Author Topic: Proportioning valve and 4-wheel discs  (Read 10706 times)

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
Proportioning valve and 4-wheel discs
« on: June 07, 2006, 01:03:58 PM »
My '67 was a drag car at one time, and someone along the ownership chain saw fit to equip it with a nice set of Wilwood rear discs and a manual proportioning valve (at least I am assuming that's what this is - red "Wilwood" knob in the floorboard - I don't think it's a clumsy line lock).  I am going to keep the discs on the rear and I am converting the front to discs as well.  The proportioning valves I have seen in the front disc conversion kits mention "disc/drum" setup f/r - would this type of valve be suitable for a 4-disc setup as well?

Thanks,

RCP

CNorton

• View Profile
Re: Proportioning valve and 4-wheel discs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 01:42:52 PM »
You may wish to consult someone at Wilwood about the wisdom of retaining the valve as a means of adjusting the "braking bias."   In race cars it is used to fine-tune the braking system to allow for weight distribution changes, differences in tire height, or track conditions.  On a vehicle used only for street use and with no weight distribution issues, it may be unnecessary.

c

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 01:57:14 PM »
I am planning to remove the brake bias adjuster completely, actually.  I couldn't remember what that thing was called, thanks.  I guess the real heart of my question is, which brake proportioning valve should I use for the 4-disc setup?

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 04:17:55 PM »
As I understand the purpose of a proportioning valve it would typically be used to balance the braking system in the case where one end of the car is drum and the other is disc.  if the entire system is aftermarket, would it not be a good idea to contact the manfacturer of the system (including the master cylinder) to see if some sort of adjustment mechanism is recommended?

c

olympic69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 02:22:30 AM »
I did not read it, but perhaps this will help:

http://www.camaros.net/techref/articles/brakes1.htm

Also Pozzi Racing has good 1 st Gen racing stuff:

http://www.pozziracing.com/
Rob
Olympic Gold X33

"Its all crazy..."