Author Topic: Power Brake Booster Valve: A Comparison between Original vs Reproduction  (Read 20397 times)

70z28lt1

• View Profile
Re: Power Brake Booster Valve: A Comparison between Original vs Reproduction
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 03:19:14 PM »
We are a strange crowd I think...Pay good money for a shiny new white valve and then spend much time and money on figuring out how to make it change color!  It does keep it interesting.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Due to a Team Camaro thread I recently purchased a power booster valve that had more of a vanilla appearance off ebay to review as Liked the color of it compared to the refrigerator white looking valve and wanted to compare it to our NOS valve shown earlier that came off the May68 dated Delco Remy power booster/master cyl. assembly purchased from Jere Stahl (RIP). I just placed this information in my build thread but thought it should be posted here as well.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/29-forum-classifieds/425201-wtb-correct-68-power-brake-booster-check-valve.html
Original valve attached to hose. The repro has both a shade darker and the three circular dots are more pronounced but it looks very nice.

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

ZLP955

• View Profile
Looks good Chick, thanks for the comparison - certainly getting closer to the original aren't they.
I don't have one of the latest repro pieces myself, but from the photos, it looks like there are a couple of differences that are probably only noticeable when side-by-side with an original:
- the orientation of the 3 dots relative to the vacuum hose spigot varies (but that 'clocking' may even vary from valve to valve as part of the manufacturing process to join the two parts of the valve body?).
- some original valves seem to have a letter or number on at least one of the dots.
- the dishing of the hole in the center of the original valve seems a little deeper than on the new one.
- the inner raised ring appears thicker on the reproduction.
- the original valves seem to have a 'wavy' line (highly technical term!) around the face, between outer and inner raised rings; can't see clearly if the repro also has this.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Looks good Chick, thanks for the comparison - certainly getting closer to the original aren't they.
I don't have one of the latest repro pieces myself, but from the photos, it looks like there are a couple of differences that are probably only noticeable when side-by-side with an original:
- the orientation of the 3 dots relative to the vacuum hose spigot varies (but that 'clocking' may even vary from valve to valve as part of the manufacturing process to join the two parts of the valve body?).
- some original valves seem to have a letter or number on at least one of the dots.
- the dishing of the hole in the center of the original valve seems a little deeper than on the new one.
- the inner raised ring appears thicker on the reproduction.
- the original valves seem to have a 'wavy' line (highly technical term!) around the face, between outer and inner raised rings; can't see clearly if the repro also has this.
Dang Tim you really studied it. :) Yes there are some other differences as you noted but on the car they would be very difficult to review so my main concern was color as overall appearance has the correct look. My guess or assumption is the #1 on our original was a mold as they had to be making a ton of these for all the GM cars back in the day. Orientation of the 3 dots on the repro closely resembles some other originals I have and do note the original May68 time frame valve is somewhat different but that might have to do with which mold was used. I would not be surprised to know these valves are being made by the original supplier. Have to check out two Nova's that have original valves as well and friends 68 & 69 survivors.
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
That's much closer. I really notice the surface finish is different - I wonder if maybe they aren't using steel molds....
Kurt S
CRG

ZLP955

• View Profile
.....and as stated in the Team Camaro thread linked to in Chick's post, credit goes to Bentley for finding and tipping us off to the latest reproduction valve, as per his ebay URL just above.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

68Zproject

• View Profile
Chick, Do you know if anything has changed from when this thread was last posted as far as a correct valve?  I was looking over threads on the boosters and found an amusing (to me) back and forth from some restorers on the correct finish of the booster and there was a reference to maybe getting Right Stuff to make correct components.  I searched their site and came up with nothing.  Just wondered if there were any being made that might be even closer to your original valve?
68Z28

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Chick, Do you know if anything has changed from when this thread was last posted as far as a correct valve?  I was looking over threads on the boosters and found an amusing (to me) back and forth from some restorers on the correct finish of the booster and there was a reference to maybe getting Right Stuff to make correct components.  I searched their site and came up with nothing.  Just wondered if there were any being made that might be even closer to your original valve?
What we have listed is the best repro that I'm aware of and is very close to originals. The new close looking one listed is a fairly new valve I believe.
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

cook_dw

• View Profile
I just ordered one a couple weeks ago.  Here it is installed.  Nothing has changed from above posts.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Good update.
Cook I like it when my Booster and master cover, match the bling on my teeth...( just messing with you cook)  ;D
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

ZLP955

• View Profile
Looks good Darrell!
Tim in Australia.

cook_dw

• View Profile
Good update.
Cook I like it when my Booster and master cover, match the bling on my teeth...( just messing with you cook)  ;D

Looks good Darrell!

Thanks Tim.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Good one Cook. That guy freaks me out man...
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV