Author Topic: What's it worth, untouched Cortez silver 69 RS Z  (Read 45984 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: What's it worth, untouched Cortez silver 69 RS Z
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2016, 04:54:45 PM »
Same guy owned the late 10 10 car that was just on ebay. He told me this car was worse and I wasn't sure that was possible. I didn't see it when I was there. How can Florida car be rotten underneath more than a salted ohio car! I looked at a red z in Fort Meyers that was sold new in Miami 4 years ago. It was worse than my burgundy car but nothing like the silver one

It's the salty air.  Ocean waters coming in from rains etc....  and we all know it rains a lot in Florida, not to mention it's extremely humid there, worse than Ohio.
Same thing happens in all your ocean bordering towns.  California for instance.  If you live anywhere within 100 miles of the ocean the cars are subject to salty rain water when storms move in, even the moist winds that blow in can be destructive over time.   I looked at many cars in the San Fran area that had major rust issues.  But if you go inland to say.....Sacramento...the cars were virtually rust free.   

Another thing to consider, being Florida, as long as this car has been sitting it could have been subject to one of the many floods/hurricanes that Florida gets covering the car in salt water.  I'd bet you'll find rust virtually everywhere in this car.  I generally avoid buying cars in Florida and stick more inland in salt free, snow free areas.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »
Well maybe the best thing for this car is a re-body?

Lets say the firewall and a couple other small areas was the only thing you could save, and then replaced everything else, would it really be worth more that way? (than re-body)

No difference IMO.  If you had to replace that much sheetmetal then just rebody and save yourself in the long run..  Im sure Ill get bashed for my for my logic..  Oh well.

Same guy owned the late 10 10 car that was just on ebay. He told me this car was worse and I wasn't sure that was possible. I didn't see it when I was there. How can Florida car be rotten underneath more than a salted ohio car! I looked at a red z in Fort Meyers that was sold new in Miami 4 years ago. It was worse than my burgundy car but nothing like the silver one

Ocean = salt water.   ;D

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2016, 01:46:51 AM »
Well, it finished up on ebay for $6700.  The winning bidder was a 0 feedback person, so for the sellers sake I hope it was a "real" bid.

John
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2016, 03:42:43 PM »
My condolences to the seller.  :-[
Jimmy V.

ZLP955

• View Profile
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2016, 03:29:42 PM »
No reserve..  it's now at $4250, but aside from the rear end..  How many other parts would actually be usable even with a restoration?? 
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2016, 03:46:54 PM »
That's a pretty expensive rearend, lol.  I think I need a tetanus shot just looking at it  ;D

I wouldn't touch the rest of the car with a 10 foot pole.  You might grab the subframe and suspension, maybe some RS parts and seat frames, glass.  But like was mentioned before this car is likely going to be a candidate for a complete rebody because you are going to find rot everywhere in that thing sitting decades in salty air that would be ridiculously expensive to repair.

Honestly for what few parts you could salvage it's just not worth the money or the trouble to haul it away.