Author Topic: 1972 Road America Trans Am  (Read 8440 times)

Z28Project

• View Profile
1972 Road America Trans Am
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:33:10 AM »
We took a family trip to Elkhart Lake, Wis. in 72 for the Trans Am race when I was 16.
Here's a few of the decent pics I took with my cheapo Kodak camera.  These pics don't compare to most of the incredible pictures in this section, but I thought I'd share what I have.
The actual racing pictures are too small and distant looking to be of any value.
Other than the "0" Firebird T/A, I don't know who belongs to any of these cars.  I have recently seen the "87" Camaro in vintage races on tv.
Still have the program from the race.

My biggest thrill was while watching the crew working on one of the cars, they asked if I'd roll one of the tires over to them to install on the car. :)   I never forgot that.
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
Re: 1972 Road America Trans Am
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 06:50:32 AM »
If you look up ultimateracinghistory.com, you can see the results from that race.

I spoke to Canadian Jerry Daca, from Toronto, several years ago, with the #94 car, and he told
me he built his own camaro as well as owning the ex Mo Carter 68 camaro - no idea what happened
to either of those cars said Jerry.

I did race against Duane Winkel in the #23 a few times, but that silver is not the original paint scheme
This car is alive with Historic T/A, if it is his original car - can't remember who is racing it now.

The #17 Agor camaro, driven by Kent Fellowes, getting the engine change, maybe the ex Peter Schwartzott car that he raced in 70.
Not sure where that car is, but maybe now owned by Randy Blessing.

I never got to race at RA, but did spectate there a few times in early 60's.  It was too far to go from our base in Toronto.

Thanks for those pics.  Always like to see these kind of pics also as well as the ones from the pro photo guys.

Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 01:47:56 PM »
Many thanks for posting the pics. They are great, especially since they were taken in the paddock. I was at that race also and still have my program with a bunch of driver autographs in it. Those were good times.

P.S. Robert, Duane Winkle's car is actually a lavender color in that pic, not silver. The car was owned by Mike Eisenberg for a long time but Bill Godwin is the current owner.
Jon Mello
CRG

billgodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
Wow awesome shot! Yes #23 is Duane Winkel's car in it's lavender color scheme. Love the family nearby and the early EZUP. Duane was sponsored by a body shop at the time and the paint job was part of the sponsorship.

I met with Duane last month for the very first time. We spent four hours together talking about "back in the day". He filled me in on the history of the car and how he got started in racing. One of his comments will stick with me forever. He said "how could such an insignificant car be so significant!".

Bill Godwin
current caretaker of #23

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »
I think it's great that many of these cars still exist!

John
John

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »
Uh oh...  Now the 'silver vs lavender' discussion has shown up in the Trans Am threads..   :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 12:49:13 AM »
Wow awesome shot! Yes #23 is Duane Winkel's car in it's lavender color scheme. Love the family nearby and the early EZUP. Duane was sponsored by a body shop at the time and the paint job was part of the sponsorship.

I met with Duane last month for the very first time. We spent four hours together talking about "back in the day". He filled me in on the history of the car and how he got started in racing. One of his comments will stick with me forever. He said "how could such an insignificant car be so significant!".

Bill Godwin
current caretaker of #23

That's great that you were able to actually meet and talk to him.....happy to hear that not only the car is still around, but so is he!

Any current pictures of 23 available??  I am assuming it is no longer lavender? :)

Thanks,  John
John

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 03:02:51 AM »
Hello Bill.  Of course I should have remembered who the current owner/racer of Duane's car is. I have met you a few times
at the HTA races - must be 'sometimers' !

My greetings to Duane also if you talk to him.

Robert

billgodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 03:35:34 PM »
John-Thanks for sharing those photos. Check out the Historic Trans Am web site at: http://www.historictransam.com/index.html. You will find the Duane Winkel car, in it's original Fathom Blue/white stripe paint scheme, and all the others that are still running. Go to the event photos tab. We have a awesome photographer! And if you're anywhere near the west coast come to Monterey in August for the Reunion. It's the biggest vintage car extravaganza on the planet. Is there anyway I can get that photo from you? I'd like to keep it with the history of the car.

Robert-Duane is still kicking! He was as excited to meet me as I was to meet him. He had lots of great stories. Will you at Monterey? If so stop by.

Bill Godwin

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 10:24:50 PM »
Thanks for the link to the car Bill.  23 certainly looks a lot different now, but I don't know how much of its life it spent in lavender.

You know you can copy the picture above and save it to your files,  or are you wanting the actual photograph?

John
John

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 10:16:02 PM »
The # 94 in the pits looks very similar to the # 64 that ran at Sonoma in June (see #11 response in the Sonoma thread) Same car?
    VT

68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 11:14:26 PM »
The #64 camaro is he ex Richard Sterbins T/A and IMSA GT car.  Only one T/A finish and one DNS, now
very well raced and owned by Chad Raynal.

Robert

naparsei

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »
Z28 Project - Thanks SO MUCH for posting these pictures. I am the current caretaker of #87, raced by Jerry Petersen, and built by Richard Allin. These are among the best pictures I've seen of my car (in period). I would very happy to see any other pics you have of the car, regardless of how "bad" they might be!

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 01:32:16 PM »
I wish I had more pictures of your car but unfortunately that's all I have.

I just watched the HTA Monterey race on Youtube, and it was very thrilling to see these cars on the track!

The 87 Camaro is always easy to pick out with its unique striping.

Here's the race if some of you guys haven't watched it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdqKEs18WuI&feature=youtu.be

It's 23 minutes well spent in my opinion!  I've got to attend one of these sometime! 8)

John
John