Author Topic: Correct AM AC Delco radio and front dash speaker  (Read 3122 times)

gwp4

• View Profile
Correct AM AC Delco radio and front dash speaker
« on: April 24, 2016, 05:40:24 PM »
Hello fellow CRG'ers:

I'm hoping someone out there can let me know the correct stock model numbers for an AM AC Delco radio and AC Delco front dash speaker used in a base 1968 Camaro coupe.  Many thanks. 

My68SS

• View Profile
Re: Correct AM AC Delco radio and front dash speaker
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:06:33 PM »
Hi gwp4 and your first post I see, so an extra big welcome for you. Hope you enjoy your time here.  :)
Do you have a copy of the 68 AIM [assembly instruction manual]? It's downloadable from this site [somewhere] It alone has a wealth of information on how a 68 was put together on the assembly line including part numbers for many items.
But be warned, once you start reading it you will be transported to a 'Camaro' universe where you will not be able to stop reading it!!  :D

What I can see so far on page UPC63 A2 of the AIM is a drawing of the front speaker and how it is assembled into the dash and it quotes part number 7298001
It also shows a bracket attached to the speaker magnet which bolts to another bracket on the body to mount the speaker.

There are other radio gurus on this site, so hopefully they can chime in with more details.
I'd have to double check, but I believe the speaker was 10 ohm and of only modest power [watts] - the radios are only single ended output [1 power transistor] so only capable of a few watts power.
Must have a look under my dash, the orig speaker may still be there. My car had been fitted with a pair of 6 x 9's in the rear when I bought it [many moons ago now]

There is a warning label on the radio case, to not turn the radio on without a speaker attached.
In any event, I would get a tech to look over the/any radio if only for bad electro capacitors. The ones I have looked at have had power filter caps that were in a very sorry state!
The radio may still work, but it will be prone to ignition and other interference noise and distortion of the audio.

The AM radio part number/model number is 7297901. Can post up pics if you need - let me know.

Also, we demand pics of your car! We don't care what state it's in, we just wanna see  :D
Cheers, Rob
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

Hans L

• View Profile
Re: Correct AM AC Delco radio and front dash speaker
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 07:34:08 PM »
Though for Chevelles, this site does a good job explaining Delco radios.

http://www.chevelles.com/radiotech/
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed