Author Topic: 67 SS Power Drum M/C Confusion  (Read 2220 times)

tonybowtie

• View Profile
67 SS Power Drum M/C Confusion
« on: May 14, 2016, 03:53:20 AM »
I am restoring a 67 SS with power drum brakes. Car was built in Norwood in 10-66. I am trying to figure out what is original and what is not. The booster has 0749 stamped on the back (facing rear) of booster tab and 209 on the front. According to your research the number is correct but should it be on the front? Secondly the master cylinder is stamped 5452310 but it does not have bleeders. According to your research the number is for a manual drum brake. However I have seen pics of 67 power drum master cylinders without bleeders. In fact, one of the illustrations on your site where it discusses this issue is of a master cylinder w/o bleeders attached to a power booster. So. as you see it's confusing. I guess my question is have you definitively concluded that all 67 camaros with power drums had m/c's with bleeders? If so, I'll toss mine and look for a proper one.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 04:38:49 AM by tonybowtie »

tonybowtie

• View Profile
Re: 67 SS Power Drum M/C Confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 06:00:23 AM »
Please never mind original post. I am convinced I have a replacement M/C. anyone know where I can get a 5460465  BS stamped M/C?

TRLAND

• View Profile
Re: 67 SS Power Drum M/C Confusion
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 10:07:25 PM »
I had to keep searching for a suitable rebuildable or rebuilt on eBay.  I eventually found one but there don't seem to be a lot of 5460465 castings around. For drum brakes make sure to check a rebuilt for residual pressure valves or put them in if you are rebuilding one yourself. I found out that those are often left out of rebuilds and ended up putting them in myself on the one I got.  Your question and confusion about the pics was addressed here:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=13164.0
Mike in Northern Illinois
1967 RS 327

anything