Author Topic: Wiring diagram center console (D55) & instrument cluster (U17)  (Read 11199 times)

my69Z28camaro

• View Profile
Where can I find for my 1969 Z28, the wiring diagram(s) for the center console (D55) and instrument cluster (U17)? I have the 1969 AIM and the Fisher Body Service Manual, but do not seem to be able to locate those wiring diagrams in those manuals. I am have NO lights for the console gauges and for the rear of console light. All of the fuses look okay, but I am not even sure which fuse might be applicable. All dash gauges / idiot lights work okay.
69 Z28 RS X33 50 A 713 Endura Console Rosewood

HawkX66

• View Profile
Re: Wiring diagram center console (D55) & instrument cluster (U17)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »
AIM UPC U17 A2
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 06:48:12 PM »
AIM UPC U17 A2
That seems to only show where various bits are located physically - no wiring diag. ?

This link is for 68 rs, but may give you some ideas.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=3580

No lights usually points to a bad earth problem, though you would probably have gauge issues as well, so more likely the + volts for the console lights has gone missing somewhere, perhaps where the console wiring connects into the dash harness.
In any event, the console lights should connect to the dash lights which get their + volts from the headlight switch which then feeds via the dimmer rheostat [rotation of headlight switch]
Do the dash lights work ok and do they brighten/dim up and down when you rotate the headlight switch?
Bear in mind that because your missing a number of lights off the chain [= less loading on the dimmer] the dash lights may not dim as much as they ought to.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

my69Z28camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 07:13:42 PM »
Dave: Thank you for the reply. I was aware of that page in the AIM and as Rob said it really only showed the harness and not a wiring diagram of it.

Rob: Thank you for the hyperlink to the wiring diagram. Now in conjunction with some of the pages in the AIM for D55, I can get into the console and check the voltages at the connector and then start chasing the problem. By the way, I failed to mention that the console gauges all work and the low fuel indicator also works. That is a little interesting now that I have the wiring diagram and can see the schematic, gauges work but not the light bulbs . . . hmmmm. Anyway, appreciate your suggestions too. But I still have to wonder why this wiring diagram is NOT in the AIM or the Fisher Body Manual?

my69Z28camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 07:31:51 PM »
Rob: Went back and re-read your comments. Thanks again. Sorry, I forgot to say that YES the dash instrument and lights all work. As to diming and level, not sure if it dims to the correct level but they do dim. I would think the resistance loading (Ohms) of those 4 bulbs would be insignificant in the overall scheme of loading/diming. Now that I have the schematic, what is "interesting" is that the gauge lights and rear light are on 2 separate circuits. The gauge lights should come ON when the headlights are turn ON by the headlight dash switch. I "THINK" the rear console light should come on when one of the doors is opened. Is my thinking correct? As such, what then is still missing in the wiring diagram(s) is how this ties into the main wiring harness of AIM D1/2/3/4?

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:58:49 PM »
Yes, the 4 lights missing off the chain would only have a marginal effect on the dimming [but noticeable] of the dash lights.
I think there are different part numbers for the headlight switches which have different rheostat resistances which allows for different options a car may have vs. number of lights.
I had also noticed that the rear light is on a separate circuit and I can't remember for certain, but it may be connected to the door switches so it only comes on with the interior light.
And yes again, we are still missing some detail.
I'm going to have a look through some other books I have, I'm sure I have seen circuits somewhere in something I have???
Back soon - bedtime for me [now 4:00am] This place is too much fun!!!!  :D
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:01:41 PM »
AIM UPC U17 A2
That seems to only show where various bits are located physically - no wiring diag. ?

A2 shows colors of wires and where they go etc. Not exactly like, but effectively a schematic. I didn't get into it in detail, but it seemed like a close look would show where the wires go. I haven't used it to re-wire anything so I could be wrong.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 11:43:51 PM »
Lifted this of TC:
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

my69Z28camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »
Dave: Thank you for the comments. However, those colors and the View B are related to C60 and Z28's do not have a C60, Therefore, I believe that it is not applicable.

Rob: Thank you for more comments. In doing some more review. I think that on AIM D55 A6, ref. 1 harness 6297556 goes under the dash where the U17 schematic references and that ref. 2 harness 6297580 is not used when U17 occurs. Instead on AIM U17 A2 ref 3 harness 6297581 is used for the gauges lights and the pigtail by the boxed View A probably goes back to the rear light and this fits into the U17 schematic references. More interesting is AIM U17 A3 ref. 3 harness 6295058 that comes from the bulkhead connector and runs forward to numerous places. Again there is no wiring diagram for this too and when I tried to look at the bulkhead connector on mine the brake booster hides it. A check on the temperature sensor shows a Dark Green wire coming off it and into that harness and just like the AIM 12 D1 schematic indicates. A second Black wire probably about 16 gauge but maybe 14 gauge is coming off the horn relay and going into that harness, as show on AIM U17 A3 View A. Ultimately, is this the 14 Black wire of the U17 schematic that connects to the battery gauge, could be since reading the AIM 12 D's and with a non-U17 in mind the horn relay is in the power circuits and GEN idiot light.

Hopefully, you got some sleep and if you find some information in the books please let me know, otherwise I am going to tear into the D55 console and see what I can actually find.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 07:22:29 PM »
Check out Jim Osborn's book # MP50  1967-69 Camaro RS ( console gauge & headlight wiring diagram manual ) most venders sell it.
If you have 12v ( lights on ) at pin 10 ( gray) at console/dash connector then you are missing the ground circuit for the console lights.
If you have 12v at pin 1 ( orn ) at console/dash connector then you are missing the ground circuit at pin 5 ( wht ) made thru grounded open door sw.
Your assumptions in your #1 post are correct.
Bob

my69Z28camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 05:50:09 PM »
Bob: Thank you for your comments.

To all: Found the problem. Once I was able to get to under the dash harness connector and got it apart I found several bent pins. Whoever previously push it together must have used gorilla force or whatever. Anyway, once I straighten out all of the pins and reconnected it. Success! Thanks for all the previous suggestions.

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 10:03:09 AM »
Excellent!! Not only did you get it working, but you could see exactly why it wasn't working. Techs like to achieve both answers and even the next step 'how did it get into a faulty situation in the first place'.
From my experience, I can say that that with regard to 'how' and as you quite rightly noted, one has to be careful with pin alignment and proceed with caution and sensitive touch.

With many male/female connectors of this type where the connectors are sitting inside cavity's of the plastic/bakelite housing, the wire/s may be tensioning the pins a little one way or the other and with the clearance between the pin and cavity walls, can allow the other end of a pin to be moved off centre far enough such that it doesn't align adequately with it's mating hole and can end up getting bent over.

4 pin molex connectors as used in computers are serial offenders of this problem, especially when trying to plug in an extension/adapter cable.
They're reasonably chunky pins that don't bend easily, but I've been to hell and back on more than one occasion trying to complete a mundane/routine task as connecting an adapter cable.

It was lucky that no pins were broken off in your cars connector.  :o . Straightening them back again can require even more of a delicate touch.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »
Bob: Thank you for your comments.

To all: Found the problem. Once I was able to get to under the dash harness connector and got it apart I found several bent pins. Whoever previously push it together must have used gorilla force or whatever. Anyway, once I straighten out all of the pins and reconnected it. Success! Thanks for all the previous suggestions.
Glad to hear it. I started R&Ring my console gauges last night. For anyone else that might come across this, I'll post a couple of pictures of the wiring.

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!