Author Topic: LOS TB (no P) inspection tag possibility?  (Read 7994 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
LOS TB (no P) inspection tag possibility?
« on: April 29, 2016, 01:24:30 PM »
Hello list,
    While putting some of my 67's LOS found documents in another storage safe, I glanced through them (as I have done many times before) and then it suddenly hit me about this one tag. I understand LOS did not use the PBT ink stamps on the firewall, but could this have been how those inspections were done at LOS? Aside from the missing 'P' box, which maybe was due to how Fisher operated at LOS  (vs. NOR) as per John Z, could the 'B' & 'T' stand for Body and Trim? It looks like the punch is 'SS', which I assume is the inspectors identification, though coincidentally enough the car is an SS. The 556 hand written numbers are the last 3 digits on the cars trim tag in the body number location and as listed on the UOIT. The 1 & 2 boxes could possibly be 1st and 2nd shift?

About the water stain......when I first bought the car I never looked for any paperwork because at that time it wasn't so important. One day I got caught in a heavy rain storm and the next day I found the carpet very wet by the drivers foot. After removing the console and rug I found a group of papers inside a folded thicker document that I learned later from Kurt was the UOIT. This was taped to the tunnel and even has some sort of body over-spray along one edge. Some of the documents, including this tag, were wet. Oh, the cause of the leak was a very loose steering column to firewall rubber seal.

Anyways, just curious about if this is the way Fisher at LOS inspected their cars.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:19:17 PM by Mike S »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: LOS TB (no P) inspection tag possibility?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 02:22:54 AM »
I would say you ideas as plausible - but unfortunately I can not confirm them.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 02:45:48 AM »
 That would be interesting to see if this theory is correct, Bryon. Also, the tag is actually yellowed from age though the picture shows it as white. The camera's white balance is not set. I also blocked a section in white on purpose in case any scrupulous people outside of CRG get a hold of the pic and try to make fake tags.

Mike

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »
I believe I've seen those for other plants too.
Kurt S
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »
Hi Kurt,

Like the Camaro, I figure other Fisher plants also inspected with their version of PBT. Do you think this may be a tag for that purpose instead of using ink stamps on the firewall?

Mike

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 10:12:29 PM »
.. OR perhaps a record for the plant's purpose to reflect the T and B stamping on the car itself...?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

tar6569

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
I'd love to find one of those in a fullsize cars.  I've seen inspection tickets but not one like that.  Were there any other items folded up inside the UOIT?
Warren

1964-1970 fullsize Chevrolet research

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 02:18:34 AM »
Do you think this may be a tag for that purpose instead of using ink stamps on the firewall?
Yes.

I don't recall seeing any other vehicles with PBT stamps on the firewall. Anyone?
Kurt S
CRG

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 02:32:22 AM »
Do you think this may be a tag for that purpose instead of using ink stamps on the firewall?
Yes.

I don't recall seeing any other vehicles with PBT stamps on the firewall. Anyone?

I don't know of any either. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 03:23:32 AM »
I'd love to find one of those in a fullsize cars.  I've seen inspection tickets but not one like that.  Were there any other items folded up inside the UOIT?
  There was an interior trim options tag with the others. Written in purple ink and almost childish scribble that was likely from writing with nothing firm under the paper, but it has some number then 760 from what I can make of it. My interior code is 760.

Mike

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 03:05:36 PM »
I understand LOS did not use the PBT ink stamps on the firewall, but could this have been how those inspections were done at LOS? Aside from the missing 'P' box, which maybe was due to how Fisher operated at LOS  (vs. NOR) as per John Z, could the 'B' & 'T' stand for Body and Trim? It looks like the punch is 'SS', which I assume is the inspectors identification, though coincidentally enough the car is an SS. The 556 hand written numbers are the last 3 digits on the cars trim tag in the body number location and as listed on the UOIT. The 1 & 2 boxes could possibly be 1st and 2nd shift?
Anyways, just curious about if this is the way Fisher at LOS inspected their cars.

Mike

I'd say you deduced exactly how the system worked at LOS - nicely done!
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »
 Thank you, John. I guess the next question is about paint inspection. Do you know if that was done separately first and if it passed then it went to 'B' & 'T' inspection -or- could that have been part of 'B' body.

Thanks,
Mike

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 04:11:20 PM »
Thank you, John. I guess the next question is about paint inspection. Do you know if that was done separately first and if it passed then it went to 'B' & 'T' inspection -or- could that have been part of 'B' body.

Thanks,
Mike

Those (Fisher Body) buyoff inspections were all done in the same location, at the end of the Fisher Trim Shop, before the (firewall-back) body was shipped through the wall to Chevrolet. By the end of 1967, there was no more Fisher Body at Van Nuys - that's when GMAD (GM Assembly Division) took over the previously Fisher Body/Chevrolet operation.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »
Great info..!!..