Author Topic: 69 RS Z  (Read 8855 times)

6667ss138

• View Profile
Re: 69 RS Z
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 05:05:04 AM »
I agree with Gary, when I hear or read "matching numbers" or "original engine" in todays ads, I'm always skeptical of a possible restamp.

To me "period or date correct" is always a more honest description of a replaced drive train and sounds less deceptive.

I've always preferred "The born with"

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 11:40:53 AM »
Technically speaking if it says matching numbers that would imply that all the numbers match regardless if they were "born with" or not..  Sad when you have to think like a lawyer when it comes to enjoying a hobby..

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 12:18:44 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean Cook.

I prefer to not be too negative and avoid the skepticism in the hobby and I find things much more enjoyable.  I'll approach the car with an open mind and let the facts present themselves.  In the end, it is what it is.   

He may not even care about stuff like that and just wanted an RS Z to enjoy.  Some of us get too wrapped up in numbers to realize that, and I've been guilty.   Quite frankly, anymore these days I think if you have a real Z you're already a leg up regardless of the drivetrain,  considering the amount of fake cars and tags running around

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 12:57:19 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean Cook.

I prefer to not be too negative and avoid the skepticism in the hobby and I find things much more enjoyable.  I'll approach the car with an open mind and let the facts present themselves.  In the end, it is what it is.   

He may not even care about stuff like that and just wanted an RS Z to enjoy.  Some of us get too wrapped up in numbers to realize that, and I've been guilty.   Quite frankly, anymore these days I think if you have a real Z you're already a leg up regardless of the drivetrain,  considering the amount of fake cars and tags running around

It just boils down to the dollars and investment. A true and real numbers car opposed to a non original engine car is at least a 30% drop according to JM when I heard him speak on the subject at BJ last winter. As long as one does their homework and not the victim of deceipt and therefore over pay, then it doesn't matter. Just drive and enjoy.

It is a good looking car by the way!!

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 01:51:59 PM »
I agree.  Yep looks good in the pics.  I'm curious to see how paint and panel fitment looks.  If it's a very nicely done car, and a real Z, then I don't think he got hurt on the price.  Considering the cost it takes to properly finish and paint a car that's worth some coin by itself, and a real Z to boot. 

Also considering that I see basket case Z's change hands for $30k that need another $60k in restoration sure makes this Z look pretty good at the price, even if the drivetrain isn't original.
If you take that 30% increase/decrease for matching numbers you're only talking $15k at the price he got this one for, which is still cheaper than what I'm seeing for "supposed" matching number Z's out there for sale with asking prices of $70k plus it seems.

In the end I'm thinking he didn't get hurt in the deal, but I really have to lay eye's on it first.   I'm told he got the original carb with it, some paperwork etc...which tells me it must be running a different carb and who knows what else.  So not really sure what to expect.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 07:44:36 PM »
The tag was real never removed, there was muncie peircings etc, cowl hood I do not recall whther the piercings were there. I cannot remember if the engine was a restamp or what but I'm pretty sure trans was from a Kansas built Abody.

This is all from memory of over 2 years ago.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 03:59:57 AM »
Thanks James, I'll get a close look at the stuff you pointed out and see if anything has been monkeyed with, and get a better idea of what he was told.   Supposed paperwork with the car too but a lot of that floating around now is repop stuff and I'm not sure what he believes it is.