Author Topic: Delco Battery Toppers  (Read 18411 times)

cook_dw

• View Profile
Delco Battery Toppers
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:41:36 PM »
I ordered one of the battery toppers a week or so ago and it came in last week so I went out today and got a new battery.  I cant take credit for this as I have read in other threads and posts of the toppers not fitting all the way down and having to open the holes up.  So I took to the dremel to get it close then used a socket wrapped with 320 sandpaper in a drill to even everything out..  I still have to modify the Delco Eye to make it look correct..  Hope to get to that sometime this week..  I failed to get a pic of the posts in relation to the openings before hand but you will get the idea..  Just thought I would pass this along to anyone else that maybe thinking of going the topper route.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Delco Battery Toppers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:24:25 PM »
Do how well does the topper fit down on the filler holes?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:41:39 PM »
They fit over the posts but you have a raised plastic portion around the posts and because the holes are off it doesn't want to lay down all the way.  I guess once the terminals are on you wouldn't see it but it bothered me so I opened the holes to make it lay flat and made me feel better..  Still sucks that you pay $50 plus for a topper and have to modify it but I'm used to it..

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 12:55:20 AM »
Darrell,

Don't be so negative.  I'm shocked how good that looks!  I hope you don't have any reluctance about your modification because the results are all positive.  I can tell you know watt you're doing because you transformed the battery topper into something electrifying.  You should be inducted into the CRG Hall of Fame!  Got to cut this short because I'm going cycling.

Paul

P.S. - I hope you got a charge out of that!  :o

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 01:08:25 AM »
Lol thanks Paul but I'm pretty grounded in my ways..  But I'm amped you think so highly of me..   ;D

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 03:15:30 AM »
Darrell nice work, taking a repro poor fitting junk part, and turning it into a piece that would pass as original on first glance.
As you said "I'm used to it". Thats what separates the men from the boys when doing this stuff, being dealt a bad knock off, and turning it into a visually pleasing item under your hood.
This must be a record for me complimenting your work in one week, first the drive shaft clean up, now the battery topper...

Not sure it constitutes the hall of fame, but how about (CRG)player of the week?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:45:01 AM by BULLITT65 »
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 03:33:13 AM »
I run 2 toppers, they aren't bad.  After the first $300 battery dumped after 2 years I decided no more of that.  Toppers are good enough, lol.

What may keep me from a topper on the Z is that they don't make a technically correct R59 topper with reverse polarity.  Negative is supposed to be on the radiator side.  I found the correct battery for the car with reverse polarity so the cables fit/look proper, but I haven't seen a topper that matches.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 12:25:27 PM »
They fit over the posts but you have a raised plastic portion around the posts and because the holes are off it doesn't want to lay down all the way.  I guess once the terminals are on you wouldn't see it but it bothered me so I opened the holes to make it lay flat and made me feel better..  Still sucks that you pay $50 plus for a topper and have to modify it but I'm used to it..
Exactly, that's why I asked. I struggled with a topper a few years ago. They do not lay down uniformly flat across the face of the battery. Since the filler holes in the topper did not seat well with the ones in the battery, I finally gave up on it and gave it to a friend with a 70 442. He tried it and it didn't work well on his battery either.
I agree with your sentiment. It would be nice if it fit!
You'd get my vote for CRGer of the Week.  ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 12:31:42 PM »
Where are you guys getting these toppers? I've seen guys with the old-style battery's but I didn't know they could have been covers. I won't pay a premium price for a battery, but I might go the "topper" route.
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »
They are all over the place.  If you're resourceful and shop around, you can find them for about $40.  That's what I paid for mine.  Some places charge as high as $70 or $80.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 01:07:55 PM »
Exactly, that's why I asked. I struggled with a topper a few years ago. They do not lay down uniformly flat across the face of the battery. Since the filler holes in the topper did not seat well with the ones in the battery, I finally gave up on it and gave it to a friend with a 70 442. He tried it and it didn't work well on his battery either.
I agree with your sentiment. It would be nice if it fit!
You'd get my vote for CRGer of the Week.  ;D

Thanks guys for the vote of confidence but Im a nobody just trying to help out fellow Camaro enthusiasts..   :D 

I got mine from thepartsplaceinc on ebay for $52.20 shipped. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-72-GM-Cars-R-59-Battery-Topper-Top-Post/330339489207?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Dee9ecea570334c5cb92d0d288b1843ba%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D270413479823

