Author Topic: Trunk Spatter Paint Color for 1st Gens.  (Read 50307 times)

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
Re: Trunk Spatter Paint Color for 1st Gens.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 11:53:09 PM »
My 04A 68 Norwood has the black/gray pattern
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

daytho1

• View Profile
    • My Camaro
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 01:53:48 PM »
My 67 Norwood has the black/grey combo.
67 250, Bolero Red, N25
Check Out My Restoration Pages: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=306096&ck=

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 02:09:03 AM »
Attached are pics of the splatter paint from a survivor 69 Pace Car. The car's build date is 03D.  The splatter paint is black/aqua.

As JohnZ noted about how the splatter paint not to "splatter" up onto the body color area of the gutter, the splatter paint on the RH side was up to the area where the gutter wrapped in to the trunk area.  I don't recall that the LH side was similar. Also note the splatter paint on the trunk latch and bolts, and around the underside of the tail light housings.

I have seen other unrestored 69's and the splatter paint has appeared black/aqua and varied greatly in the spray patterns throughout the trunk.   

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 02:11:20 AM »
OOOOPS, pulled the trigger and forgot the pictures!

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 02:13:12 AM »
Here are a couple of more....

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 10:50:39 AM »
My trunk on my 67 is aqua and black. I have never seen anything other than that, not to say there wasn't the other.

dab67

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 06:10:42 AM »
At what point during the assembly of the car was the splatter paint applied? After the filler neck,tail lights,bumper brackets were installed or before?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 04:33:18 PM »
At what point during the assembly of the car was the splatter paint applied? After the filler neck,tail lights,bumper brackets were installed or before?

The trunk spatter paint was applied in the Paint Shop, when the body was just a shell, long before any trim or hardware parts were installed.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 02:30:46 PM »
Two vendors are making the correct truck spatter paint for first gen Camaros.  Larry Christensen at Camaros Plus in Arvada, CO and Brian Henderson at Supercar Workshop in LaTrobe, PA.  Both are the accepted standard in concours judging and pretty damn close to the original.  A professional pressure gun is needed to apply this paint.  If you are hoping to find the right stuff in a rattle can, forget it.

Jerry

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 07:30:12 PM »
Fortunately (I hope), I bought and used cans of original GM splatter paint years ago, for my restoration.  I must assume that it was GM over-the-counter service paint.  It looks very close to what I have observed in original/survivor cars.  However; I would agree with Jerry@CHP because of the batch lot and spray patterns with a pro spray guns may not match that from a repro rattle can.

If you do buy repro rattle cans (like most of us need to do), test it on card board and look at it for a day to two, to comparer it to the "original" splatter spray in your trunk.  Buy 3 – 4 cans and a couple cans of sealer made for splatter paint.  You may need touch-up paint at some point in the future.  If only the absolute correct spray is desired, Jerry provided several good sources.  I have purchased numerous parts from Larry C.  He has a very impressive lot of Camaros, and is a good resource for info.

Note in the pics that the camera flash can washout the color so that the black/aqua may look black/gray to black/white. So verify with documentation or pics of your own trunk paint if original to try and duplicate it.

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 06:28:53 PM »
The trunk spatter paint was applied in the Paint Shop, when the body was just a shell, long before any trim or hardware parts were installed.

John/Jerry,
Would the Shock Plates in a 68 have splatter on them?
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »
John/Jerry,
Would the Shock Plates in a 68 have splatter on them?

Nope. The shocks were installed many hours later by Chevrolet, on the other side of the plant.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 06:16:03 AM »
Thanks John!  One other thing, the steel cover for the gas filler neck, am I correct in assuming that it was hung in the trunk somewhere and sprayed then installed later like the ballast weights for convertibles...or maybe just put in place but not screwed down??
Chris P

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »
Thanks John!  One other thing, the steel cover for the gas filler neck, am I correct in assuming that it was hung in the trunk somewhere and sprayed then installed later like the ballast weights for convertibles...or maybe just put in place but not screwed down??

I'm not familiar with that detail on 68's, but the A.I.M. shows it as a Chevrolet-installed part, so it wouldn't be present in the Paint Shop; RatPack can give you a better answer.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 06:16:21 AM »
Thanks again John!
Chris P