Author Topic: new forum  (Read 9355 times)

mjsmilford

• View Profile
new forum
« on: November 18, 2005, 12:22:10 AM »
this site seems just as imformative as the other, so why does it seem that it is not as active? ???

sdkar

• View Profile
Re: new forum
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 02:37:57 PM »
This is just my opinion, but I find that even though the new forum is just as informative...it is more complex and not as easy and fun to view.  Not that I am incapable of maneuvering through it...it is just that is seems like work now and not as enjoyable.  Now I have to select each topic individually and go in and out of windows and move around the site alot just to get the same information.  I find that most of us 67-69 Camaro guys like things simple. (Not speaking for all of us Camaro owners, just something I have observed in my small world.)  I used to check in every day to see what is going on and now I find myself coming here maybe once a week.  Viewing and responding to subjects has become more of a task then simplistic method of the old setup.  I liked seeing everything at once and clicking and viewing each subject and following the threads I thought interesting.  It's not that easy anymore.  And since I am not checking in as often, I can only assume others are not as well which is why there is now less topics and responses to view and less people coming in...kind of like a self fulfilling prophecy.  Maybe it is just me and I am resisting change.  I really hate to see anything that is successful get changed...after all...if it ain't broke, don't fix it (unless its an old Camaro and you're bored).  Anyway...I agree that there seems to be less activity, which is sad...hopefully things will pick up and this is just a growing pain of the new forum. 

DougD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 02:19:32 AM »
This is just my opinion, but I find that even though the new forum is just as informative...it is more complex and not as easy and fun to view. Not that I am incapable of maneuvering through it...it is just that is seems like work now and not as enjoyable. Now I have to select each topic individually and go in and out of windows and move around the site alot just to get the same information. I find that most of us 67-69 Camaro guys like things simple. (Not speaking for all of us Camaro owners, just something I have observed in my small world.) I used to check in every day to see what is going on and now I find myself coming here maybe once a week. Viewing and responding to subjects has become more of a task then simplistic method of the old setup. I liked seeing everything at once and clicking and viewing each subject and following the threads I thought interesting. It's not that easy anymore. And since I am not checking in as often, I can only assume others are not as well which is why there is now less topics and responses to view and less people coming in...kind of like a self fulfilling prophecy. Maybe it is just me and I am resisting change. I really hate to see anything that is successful get changed...after all...if it ain't broke, don't fix it (unless its an old Camaro and you're bored). Anyway...I agree that there seems to be less activity, which is sad...hopefully things will pick up and this is just a growing pain of the new forum.

Ahhh, but the old forum WAS broken.  Thus the need for a fix.  While it was broken, it was a good time to implement a more feature-rich forum that is easier to manage, easier for members to manage their own accounts, easier to display images, easier to search, etc.

You will learn the new features, you'll realize that the old forum was highly limited in what it offered, and you'll come to love the new way. 

clwilcox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 04:27:11 AM »
The best thing I like about the forum over at Team Camaro, is the ability to click on the "New Posts" and "Today's Posts".  It lets you see everything that is new no matter what forum it is in.  Is there such a tool for this site that is already there and I haven't seen it yet? Or that can be implemented?  It has the feel of our old forum here as well for those that liked it.  One thing I REALLY do like about this forum vs. the TC forum, is the "All" button for threads that are multiple pages.
Christropher
1967 RS/SS 350......in pieces still.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 12:53:04 PM »
Try the "show unread posts since last visit", it keeps me up to date with one click. I too don't like change for the sake of changeing, but this is an improvement. It will just take some time to get used to. Thanks to everyone that puts effort into this forum, be it an administrator or just someone helping out with an answer!
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 08:08:43 AM »
Hey guys.  I just joined on here.  But I've been on TC for a while.

As far as this forum being in/active, I have to admit that I didnt even know it existed until a few days ago.  I could be in the minority of those that dont know of this forum, but I would have thought that I would have known of it before now.  Ive looked through a lot of stuff on the CRG site, but never noticed the forum here.  So obviously I cant add anything to the new vs. old layout discussion.

One question.  On TC, when you hold the mouse pointer over a topic for a second or so, it gives you a "preview" of whats there.  Is that available on here, as a setting?  Not a real big deal, but I like to use that feature as a tool to know whether or not to look into it further.

Yeah, yeah.  I know its a 2nd gen in my avatar  ::), but most of my knowledge is in the 1st gens.

dave
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:12:58 AM by RamAirDave »
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

anything