Author Topic: Windshield dam dimensions  (Read 15463 times)

HawkX66

• View Profile
Windshield dam dimensions
« on: April 19, 2016, 01:02:04 PM »
What were the dimensions of the dam used for installing the windshield?

Thanks.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Windshield dam dimensions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:53:29 PM »
The dam supplied in a kit supplied by a customer is just shy 1/4"x3/8" on both dimensions. Dams and urethane is cheaper through glass suppliers than those sold by others. A qualified tech can lay a clean bead without a dam.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 11:49:54 AM »
The dam supplied in a kit supplied by a customer is just shy 1/4"x3/8" on both dimensions. Dams and urethane is cheaper through glass suppliers than those sold by others. A qualified tech can lay a clean bead without a dam.

Thanks a lot Scott. I'll be doing it myself. Do you think something like this dam and urethane would be ok? These two don't seem too out of line price wise.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G0PBHU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35K36EBR01KSA&coliid=I3D1EGUEGG68K4

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RW1XCK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35K36EBR01KSA&coliid=I10NL94270TQ1I
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 06:27:08 PM »
Dave, I generally have a glass tech do my installations and would would ask him what product is currently the best. There is DOW and Sika also. C.R. Laurence in your link is a big distributor, as well as GT Glass and Marcy. Prices vary but if you have Amazon Prime then shipping is free. Try your local jobber too. Some urethane is primerless to glass but still needs a primer to the windshield channel bed.

Technically, the bed should not be painted and only have epoxy on it. This is often on the tech sheet. I tape mine off prior to painting the car. However, for decades we always painted the beds without any problems. It is a liability issue for the glass and urethane companies. The foam in the link appears to be what you want. Here is another sample:https://www.gtglass.com/auto-glass-replacement-tools/windshield-moldings-and-auto-glass-tape/windshield-replacement-foam-installation-tape

The application tip should be cut in a "V" to lay the bead correctly and at the proper height.

Like anything else, there are forums for professional glass techs.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:56:11 PM by Sauron327 »

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 06:56:09 PM »
This topic could not have come at a better time. I was struggling to find what the size of the dam was. Thanks for posting those links!
I did order the Sika Titan adhesive that was mentioned from a past threat from that guy who sold a kit with a close look to the cloth in the dam. I think he mentioned that he cut the tips in the kits before sending but when I ordered two tubes of Sika from Amazon, the tips came pre-cut with a 1/4" cut at the widest part of the V.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 11:51:29 AM »
Dave, I generally have a glass tech do my installations and would would ask him what product is currently the best. There is DOW and Sika also. C.R. Laurence in your link is a big distributor, as well as GT Glass and Marcy. Prices vary but if you have Amazon Prime then shipping is free. Try your local jobber too. Some urethane is primerless to glass but still needs a primer to the windshield channel bed.

Technically, the bed should not be painted and only have epoxy on it. This is often on the tech sheet. I tape mine off prior to painting the car. However, for decades we always painted the beds without any problems. It is a liability issue for the glass and urethane companies. The foam in the link appears to be what you want. Here is another sample:https://www.gtglass.com/auto-glass-replacement-tools/windshield-moldings-and-auto-glass-tape/windshield-replacement-foam-installation-tape

The application tip should be cut in a "V" to lay the bead correctly and at the proper height.

Like anything else, there are forums for professional glass techs.
Thanks a lot Scott. That was perfect. I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with the window channel. Jam it or just prime it. Sounds like the best route is to just lay my epoxy primer then tape off a strip for the adhesive before painting. I'll have to think about that.

This topic could not have come at a better time. I was struggling to find what the size of the dam was. Thanks for posting those links!
I did order the Sika Titan adhesive that was mentioned from a past threat from that guy who sold a kit with a close look to the cloth in the dam. I think he mentioned that he cut the tips in the kits before sending but when I ordered two tubes of Sika from Amazon, the tips came pre-cut with a 1/4" cut at the widest part of the V.

Mike
Glad I got the timing right for you Mike. I saw those kits you mentioned too, but $100 or whatever it was was pretty rough. I think we'll be good to go with how we're doing it. I've done windshields before, but just on daily drivers. It wasn't hard. I just wanted to get my Camaro as "right" as possible.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 12:10:46 PM »
Hi Dave,

Yea....I thought $100 was steep after I added up the cost of the adhesive and see the price of the dam from the link you posted. If I were building a museum car then I'd fork over the $100 just to have the cloth style dam, but I'm building a local show car and weekend chick.....I mean, family cruiser  8)
  I've done a few windshields before so I have the dry run routines down pretty good before applying the adhesive. The tips from the Titan tubes from Amazon coming pre-cut should take the guesswork out of how the adhesive is applied.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 03:05:58 PM »
Hi Dave,

Yea....I thought $100 was steep after I added up the cost of the adhesive and see the price of the dam from the link you posted. If I were building a museum car then I'd fork over the $100 just to have the cloth style dam, but I'm building a local show car and weekend chick.....I mean, family cruiser  8)
  I've done a few windshields before so I have the dry run routines down pretty good before applying the adhesive. The tips from the Titan tubes from Amazon coming pre-cut should take the guesswork out of how the adhesive is applied.

Mike
I'd like to have that cloth style one too, but I think we'll live without it. I agree about Titan. That's pretty slick. I'll probably grab that instead of the 3M just for that reason. It actually comes out less than the 3M cost wise too. Thanks for pointing it out.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

Spooky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
So if it was already painted, sand the top coat off?

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 09:45:10 PM »
You do not have to sand the topcoat off provided the prep is correct. The companies are concerned with poor topcoat adhesion due to poor workmanship which can result in glass retention failure upon impact. Fewer variables, less chance of failure. It is preferable by glass techs who know the industry to install glass over epoxy. New cars are covered under their own manufacturing scrutiny, collision repairs have different guidlelines.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 04:28:01 PM »
The original inner foam dam appears to be latex covered foam approx 1/4"-3/8" at the base and is about 1/2" to 9/16" tall tapering to a blunt rounded end.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 10:55:30 PM »
The original inner foam dam appears to be latex covered foam approx 1/4"-3/8" at the base and is about 1/2" to 9/16" tall tapering to a blunt rounded end.

Thanks James. Sounds like what I got might be too short.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 12:48:24 AM »
I have a car torn apart with an original roof skin.  A 5/8"(.625) dam height added to glass thickness, urethane and molding will result in a glass elevation that is too high. 

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 01:25:52 AM »
I have a car torn apart with an original roof skin.  A 5/8"(.625) dam height added to glass thickness, urethane and molding will result in a glass elevation that is too high. 
Thanks Scott. I have my windshield out right now. I'll take some measurements just to verify how high I need to be before I do anything.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »
The dam height is not the finished height, the dam actually rolls over on installation.
If completely vertical it would be 7/16" NOT 9/16" and as fitted the installed height is only 1/4-3/8".

I will post photos later.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa