Author Topic: Windshield date code - LX or IX?  (Read 3442 times)

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
Windshield date code - LX or IX?
« on: May 12, 2016, 01:49:05 PM »
I am replacing the windshield in my 69 RS/SS with a date-coded replacement.  I have taken several pictures of the stamp on it, but it is hard to make out the date code due to debris on the glass.  I have tried to blow the area out with compressed air and get behind there to clean it, but the A-pillar support is right up against the glass and there is no way to get anything in there to clean it - can't even slip a piece of paper behind it.  Take a look and let me know what you think.  I am leaning towards "LX" at this time.  Car is a Sept 68 build date.

Closer view of date stamp:

I think I see the lower bar of the "L" - this is a "stencil" type font, so there would be a gap between the  horizontal and vertical bar of the "L".  Do you guys agree?

Thanks!

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield date code - LX or IX?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
Looks like 'LX' to me; which would make the mfg date to be Mar 1968 (6 months before your Sept car build date).  What are the date codes on your other glasses?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 02:00:47 PM »
I haven't looked.  I can check them tonight, but wouldn't be surprised if they are all over the place, considering that this is a very early build, and it is a convertible.  There are some other oddities with this car, such as a jack instruction sticker that shows a Firebird instead of Camaro, and it has a Firebird deluxe rear seat bottom.  It is all original, so I know these were not parts that were switched out along the way.  It is a VN build, BTW.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 10:28:47 AM »
Looks like LX to me. I wonder if the plants may have used the retooling period for the incoming new model year to pull any parts still remaining in inventory to the front? If so, could possibly explain a March windshield in a September car, maybe even the Firebird parts too......
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 12:31:28 PM »
I've seen a couple of Camaros with mixed interior parts like you describe, and sometimes see it in other car models.  It's the early cars and their oddities I find most interesting.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 01:28:39 PM »
 I'd agree with LX

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »
My car has an LV dated drivers door window, and the 'L' is identical to the one shown above. The etched letter style has the same gap between the horizontal and vertical lines. I'll grab a picture in the morning (dark now) if that would help?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway