Author Topic: 69 Camaro Standard Steering Column Spring  (Read 3845 times)

blackss69

• View Profile
69 Camaro Standard Steering Column Spring
« on: May 01, 2016, 11:48:46 PM »
I have a 69 Camaro with the standard steering column floor shift.  I have started to put the column together from pieces and find I am missing the "Shift Tube Spring".  This is item number 27 in the Service Manual.  It is called out in Step 7 in the Assembly Procedures in the Service Manual.  It looks like it is by the Shift Tube Lock Plate (item 26). 

I do not have the spring and wonder if there is really a spring in the column and if so could someone tell me the dimensions of the spring.  I looked at the column and really can't see where it would go if I had one (there is no wear where a spring would have gone).   

Thanks for your help. 

Black and Blue Camaros. 

z28z11

• View Profile
Re: 69 Camaro Standard Steering Column Spring
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 02:35:05 AM »
Yes, there is a spring in the assembly - here's the pic, dimensions as follows:

Length: .825", ground flat on both ends.

Outside diameter: .9875"

Inside diameter: .771"

Coil (wire) thickness: .106"

You'll need to buy or fabricate a compressor to depress the top cover plate under this spring's pressure in order to push the keeper in place. A little cumbersome, but have patience -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »
I remember that puppy! Makes it hard to get the clip ring installed :)  I may have an extra, where are you located? 

blackss69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:24:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  The spring in the picture looks to me like the spring under the lock plate.  I have this spring.  You are right about compressing the lock plate to remove the round ring retainer.  I have the tool and it makes it easier.

The spring I wonder about is smaller and sits between the ignition/turn signal housing and the "dummy" shift housing (since it is a floor shift).  I think the spring mentioned is used only if you have a column shift, but I'm not sure.  I think the illustration is confusing in the Service Manual.  I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:49:14 PM »
Ah, I think there was a spring behind the auto column shift arm, so that it would spring back when putting it in gear. 

blackss69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 06:39:03 PM »
Looking at the lower shroud of the column and you can see a casting location that would allow a 5/16 or 3/8 inch spring to be installed.  This casting location is in the same place as the reinforcement for a shift lever.  Since it is a floor shift there is no shift lever.  So I think it is as Kevin W responded.  If there was a shift lever you would need a spring.  The column goes together fine without the spring so I really do not think it was used for a floor shift column.

I looked at the parts in the area involved and there was no wear like you would see if the spring were once installed.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Black and Blue Camaros