Author Topic: Steel seat back top hooks  (Read 2346 times)

paulmanta

• View Profile
Steel seat back top hooks
« on: May 21, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »
I have the seats on my standard 67 Camaro (Week two Dec 66 build)  apart to do a re-trim and when I took the steel seat back off I noticed the top middle hooks were doubled up, for some reason the factory had fitted two of the stamped steel parts to both front seats sort of stacked up.

Was this a standard thing with the steel backs or have I just found a quirk of the line that day ?

Its ironic, my other car had the steel seat backs and hooks missing by the time I bought it and although I found a seller on ebay for the seatbacks themselves I could not find anyone to buy the hooks off.

I made a pair following a template a kind fellow forum goer posted and these have been in use now for a few years although they took some time to make.

Now I may have two spares and nowhere to use them.  Isn't life funny sometimes !

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Steel seat back top hooks
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 05:22:10 PM »
The seat I got for the passenger seat of my 67 only had the one hook.  I had to take a 68 seat and make my own hook for the drivers side.  I would vventure to say that it was probably placed too low the first go around and another had to be added to correct..  Kinda surprised they didnt remove the first one but if it didnt interfere with anything then I guess there was no reason.

paulmanta

• View Profile
Re: Steel seat back top hooks
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 08:19:35 AM »
Both fronts were like it and the screws that hold them on were not actually long enough to really grip the seat frame so when I took the second hook out of the stack the screws went in further and the hook was nice and solid and not wobbly like before.

I have put the seats back together now with only one hook and the backs are fine, no looseness or wobble or any rattles.

No ideas why someone fitted two hooks stacked up to each seat but hey, I have 2 spare hooks now for the next car I put steel seat backs on !

anything