Author Topic: Questions about properly refinishing my '69 bumper jack  (Read 5182 times)

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
Questions about properly refinishing my '69 bumper jack
« on: January 02, 2007, 03:34:27 AM »
Hi All !

Happy New Year !!

I saw an auction on eBay for a "restored" '69 Camaro bumper jack assembly and it got me thinking about my jacks condition ( not too good ).
This is the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260069578101&rd=1&rd=1

My main question concerns the jack shaft itself and the proper finish it should have.  The jack in the auction used a Rustoleum Metallic paint finish.
I know this isn't original.  I'm not knocking the seller of this eBay item, but I want to do my jack properly.

So, what are the correct finishes for the jack assembly?  What color gray matches ( best possible ) the original gray?
What can I expect to pay to get the shaft replated?  Anyone have recommendation on a vendor I can use?

Lastly, can the jack mechanism be separated from the shaft for the plating process?  It's all in the details. 

Thanks,
Steve

69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

sam

• View Profile
Re: Questions about properly refinishing my '69 bumper jack
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:41:50 AM »
A real good idea would to buy Jerry MacNeishs book for color references. He lays it out pretty good in there. Everything is covered.  Sam

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:38:32 AM »
Sam,

You are correct.  I've had that book for many, many years now ( the pages are falling out ).

It doesn't address the color gray ( closest commercially available ) or where to
get the jack replated.  Those are topics members here can best address for me.

I was hoping some members that had their jacks restored could comment on where
they got their jack shafts replated and how the process worked & approximate costs.

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:50:30 PM »
Steve, I thought Jerry could get that done for you, or maybe Hemmings.  Sam

68rsssrag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 02:12:01 AM »
I have a couple of original jacks. The makers varied, I have seen at least 4 variations of the same basic theme from 1967 to 1969. The jack post were always bright clear Cad (silvery) or Cad DiChromate (goldish) plated.

Cheers

Arno

anything