Author Topic: Markings on factory orignal Camaros  (Read 6132 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Markings on factory orignal Camaros
« on: December 27, 2006, 04:49:42 PM »
I am starting to see "restored" Camaros with all kinds of paint and chalk markings on tihings like front suspension, rear leaf springs, and a "DZ" chalk mark on a 69 Z Cylinder head. Were all of these markings on original cars? And if they were, does somebody have pic's of orginal cars, or just how do we know this?

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Markings on factory orignal Camaros
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 07:34:58 PM »
These "markings" get carried to extremes, and some restored cars start to look like underhood graffiti galleries; original cars had very few normally-visible markings.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 09:57:11 PM »
Common sense would also echo John's comment.  If most of the car had visible markings, selling the car would have been more difficult.  After all, who would want to by a new car with a bunch of visible inspection marks.  As indicated - classic case of over restoring beyond what was "original" for most cars.   On my '69RS I have only one inspection mark that I am aware of - and it was on the steering column.  See the following for John's coment on the mark:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=550.0
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 10:01:10 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 03:00:06 AM »
I replicate only the markings that are found and that I have documented on the original components for that particular car.

example:

Some cars I have found to have quite a few, while some have very few.  And no two have had the same set markings.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 03:10:32 AM by RamAirDave »
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 04:50:29 AM »
I'm only putting back what I find. I'm "soft-cleaning" everything looking for them. As Roger Gibson so wisely advised, "Start the restoration before you ever turn a bolt." Making sense of what I'm finding is my prob...chuckle. Nicely preserved marks, Dave! Again, thanks to all who have helped me. This is a great bunch!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 03:08:46 PM »
These "markings" get carried to extremes, and some restored cars start to look like underhood graffiti galleries; original cars had very few normally-visible markings.

I agree with John.  I had very few under hood markings at all.  So, I didn't add any because others did.

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

anything