Author Topic: DId a 69 Z use the capacitor on the coil?  (Read 8358 times)

6667ss138

• View Profile
Re: DId a 69 Z use the capacitor on the coil?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »
I copied this from a post Danny made. John left this reply. I am pretty sure i had seen them with the capacitor but i didnt find it in the AIM. Thanks!
coil bracket with the "notch" is not unique to the Z/28; originals don't have the notch, although the eBay sellers want you to believe they did, so they can claim they're "rare". The one in the photo is clearly from another application, as it has the screw to attach the radio noise suppresson capacitor, which was never used on a '69 Camaro.

I just checked mine and it does have the notch as I have read and been told that all ZL/2 hoods required a different coil angle and therefore a different coil bracket compared to the flat hood cars. Can anyone confirm this as being correct? My car is unrestored and as far as I know it is the original bracket along with many other original components still on my car.
Also, mine does not have a capacitor and does not appear to have any threads where one was ever installed. I would have to remove it to be absolute.

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 07:41:12 PM »
Have just been reading back at a few old threads on the coil bracket question. I see where John Z and William know of no notch. I also read others like myself that have it on there cars. Mine sure looks original but who knows. I know mine has been on there for many years.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 01:08:45 PM »
So would it be safe to say that the capacitor may have been added to my coil bracket (pic that BillOhio posted #8) at some time?  and most likely for the purpose to preserve the points ?
The capacitor for the points is located on the plate under the distributor cap.  The one on the coil was for noise suppression on the radio. 
Yes, it is.  TY!