Author Topic: Lug wrench color & retaining straps - follow up  (Read 8626 times)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Lug wrench color & retaining straps - follow up
« on: December 27, 2006, 04:48:48 AM »
Back in the Jan - Feb '06 time frame, there was a question if the lug wrench was gray.  I believe the general consensus was that the lug wrench was black, but were any of them gray?  I have seen gray lug wrenches on other older (non-Camaro) Chevrolets. Jerry MacNeish's book calls out the semi-gloss gray paint on all jack components, and gold or silver cad for the jack post.  I went ahead and painted my lug wrench gray but I could be wrong (technically) on this, for a 69 Camaro.

Does anyone out there still have their original jack assembly to show the color of the lub wrench?

JohnZ.......regarding the rubber straps, you noted that you still had one on your jack.  Was it about 4" long?  Could you post a pic of your jack with the sleeve and ruler along slide?

A friend with a 69Z and I together purchased some replacement rubber that came in about 12" stock lengths.  If I recall, I had seen a straps on an original car that were about 4" long so we cut the 12" stock in to 4" lengths.  The 69 AIM manual, p. 136 covering the spare tire and jack stowage, calls out the rubber straps as P/N-4778650.  They appear shorter that 4" as someone noted in the earlier post on this topic.

Attached are pics of my jack assy and detail pic of the strap.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lug wrench color & retaining straps - follow up
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 07:41:08 PM »
My '69 02D original lug wrench is black. The car isn't here right now, but I'll check the rubber sleeve when it's back in the garage.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68rsssrag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 07:45:08 AM »
My lug nut wrench was black and I still have one strap about 6 inches long. I will have to dig it out to measure accurately.

Arno

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 01:51:31 AM »
My 10-D-68 BB SS has a black lug wrench.
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 02:00:36 AM »
30, 60 or 100% gloss black?
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 03:03:33 AM »
Gary,
Hard to say for sure.  Somewhere between 60% - 100% gloss.
It was used many times and has a petina.

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 11:40:58 PM »
How is the wrench ID'd. Is there a letter cast in the socket end? An "A" or "O"?
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 03:22:53 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have not been on the site for quite some time, so I have some catching up to do.

At the time I restored my car I did not have any pic documentation of unrestored 69's to know what color to paint the lug wrench.  The previous owner painted mine high gloss black (along with about everything else black on the car). 

I based the color on Jerry MacNeish's book, The Definitive 1969 Camaro Z/28 - SS396 Fact Book.  In Appendix E, he stated the bumper jack base was semi-gloss gray (which mine is), but I guess I was not sure about the lug wrench and painted it the same.

Can some one post a pic of an unrestored original?  That would be great. 

I'll correct mine.

PS: This is the only pic I have of an unrestored jack and pole.  It’s from the original owner of a 1970 Nova (a great original car, in perfect condition!),  but I can not see the lug wrench.

Note the Argent Siler overspray on the semi-gloss black on the inside of the rim.  This is also typical on 69 Camaros with Rally wheels, and if I am not mistaken, on all 1st Gen's with Rally wheels.

Thanks! 

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »
Re-riving a old post here but have some questions on this same subject.

Anyone have a pic of an early jack & base for a 68?  Looking 4 for somewhere around the 12D build date of my car.

Second, did all the jacks have the date stamped into the rivet?

Third, any answer to this question below?
How is the wrench ID'd. Is there a letter cast in the socket end? An "A" or "O"?

Thanks, Chris.
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

anything