Author Topic: Differential  (Read 6792 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: Differential
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 03:16:19 AM »
Without the depth gauge you'll be at it a while.  Relying on pattern alone won't give you best results and in most cases result in noise.  Those gears are pre-lapped in at those measurements they give you that are scribed on the gears, so using the gauge at least guarantees that you have the gears set where they have been lapped in from the start and lessens the chance of having a rear that howls like a school bus.   Deviate from that and there are no guarantees.
   I don't know any good rear shop here (and there are 4 close by) that set these up without a pinion depth gauge.  You can wing it, shove a .030" shim on the pinion, check your pattern and hope for the best, but I don't recommend it to anyone.  The naked eye can't see a .005" or even a .020" change on a shim with gear marking compound, but I promise the gears will know it.
  On the crush sleeve, there are pros and cons to both that would take a book to explain here.  Use what you wish, but for a beginner that is asking the questions here, sticking to the crush sleeve that comes with a good setup kit is likely the best option.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 11:28:49 AM »
Jesus are you related to "king"..?..  Look Im not gonna get in a pissing match with you..  I simply stated that a person can successfully setup a differential without a depth gauge..  Does it make the job easier and more accurate?  Yes.  Can it be done without it..  YES..  As for the sleeve to each his own.  I use both but prefer one over the other..  If you read I also stated that he needed to have someone that has setup diffs before either help him or do it and him watch..

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »
I have done it myself, 410 to 488,s. By the time I found tools and shims I had a lot of time and cost involved but enjoyed the gain in knowledge. Last time I took it to a pro. He broke out it kit full of shims and tools. one and a 1/2 hours later done. Included shim adjustments more than once. I pretty sure that the carriers are 3 series or 4 series so 373 to 331 should be fine.I know this is a chevy site but Pontiac changes at 323 going up. So it requires a spacer to go to 390,s.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

hrlyfxdl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 01:38:50 PM »
I just appreciate all the information and with all the knowledge you guys have on this topic, and I have none other than I know what to call the part in the discussion, you have convinced me that the best course of action is to take it to someone who knows what they are doing. I'm going to try and spend some time watching them work on the diff. and gain the knowledge that way to begin with like you all have suggested. Thank you very much guys for your input. This site is know my go to site to read and chat and learn.
1968 Camaro SS 350 8L34677?
07A  E107  TR 712  U-U

5hane