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 02:00:23 PM »
 How do the sides line up with the top edges?
I have an old (and dead) R59 that I thought of gutting and putting a modern and yet smaller battery inside but so far no luck finding internals. I may use the NOS one I have since the 80's that still has the wax plugs in the well openings, but like what was mentioned prior, getting a only couple of years out of it was my concern.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »
It's not too noticeable but obviously you lose not having the Delco logo on the casing and it does drop back to where the actual battery case is..  I try to get a pic of the side tonight.  I thought about finding an old battery and gutting it but I believe the problem would be finding one that will work inside of it plus you'd have to modify the posts potentially..  For the money and now that it looks a little better (at least to me) I'm happy with the topper. Most people won't notice if it's real or not.  I also removed the sticker off the topper to make it look more correct..  I did keep it though.   ;D

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
I had mine for a couple of years now and it does it for me!  8)

Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 02:39:57 PM »
  I may give that top a consideration. The Delco Eye is painted?
I have seen them at shows with varying degrees of side overlap as well as side wall color.
If I can find a new style battery that fits well but the side is of a different color, maybe something like Krylon Fusion  paint would work.
Another idea I have been tossing around is to use a new battery to get to a show then swap it out with an R59 (dead).
Then I'd worry about paint chipping from around the bolt heads of the support bar. ARGH!  :-\

Mike

67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »
It's not hard to find a black or white sided battery.  I usually go with all black and then put the topper on.  Napa has all black batteries but I usually end up at Costco for an Interstate battery, they are all black now too, and for about $75 and a 6 or 7 year battery, you can't beat it.  Throw a topper on it and it fools most people.

If you're looking to gut an original for a smaller battery, it's doable.  PSMC's did it all the time to save weight over the nose.  Looks stock but inside is a smaller battery wired to the original terminals.  The rules have cracked down on that in the last couple years so I don't know if you find many doing it now.  I almost did it on mine when I was competing and racing my firebird.  We got to the point of taking a bathroom scale with you to the battery store and start weighing batteries, you get funny looks from the counter people  ;D  You would be surprised at the differences in weight between brands of batteries that are the same series.  But this is another subject entirely.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 03:53:53 PM »
After the first $300 battery dumped after 2 years I decided no more of that.

It's too bad you couldn't have made that one into a case for another battery. One that could open and close so you could change the battery.

edit: Posted after you did. Obviously you already thought of that....
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 03:59:47 PM »
I have seen them at shows with varying degrees of side overlap as well as side wall color.
If I can find a new style battery that fits well but the side is of a different color, maybe something like Krylon Fusion  paint would work.
Another idea I have been tossing around is to use a new battery to get to a show then swap it out with an R59 (dead).
Then I'd worry about paint chipping from around the bolt heads of the support bar. ARGH!  :-\

Mike

I don't see much difference in the battery casing black vs the topper black..  Wait until I do the Delco Eye fix. It might change your mind..  Again I'm not the first but I have 2 original eyes to go by so I think I can make it look legit.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »
Darrell nice work, taking a repro poor fitting junk part, and turning it into a piece that would pass as original on first glance.

A minor point, but aren't ALL (99% anyway) repros 'poor fitting junk parts'???   :)

PS.  I didn't know there was more than one manufacturer of these toppers..  are there?
(I know there are many resellers, but all the ones I've looked at looked to be from the same mfg'er)..  and Yes, there is a significant price variance.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 08:00:21 PM »
Well, Mr. Cook seems to be having fitment problems so apparently something has changed over the years.  The last top post topper I bought was about 4-5 years ago and it fits fine.  The other toppers I've bought a little more recently are for side post batteries, there is nothing to obstruct the fitment of those.

Maybe manufactures have changed within the last few years, I don't know if there is more than one manufacture either.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
After the first $300 battery dumped after 2 years I decided no more of that.

It's too bad you couldn't have made that one into a case for another battery. One that could open and close so you could change the battery.

edit: Posted after you did. Obviously you already thought of that....

I still have it, and still may do it.  I just couldn't bare to throw $300 in the trash even though it's nothing more than a door stop.
   They have been doing that trick at the pure stock drags for a dozen years.  I think they check for that now at the pure stock level.  The F.A.S.T. guys (the more serious ones) have more relaxed rules and still gut the stock batteries and hook cables to them to make it look like they work (has to be stock appearing), but in reality those guys are hiding a little battery inside the fake stock gas tank in the back.

I still may gut the battery and hide a small one inside, but at this point right now, I'm not racing the car anymore and haven't in quite a few years, so I'm not worried about the weight savings at the moment.  The appearance however I've somewhat satisfied myself with these toppers.....for the time being.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 08:10:35 PM »

Mike

Mike, a good thread on team camaro where op used Interstate Battery, forget type but he showed what he did with black paint on case, etc..  Said it fit with like glove. Darrell had posted on op's thread so maybe he got some ideas there. It looked good!

