Author Topic: 1969 RS SS  (Read 4264 times)

rw1969

• View Profile
1969 RS SS
« on: March 02, 2016, 01:05:39 PM »
I have been looking at a 1969 RS SS with the X22 code on the cowl tag.
 Is there anyway to tell if a X22 is a true RS?

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: 1969 RS SS
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
You have the right code to start with, has to be a trim style code to even consider an RS (X22 SS or X33 Z28)  but for real RS status it would take some digging.  One way is to pull one of the RS back up lights, you'll know right away if it's a factory RS tail panel or if someone hacked them in there. 
   Another is to look for the correct wiper motor assembly with the correct part number and headlight washer assembly.  Most RS's I see converted don't have this, I don't believe the actual RS wiper motor with correct part number is reproduced, I could be wrong there, but most people don't add it anyway when converting to an RS.

Everything else up front can be added fairly easy so I'm not sure of any of it is a sure fire way to separate the clones from the real ones.
   More will chime in with better answers that may help.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:48:12 PM »
Kurt S
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:40:46 PM »
One way is to pull one of the RS back up lights, you'll know right away if it's a factory RS tail panel or if someone hacked them in there. 

That isn't reliable for a car that has been restored. I had a real '69 Z/28-RS; the rear body panel was replaced during the restoration.
Learning more and more about less and less...

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 10:50:41 PM »
One way is to pull one of the RS back up lights, you'll know right away if it's a factory RS tail panel or if someone hacked them in there. 

That isn't reliable for a car that has been restored. I had a real '69 Z/28-RS; the rear body panel was replaced during the restoration.

I figured having the original tail panel went without saying with my statement.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 02:49:11 AM »
You can't rule it out just because it isn't original. BTW the shop that did mine did an excellent job on the holes.
Learning more and more about less and less...

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 04:26:49 AM »
That's not what I meant.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  It's just one of many suggestions and/or possibilities and doesn't hurt to look if you suspect the tail panel is original, I've seen some hack jobs.  Most cases you can tell if the spot welds have been tampered with, but the majority of clones I've seen, no one wants to go through the trouble to change the whole panel, hence the back yard whiz wheel holes.   
    Many other things to look at, however,  there really isn't any sure fire way to determine RS status if someone knows what they are doing, short of having some paperwork. 

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 03:05:39 PM »
I have a real Z28 RS. When my friend was adding RS to his we parked them side by side. He said without mine to look at and just instructions he could not have done it right. Maybe find one close by to compare.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

anything