Author Topic: 1967 Front drum brake hoses  (Read 5080 times)

67stripper

• View Profile
1967 Front drum brake hoses
« on: May 29, 2016, 06:15:51 PM »
I have a 1967 Convertible 11B NOR build that I'm trying to find new front brake hoses for. In the attached photos the bottom hose is the original. The top hose is a Raybestos hose I purchased from my local auto parts store. I also went and looked at the hose sold by NAPA and it is the same except for the Made in China label and the Sunsong writing on the hose. Oh well. Both are too short although the books do say the hose is 12.5" long which the original is from flat to flat. The other issue is the recess on the Raybestos type hose at the bottom of the thread where the thread meets the block used to tighten the hose to the wheel cylinder. The specified copper sealing washer flops around and will not likely seal properly. I obtained a larger washer that would possibly work but it does not look good and does not give me a good feeling.

I contacted my local restoration parts supplier and they contacted Classic Industries about this as they are a big dealer of their parts. Classic does not list a Raybestos brake hose in their catalogue for 1967 and 1968 drum brakes and suggested using the other brand they sell. Since we are limited to four attachments per post I'll post the photo I received from Classic of the end of their hose in my next post. It does not have the recess at the bottom of the thread but is not correct in shape and is gold not silver as factory.

I'd prefer not to reuse the original hose as it is 50 years old. Looks and feels good, but I'm concerned about safety. Anyone have any comments on brake hoses in general and any suggestions for a source to get a good functional correct looking hose?

67stripper

• View Profile
Re: 1967 Front drum brake hoses
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 06:22:33 PM »
Photo of Classic Industries hose end for 1967 drum brakes.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:27:51 PM »
I went thru this same issue myself, as my '69 Z28 had all the original hoses.  The original hose ends were 'single crimped', which isn't allowed any longer (a safety requirement for double crimped) as I understand it.   There are (or were?) some folks reproducing the original hoses - with original markings - but I think they had double crimped ends (my old memory isn't remembering that correctly!).. :)    They were also very expensive which I decided not to pay for some ink stamps on a rubber hose.   I bought new hoses and put the originals in a bag for 'historical purposes', and Steve Shauger had recommended bringing the original items you removed due to safety concerns if you ever had the car judged for 'survivor' classifications.  I'm unsure if he just wanted to see the original hoses, or if there was 'judging credit' for them??
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

67stripper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 11:23:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply and info. Much appreciated. Any suggestions for a source to buy hoses that are at least the same length?

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 12:32:53 PM »
 I have in-line tube hoses and they look exactly the same shape.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

67stripper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 05:21:30 AM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. Which hose do the Inline Tube hoses look like and do they work well?

Blake

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 12:34:41 PM »
If I am not mistaken they do not take points for double crimped brake hoses. (due to the DOT safety issues)
The only way to get single crimps is to either figure out how to do them yourself or pick up period NOS/NORS pieces.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

67stripper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 08:18:12 PM »
Thanks for all those who replied. I purchased new brake hoses from Classic Industries. They are Right Stuff Detailing hoses and fit perfectly other than the colour of the ends, the crimps and the fitting for the wheel cylinder. The fitting for the wheel cylinder is as shown and it has double crimps. The fitting end is gold rather than silver. Also the diameter of the hose is smaller. All things I can live with for new hoses. They look great in place.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 09:07:04 PM »
I went thru this same issue myself, as my '69 Z28 had all the original hoses.  The original hose ends were 'single crimped', which isn't allowed any longer (a safety requirement for double crimped) as I understand it.   There are (or were?) some folks reproducing the original hoses - with original markings - but I think they had double crimped ends (my old memory isn't remembering that correctly!).. :)    They were also very expensive which I decided not to pay for some ink stamps on a rubber hose.   I bought new hoses and put the originals in a bag for 'historical purposes', and Steve Shauger had recommended bringing the original items you removed due to safety concerns if you ever had the car judged for 'survivor' classifications.  I'm unsure if he just wanted to see the original hoses, or if there was 'judging credit' for them??

Just to clarify what Gary is communicating, yes, there was a person on ebay selling new hoses with correct looking red stampings for disc brake cars but he would stencil the stamping on your brake hoses as he did our NOS brake hoses for our 68Z restoration. And yes, some of the prices he was getting were pretty outlandish for just off the shelf hoses stenciled to look the part. :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

anything