Author Topic: Black Firewall Paint  (Read 73472 times)

Pex68

• View Profile
Re: Black Firewall Paint
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2010, 03:48:33 PM »
Welcome aboard Chris!  Sequoia is an AWESSOME color!  Good luck with your car and post or send me some pic's!
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2010, 04:32:53 AM »
Yes, it IS a great color!  I'll take some pics and post some as I work on it.  The pics of the exterior will be kind of selective.  Like only the patches where the paint is still decent... lol

TonyHuntimerRaceHome

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2010, 11:58:08 PM »
I'm still convinced that although 99.5% of the cars got the blackout, some did not.  68 was a strike year at GM and I've been told that it's not uncommon to find all sorts of "strange" things on cars that year.
Still want more Sequoia Green owners to chime in :)

Hey Chris,
You've got yourself a beautiful and rare car there. I just found a special order paint 68 with evidence of a body colored firewall.

It's really sad...and wrong...that these "Associations" that are supposed to be promoting and preserving the history of these cars would even consider telling you to alter (not restore to original...the way you found it) the color of your firewall because they're too lazy to learn or accept something new or out of the norm...even when you have very compelling photographed documentation backing up the details that set your car apart from other Camaros.

Basically, they're trying to force you to change your Camaro from a fingerprint into a belly button.

I'm glad to hear that you did the right thing and kept the firewall the way it apparently lef the factory and that your car scored so high at the show. It's also great that you didn't end up having too much problem with the item that sets your car apart from all the other cars.  I hope I can see your car in person in the future.

Tony Huntimer
Camaro Performers Magazine

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2010, 01:48:49 AM »
Thanks Tony!  After speaking with the Judges in person I can see where their coming from.  They have to have a standard to judge from otherwise anyone could just come in and say this is they way the car was...and how could anyone effectively put a "score" on anything if there was no standard to go against.  Their standard is a mix of the way Chevrolet intended the cars to roll off the assembly line and, in their experience, how the majority actually did. There are a lot people out there who come and enter their cars in this class just get their car "certified" so they can put a $ sign on it...I'm not one of those people.  I restored my car myself, and will have her for a long, long time.  The points and recognition are just my way of patting myself on the back...and really, I get more out of just talking with everyone I meet at the shows and offering up advice or what I’ve learned along the way than any award or number on a piece of paper could give me.  For me it’s all about the car, she’s a piece of history…and being so original when I found her I really had no choice but to put everything back exactly (or as close as possible) to the way I found it...

I would LOVE to see some photos of the Camaro you found and get some details on it…Post or PM me!!!  My car was actually in your magazine!  February ‘09.  Tell Nick & Steve I said thanks again and to stop by and say Hi if they ever make it back out Camaro Nationals…or better yet, since you want to see her in person anyway grab them and head out to Carlisle this June and you can all say Hi.  ;D
Chris P

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2010, 04:21:13 AM »
let's see how many times I will have to try to post pics this time.  4? 5? 20?  fun!!!

Here is what I wrote, kinda: 

aaahahahahaha, Here are a few pics of panels of my car.  I tried to use different lighting for each pic.  It certainly proves that this is kind of an elusive, wild color... ;-)

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2010, 04:21:51 AM »
2 of 7

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2010, 04:22:23 AM »
3 of 7

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2010, 04:22:52 AM »
4 of 7

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2010, 04:23:19 AM »
5 of 7

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2010, 04:23:55 AM »
6 of 7

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2010, 04:24:27 AM »
7 of 7

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2010, 04:28:33 AM »
Nice, is it original paint?  What would say the percent of gloss on the tail pan is?
Chris P

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2010, 04:39:47 AM »
I'm still working on varifying it's the original paint.  I will look for the factory type overspray etc. when I take it appart for repainting...  It COULD have been repainted before I bought it in '83...  There are no signs of any other colors.  But we will see...hopefullly.

Percent gloss?  It's body color...  It's just in the shade, dusty, and in need of a wax job.  That may explain it if it seems flat.?.?

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2010, 04:12:02 PM »
Oops, my bad, thought it was black that's why I was asking. 
Chris P

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2010, 05:03:43 AM »
Nope. No black. But proves how this color appears differently to everyone...

anything