Author Topic: HBC warning. Not Made in the USA  (Read 26631 times)

HawkX66

• View Profile
Re: HBC warning. Not Made in the USA
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 02:36:38 AM »
On my 67 convertible I sprayed Imron satin clear polyurethane on a new tank back in 1987.
To this day it still has a natural appearance and looks great with no yellowing or peeling.
If you decide to use a clear I would not use a spray can version but something with an activator.

Mike

Did you do anything to prep the tank or just wax & grease remover?
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 03:04:36 AM »
Just wax and grease remover. No scuffing at all.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 03:07:24 AM »
Just for the record.   I'm on Dave's side of this argument.  I DO care about retaining manufacturing capability in the US, because I think I KNOW what will happen when we lose all our manufacturing expertise and capabilities.   and I DO definitely care about 'less than honest' people.   Once I learn someone deliberately attempts to mislead, then I discontinue any business I might have with them.

Re HBC, I've bought a few small reproduction items from him - probably the same parts I could get elsewhere and paid about the same prices... BUt... I've also discussed with him possibly selling him what most people, including him, consider 'rare' NOS parts.   When he is buying those parts, or trying to...  your parts are 'not that rare' when he offers you 25% of what the market is... Those same parts, once in his warehouse are 'ultra rare' and his prices are generally twice what the market is...  Some people in business..  you just have to assume they will "Lie for $$"...

While we all have our opinions re this and other issues, I don't think it's a good thing, and certainly not constructive to our collective 'good will'.. . to resort to name calling, or even being rude to one another in our typed words.

I think I'm being misunderstood here Gary.   I never said I didn't care about retaining manufacturing here in the US, I've just accepted the fact that it's not a reality.

As far as what I said, I stand by it.   I was blunt and to the point,  I was being insulted plain and simple, and I called it the way I see it. There was no need for that when someone is simply stating the good experience they had.  Dave knows it, and anyone that reads it can see it.  He's obviously having a bad day.  I'm sure he'll get over it, install that tank and all will be well.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 03:10:03 AM »
This got fairly heated or was going to.  Let's tone it down a bit.  Everyone can have an opinion without it getting personal.

I have had good and bad experiences with vendors.  What I will say though is that if it says made in the USA, it should be that way.

But be careful about vendor bashing.  That is not allowed. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 04:59:59 AM »
But be careful about vendor bashing.  That is not allowed. 
Actually, all bashing isn't allowed. Criticize the concept/issue, not the person.

Larry,
Thank you for remaining calm.

And I wouldn't do anything to the tank. It's galvanized!

Kurt S
CRG

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 12:02:55 PM »
Actually, all bashing isn't allowed. Criticize the concept/issue, not the person.

True. And thanks for the reminder. :)
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
Thanks gentlemen. I'm not looking to vendor bash, just report what happened to me and warn others about a vendor's false advertising. I think the post definitely got out of hand when it was made to be about something it wasn't. Not to keep anything going, but I am going to respond to an accusation. I never insulted anyone. I just went back and read what I wrote. Only one person was stirring the pot. Those who stir the pot, should have to lick the spoon...
Good call on the galvy Kurt. I was thinking it was Ni Terne (sp?) and might corrode over time. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:31:14 PM by SgtHawkUSMC »
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »
Spectra tanks are Ni-Terne treated; the Heartbeat sticker states galvanized. No need to clear a Ni-Terne tank.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »
Spectra tanks are Ni-Terne treated; the Heartbeat sticker states galvanized. No need to clear a Ni-Terne tank.
Thanks Scott. I thought I read that somewhere.

For those looking to buy one, who would have thought Amazon would have them? $105 and free shipping if you have Prime...
http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-GM32B-Chevrolet-Pontiac/dp/B000C7S5UI

Also,for those that, like me, did not really know what Ni-Terne treated really is, this is a quote from FineLine Fuel Systems:

"What is Ni-Terne Steel? Ni-terne steel is a lead-tin alloy of approximately 92% lead and 8% tin, which has a dull grey finish,
is very ductile and has a lubricating characteristic that enhances formability in drawing operations. Terne sheet continues to be used today because of its excellent corrosion performance when in con-tact with petroleum fuels. The lead provides long-term barrier-type corrosion resistance. Barrier corrosion means simply that the liquid medium is physically kept from contacting the steel to prevent corrosion of the steel."
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2016, 03:57:14 PM »
Spectra's production line is very automated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52sJ_BxMi64

Paul

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »

For those looking to buy one, who would have thought Amazon would have them? $105 and free shipping if you have Prime...

Amazon is the first place I look when shopping for anything. I have Prime. It is rare that their prices are not lower than anywhere else, and their return policies are great.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2016, 04:30:50 PM »
Late to this thread, but have opinion that is worth as much as anyone else's ....
 I am not going to rehash anything to volatile, but while not bashing vendors (or members), I think it is a benefit to the rest of us to describe good and bad issues while dealing with vendors. I read the whole thread and thought I would be pissed as well, especially being told to my face such info from any vendor.
I don't know Dave (Hawk) or Larry (X33RS) personally but I think we are all here for the right reasons. While I can see Daves point, I think Larry knows what he is getting ahead of time so the marketing of where it is made, is old hat.

I like "made in the U.S.A." in theory, but politics is the underlying name of the game these days. I think greedy/corrupt union bosses with politicians have poisoned the well, which in turn has soured myself (possibly others) to "the made in the U.S.A." tag.

IMO they have sold out the american people by making back room deals, for the voting block of the union(s) . Now this is on a grand scale, but I still take it on a case by case basis, depending on the item.

There are defects in anything made anywhere, even in the U.S.A. I do like the fact that I can call the factory/company when I have a problem with a US made part, and talk in english about it, and get it resolved.

Just my 2 cents
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
Spectra's production line is very automated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52sJ_BxMi64

Paul
Thanks Paul. I can't wait to check it out tonight. The tube is blocked where I am...

Amazon is the first place I look when shopping for anything. I have Prime. It is rare that their prices are not lower than anywhere else, and their return policies are great.
It's funny. I actually do for a lot of things. This is just one that I didn't think they'd have and didn't bother to look. I also wanted to pick it up. Amazon is absolutely amazing for the shipping speed, deals and customer service. I feel bad for the brick and mortar businesses. There is no way they can compete. Have you checked out "Amazon Warehouse"? Crazy deals on scratch and dents and returns that half the time haven't even been opened.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2016, 04:46:02 AM »
Maybe I can shed some light on what I believe is taking place.  As an ex-Industrial Mechanical Engineer and involved with rolls of raw steel I have good idea of what is most likely happening with these tanks.

My guess is "U.S. Steel" which is probably if not the largest steel manufacture out there (at least in North America) is the supplier of the steel used in the manufacturing of the tanks.  Also about 10 yrs ago "U.S. Steel" bought out a Canadian steel company and that facility became know as "U.S. Steel Canada".   I'm not sure where these tanks are manufactured in Canada, but "U.S. Steel" have a few facilities around the great lake area also.

Btw....HBC does state in their listing that these tanks are "Made in the USA/Canada" (Third line of description).

Hence why your seeing two stickers...IMO
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2016, 11:09:14 AM »
Agree with Kurt and Scott so a X3! What I've found is the tank has a galvanized look to it out of the box. If you clean it with wax and grease remover the tank looks like a sheet metal tank and does not appear natural or how they should look IMHO.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

anything