when your family gets home from a 2 week vacation.  :o

I like the blocks idea.  I think I'll use jack stands instead because they look better for a car show.  ;D  Seriously though, by practicing a few simple things, it isn't hard to feel comfortable driving and parking many places. If they really want it, they'll figure out a way to get it and there's not much to do if that happens except be prepared with good insurance and possibly a way to recover it.
1967 RS 327

TRLAND

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 11:42:07 AM »

and then microchip it like your dog, so you can find it.

Like this?  http://www.datadotusa.com/technology.htm
1967 RS 327

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 12:30:58 PM »
I don't really worry about the day shows, or worry too much about driving them daily as they aren't parked in uncomfortable places and I'm always nearby.  I also don't live in a bad area where theft is a major problem.  It's the overnight shows where you have to be cautious.   I generally only do maybe 1 or 2 of those a year and it has to be a pretty good multi event show with drag racing, show, and swap to even interest me to drive far enough to require an overnight stay.  Otherwise I get my fulfillment with plenty of local events year round in Arizona that I can drive within 2-3 hours and be back the same day.
  For the most part 99% of the time they don't leave my sight, and that's the best prevention.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »
GPS's are so inexpensive tuck one away somewhere in the car.
If you have an enclosed trailer paint something wild and discerning on the ROOF!
WHY ?
Makes them QUICKLY visible from the sky, there are alot of enclosed trailers now days, making it visible quickly from the sky could make recovery in the first hour or two much easier.   

This is why Levi's started using wild looking semi trailers with scenes all over the sides, cut theft down radically as they were much easier to identify and thus recover.
'
Truck trailer combo... pull the fuel pump relays from your tow truck lock the trailer to the truck.
Jack knife the combo and lock them together in the jackknife.

Acquire a Parking BOOT which the police use to immobilize vehicles and use it on the trailer or car.
Anything visible like a boot will make thieves move on to lower hanging fruit.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything