Author Topic: Was a warranty replacement carb P/N the same  (Read 3040 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Was a warranty replacement carb P/N the same
« on: June 17, 2016, 12:45:41 PM »
Hi Guys,

A few friends and I had a conversation over a beer (well...a few beers) about carburetors and fuel injectors between old and new Camaros. It then shifted to the Rochester Q-jet and how it has seen so many revision changes even during a given model year. The question that came up and we really couldn't agree on an answer was; if a car came off the assembly line with a certain P/N Q-jet, then went in for service later and it was determine the carb needed replacement, would it have been replaced with the newer revision P/N if it was in production at that time? Also, John Z had mention a large recall for Q-Jets related to the heat slot design and subsequent issues that followed it. Would those carbs too have been replaced with the superseded newer revision carb?

Below are 2 hypothetical examples: For a 67 350/295 w/AT/AIR there were early, mid, late versions. Let's say a car came with the early version 7037202.
 Example 1: The car goes in for warranty service towards the end of the '67 model production run and the carb is found to be at fault. Is it replaced with a 7037202 or the newer 7037218.
 Example 2: If the same car with the 7037202 had to have the carb replaced in 1969, would the replacement still be a 7037202 or 218?

Thanks,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Was a warranty replacement carb P/N the same
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 01:30:56 PM »
This may not exactly answer your question but this is what happened with one of my uncles when he went in for an issue with his Holley on an early built 69 L78 Chevelle.  Instead of ordering a new carb they brought in a L78 or L72 Chevelle or Camaro (he couldnt remember which) that was on the lot and pulled the carb off of it.  Put it on his L78 and sent him on his way..  So now his car has a late 69 dated carb on an early 69 car.  Was this the norm for dealerships??  Not sure but I feel pretty confident it happened at others as well.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Was a warranty replacement carb P/N the same
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 04:00:48 PM »
I would think when they changed versions they would stop production of the older ones and when stock of the olders ran out you would to get the newer one.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

anything