Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Steering Column Paint Question

(1/3) > >>

tonybowtie:
I am installing a rebuilt GM tilt wheel column. It came painted black but I need to paint it blue. When installed there is a gap between the plastic column cover and the head of the column exposing a few inches of the wiring harness on the underside. My question is did GM paint the harness that is exposed or was the harness installed after the column was painted? If I need to remove the harness for painting, where can I find that procedure?
Thanks for any help.

69Z28-RS:
Wiring harnesses should not have paint on them (not from the factory).  Parts are painted independently prior to assembly in the manufacturing process.

69Z28-RS:
I may be wrong with my prior response...  I found a prior post by JohnZ where he states:

"The columns were received from Saginaw Steering Gear in black primer, and painted interior color at the car assembly plant; the tag defined the TYPE of column (regular column shift, regular floor shift, tilt column shift, tilt floor shift, etc.)."

It's not clear if the wiring harness was a part of the steering column at that point or not...?  Maybe johnZ can respond to this?

Mike S:
John Z may be correct (I'm sure). My 67 NOR has what looks like black paint (or maybe primer from Saginaw?) on portions of the flat ribbon cable coming out of the inside area of the column. Not the whole harness but just a portion closest to the column.

tonybowtie:
Can anyone say how far down the column was the column and harness painted the interior color? I've seen a 67 coupe where the column and harness were painted down to just past the bracket but I'm not sure it's original.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page