Author Topic: 67 Z-28 going to auction  (Read 27961 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: 67 Z-28 going to auction
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 11:09:43 PM »
You rate higher than me, no response, even though I sent them the original tag!
I helped Dana with a car a few years back - same thing, no thanks.
I don't think I need to help them in the future.

For reference, here is the new repro tag.

Maybe a mention that if they don't correct their advertising, you will provide the information to the buyer that the Mecum marketing/advertising was false and misleading and that they knew it before the auction....   that *might* get their attention.. :)

LOL Gary, yeah that could possibly light a fire under someone.

I can see where they are coming from. I guess with high dollars at stake, they will be adamant about proof. Outside of JM issuing such a notice, I'm sure they will want conclusive enough proof before they take it to the next step, if any at all. Looks like they are in the middle of this 'explosive mess'.

Mike

Yeah I can understand that coming from Mecums perspective.   

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 11:16:38 PM »
A nitwit I work with says you can add RS,SS, Z-28 emblems and make the cars anything you want. No one can tell the difference.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 11:25:45 PM »
You rate higher than me, no response, even though I sent them the original tag!
I helped Dana with a car a few years back - same thing, no thanks.
I don't think I need to help them in the future.

For reference, here is the new repro tag.

Maybe a mention that if they don't correct their advertising, you will provide the information to the buyer that the Mecum marketing/advertising was false and misleading and that they knew it before the auction....   that *might* get their attention.. :)

LOL Gary, yeah that could possibly light a fire under someone.

I can see where they are coming from. I guess with high dollars at stake, they will be adamant about proof. Outside of JM issuing such a notice, I'm sure they will want conclusive enough proof before they take it to the next step, if any at all. Looks like they are in the middle of this 'explosive mess'.

Mike

Yeah I can understand that coming from Mecums perspective.   

Dont worry guys I have saved my emails...   8)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 11:29:37 PM »
Maybe read the fine print at the bottom of the ad. The consignor provided the information about the car. The auction is 15 days from today and I doubt anyone from Mecum has seen it yet. They have an investment in marketing the car and now this. Do you expect them to vet the histories on 700 cars?

Information found on the website is presented as advance information for the auction lot. Photos, materials for videos, descriptions and other information are provided by the consignor/seller and is deemed reliable, but Mecum Auction does not verify, warrant or guarantee this information. The lot and information presented at auction on the auction block supersedes any previous descriptions or information. Mecum is not responsible for information that may be changed or updated prior to the auction. The decision to purchase should be based solely on the buyers personal inspection of the lot at the auction site prior to the auction.
Learning more and more about less and less...

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 11:38:17 PM »
I get and understand it..  Problem is we as passionate Camaro enthusiasts  see it as sinful to openly present a car as something it is not..  I would be the same way if I were a Mopar or Ford guy..

I also think that when you have a high profile car like a 67 Z then they (Mecum) needs to verify the car..  But that is just me.. ;D

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 11:38:39 PM »
A nitwit I work with says you can add RS,SS, Z-28 emblems and make the cars anything you want. No one can tell the difference.

Send him a link to a CRG page that explains it. Not sure how a nitwit would react to that...
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 12:37:57 AM »
Bullitt, it would go right over his head. Darrel, not only sinful but illegal in most states.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2016, 12:40:40 AM »
I would bet trim tag is the gray area..  VIN absolutely illegal..

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
Maybe read the fine print at the bottom of the ad. The consignor provided the information about the car. The auction is 15 days from today and I doubt anyone from Mecum has seen it yet. They have an investment in marketing the car and now this. Do you expect them to vet the histories on 700 cars?

Information found on the website is presented as advance information for the auction lot. Photos, materials for videos, descriptions and other information are provided by the consignor/seller and is deemed reliable, but Mecum Auction does not verify, warrant or guarantee this information. The lot and information presented at auction on the auction block supersedes any previous descriptions or information. Mecum is not responsible for information that may be changed or updated prior to the auction. The decision to purchase should be based solely on the buyers personal inspection of the lot at the auction site prior to the auction.

Ah okay, there ya go.  I think this statement from Mecum likely removes any liability they may have, they basically represent the car as the seller claims.  It's also possible Mecum doesn't have knowledgeable people on staff to verify such things.   

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 06:35:41 AM »
Says Motor and Trans VIN match the car VIN. So would they most likely have been re-stamped to match the car, or has the car's VIN been altered? Wonder if the motor is even a legitimate 67 302?

If this was originally an L30, then it would at least have the matching VIN. on the Block wouldn't it?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2016, 04:53:02 PM »
If this was originally an L30, then it would at least have the matching VIN. on the Block wouldn't it?

Nope, in '67 only Z28 & SS engines got the partial VIN stamped on the engine pad.  It would be possible to use the original engine assembly code and restamped just the last letter of the engine suffix code.

Paul

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2016, 09:25:38 AM »
Hat's off to Mecum as the title of the ad is now "67 Camaro RS".....(where's the thumbs up smiley ?) 

"During the restoration, this car was transformed to exacting Z/28 specifications."

Beautiful car for sure and appears to be a very high quality build.... But went too far with the bogus stamps and trim tag.

I'd say it'll probably get 5 twinkies from the Clone Ranger... ;D 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:49:45 AM by Gars68Tux »
Garth

68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »
I would be happier with "clone" "tribute" or "re-creation." Seems they deliberately avoided those terms.

Still, another fine example of the hobby policing itself.
Learning more and more about less and less...

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2016, 01:50:44 PM »
Good for Mecum, they've made an attempt to straighten it out.  I wonder if they confer with the owner before changing the add and how that went.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »
 I feel better now that Felix the Cat's reputation is exonerated  ;)

67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored