Author Topic: Original hinges - rebuild (pic heavy)  (Read 2767 times)

HawkX66

• View Profile
Original hinges - rebuild (pic heavy)
« on: April 07, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »
One of the things I've been dreading is rebuilding the hinges on my car so I can final set my door gaps. That's one of those original things that I like to see stay original because I'll be looking at them every time I open the door. Here's what I did to keep them looking as original as possible. First I’ll show the pics of the passenger side breakdown. I couldn’t believe the factory used plastic bushings on the top hinge… If anyone would like to see another angle shot or something specific, let me know. I’m not posting all the pics I took.
Basically what I did was grind off just enough of the pin that is holding it in place to be able to drive it out. Luckily my pins and the roller were still like new. Just the bushings were getting bad. That’s why I was able to re-use them. From the top, you’ll never be able to tell I rebuilt them. Once I tack them from the bottom with my mig and dress the weld, you’ll be hard pressed to tell from the bottom too.

Top:

Plastic bushing…

Bottom:

Here you can see the different bushing sizes on the bottom hinge. You’ll have one bushing in your rebuild kit that will be a little different. It’s pretty obvious.

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Original hinges - rebuild (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 01:23:58 PM »
 My '67's have the plastic bushings on the top hinge also.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

anything