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 11:05:02 PM »
Chick, I did post in that thread but I honestly can not remember where I read about the modifications because I had read so much about the issue..  It was more than likely on TC though..  Here is a pic of the battery from the side..

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 11:18:05 PM »
Chick, I did post in that thread but I honestly can not remember where I read about the modifications because I had read so much about the issue..  It was more than likely on TC though..  Here is a pic of the battery from the side..

No issue Darrell as it got me thinking also and you come up with some good ones! Could an orig deco eye be placed in that topper? And I'd love to add that "energizer" from the topper to our nos y55 battery!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 11:25:44 PM »
Looks like you really transformed that topper, Darrell.  Hopefully, you didn't run into too much resistance while doing it!  ;)

Paul

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 01:30:14 AM »
I already tried that idea as I have a couple original eyes..  I was gonna cut off the yellowish clear portion that goes into the battery off but the oem eye is too loose in the topper..  Ok here is what I did and what I read about someone used an old yellow screwdriver but since I had a couple I cut one down and used the original style material..  ;D

Didnt take any pics for this but first find center of the red bot of the topper eye and drill a pilot hole.  Then use a 3/8" drill bit and open the hole up more.  I measured 0.4160" as the dia of the red dot so I took my trusty dremel and worked the hole open a little at a time test fitting the original eyes center piece.  Then a 1/4" socket with sandpaper to smooth it out.  Then I cut the lower portion of the original style eye, sanded and then polished it on both ends and you get with what you see here.  I had another one but didnt have a firm grip on it and the polishing wheel sent it somewhere into the abyss of the garage..

Paul, gauging by your response you think Im a conductor of making repop parts flash..  Ok Im done you win because you are lightning!!! ;D

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 01:35:56 AM »
Here's a pic of my topper. I "improved" mine a few years ago after I tired of dealing with the repro R-59's.  They all lasted fairly well, just kept getting more expensive to replace.  This topper has the real Delco eye and drilled vent caps. I also added the date codes and plant code in the correct spots. The post holes fit nice, I have a Delco under it. I did color match the red and it was a personal choice to look like a service replacement. I have two other NOS units to use as referance.

Steve

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 01:42:10 AM »
thats quite the display you have there Steve. Its great to have originals to use as an example.

I have seen some guys go through the labor of emptying out a original side post to put a battery inside. Has anybody re-created a original side post any other way?

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 01:48:41 AM »
I have gutted an old R-59....pain in the butt. Still had to deal with another cell inside and for what? Just not worth it to me. Very few notice the cover when done right and those who do, really understand why it's there.

Thanks for the compliment. That's an ol Delco Battery rack, art deco style.

Steve

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 02:01:01 AM »
What about a Y-77?

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 02:19:31 AM »
Y-77 = time to gut or paint the R series yellow and deal with the posts.

At the end of the day neither are correct and it is what it is....a point deduction? Safety concern? PITA? For the shows  that make a difference ( MCACN & SLS, ect ) ....I'm good with a topper.

Steve

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 02:27:28 AM »
Here's a dealer advertising hanger for a R-59.  Notice the eye location, 2nd hole from the right.

Steve

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 09:57:09 PM »
I just purchased a new AC/Delco battery for my R59 topper.  The model number is 34PS it has a flat top and fits very well.  The battery is rated a 660CCA 115RC.   Hopefully my pics will load.
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 09:59:37 PM »
Side view of topper with PS34

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 10:02:24 PM »
Rear view of topper and PS34

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 10:04:30 PM »
Pic of AC/Delco PS34 for use with R59 Topper.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2016, 06:27:24 PM »
I ordered 2 for my cars just took to battery store kept trying until I found one it fit. In fact I think I had to go to two stores.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 12:44:36 AM »
I had to cut off those handle edges and ream out the post holes of the topper to get it to fit flush on my NAPA battery

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2016, 04:54:38 AM »
No modifications with the AC/Delco PS34.  It didn't even come with handles.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2016, 11:19:44 AM »
No offense as Im sure you are happy with it but that topper needs to be modified to sit flat on the battery.  You can see the spacing of the posts are off in relation to the toppers openings as you can see in your Rear view of topper and PS34 pic.  Also around the each post of the battery are raised plastic which will also not allow the battery to fully lay flat on the battery.  This was the exact reasons I modified topper in the original post of this thread because it was just like yours in your pics..  In reality once the cables are on will you see it?  Probably not but I was not happy with the look as I disconnect my battery when Im not driving the car and it sticks out when I look at it.  To each his own. 

FYI - the majority of batteries out there are actually made by just a couple companies.  Of which Johnson Controls makes the majority including the Auto Parts store brands as well as Delphi.