Author Topic: Parts??  (Read 7185 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Parts??
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »
Is there an area here where someone could ask or look for parts? 

HawkX66

• View Profile
Re: Parts??
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:55:46 PM »
I'd say here in General is ok to post a want ad or you could put them in the new O/T section I'd imagine. Otherwise, Camaros.net or yenko.net have a good place. You might want to check the Camaros.org site rules to see what they say about first. The other two it isn't an issue.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:26:14 PM »
I will add, .com: Commercial (for-profit) websites IE: Rick's, Camaro Central
               .net: Network-related domains IE: Team Camaro, Yenko Supercars
               .org: Non-profit organizations IE: CRG
being a .org is more like a free information, like a library, that would be used for research.
Whereas, .net (meaning within a network)could encompass broader "services", like classifieds, generally, .orgs do not get into selling/buying or want ad services.
.coms, of course are the most common and cover most "for profit" content.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:42:59 PM »
There are many many sites online where you can search for parts.  This site is for sharing information and assistance on the original aspects of our cars and restoration, maintenance tips etc.  That said, it's not uncommon for members here to post that they are *looking* for a certain original part for their car and ask to be contacted if someone knows of one (but the policy here does not allow *sales* advertisements). 

As Bentley posted, this is not a commercial site as is Team Camaro, etc, but if you post that you are looking for something, and someone contacts you privately, then that is a private transaction and the site has nothing to do with the transaction.

I'm sure Kurt or someone will post if we're not providing accurate response to your question... :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 02:51:58 PM »
 I know there is a policy about not soliciting parts for sale, but I wouldn't mind if just a one shot mention was given for a for-sale item or a wanted item. I know there are other groups for that but speaking for myself I prefer to stay in CRG and if I were to sell something I would want CRG members to have the first chance. Maybe the Garage section would be appropriate? Something like "I have a NOS 68 door skin for sale, PM me for further info" and that would be the end of it.

Just my thoughts,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 03:39:58 PM »
Okay, just asking, I don't want to overstep bounds.  I don't frequent other sites and don't have much interest in trying to create another account.  Besides that, newbs on sites aren't trusted sometimes and overlooked when it comes to anything that involves money.

I joined here on the advice of a friend, and it has inspired me to get the Z back on the road. It's a great site with a bunch of great guys.   However my dilemma is that I don't intend to do a full restoration on the car at the present time and just want to enjoy it first in it's "patina" state.   With that said I'm not putting on any brand new cosmetic parts.  The new interior is staying in boxes and all the NOS emblems and other things I've collected will be stashed away.  It's only getting mechanically refurbished at this time.
  My problem is that after sitting 30 years I see I'm missing a couple of things that aren't important but they do bug me.  I can only find one of the original "rally sport" emblems for the fender.  I have NOS emblems in the boxes but don't want to install those.  I'd rather find another rally sport emblem in used condition.  Ebay only has new stuff.
   Another dilemma is that the horizontal stainless bar that goes across the middle of the RS tail lights, One apparently fell off somewhere.  Those aren't sold separately from what I gather, so I would likely need to find a used RS tail light or a broken lens I can rob the bar from.  Just bothers me to look at the car and see that missing.  New tail lights will go on the car when it gets restored.

None of this is important but it's silly little things like that (and I'll probably find more) that I'll be searching for.  I need to find more time to peel away and get out to more swap meets where I'll probably have some luck.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 05:34:04 PM »
I would suggest a post here requesting anyone having those parts to contact you privately.  I HAVE seen used (take off) Rallye Sport emblems for sale, both on Team Camaro and on ebay/craiglist.  Your little stainless RS tail light trim might be more difficult, but you never know til you ask... :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 05:56:50 PM »
The policy of the site is not to have for sale / wanted ads listed on the site.
camaros.net has a great classified section - no need to reinvent the wheel and it's not what this site is about.

Watch ebay & TC and you'll find used parts like you are looking for - just takes some time.
Kurt S
CRG

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 07:33:57 PM »
I don't know how it could be done, but I would like to see or have a place that is private (not able to see except through some kind of membership) that only allowed hobbyist to hobbyist advertise. I have given a significant number of parts away (even paid shipping) here, and other places because a fellow Camaro guy needed something. There are plenty of other avenues for the 'flippers' and 'parts hostage' and 'price raper' crowd. How about the little guy just wanting to fix his car on a budget?
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 08:00:33 PM »
Maybe a "wanted" section, but not a "sale" section. I've needed some parts, or even advice on how to find the right parts a few times over the past few months. For example, I needed the vent hose for the 350 which appears to not be produced anywhere. I asked where I could find one, and members responded that they aren't being reproduced. A very kind CRG member sent me a PM and offered to sell me an extra he had.

Knowing another member is looking for late dated 69 glass adds my eyes to their search. Or hey, I might know someone with that part. I don't think we should be advertising to sell our parts here, but I think we could help each other find parts when needed.

Just my newbie 2 cents.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 08:10:50 PM »
I appreciate all the insight guys.  Sorry, I didn't mean to start a debate.  I'm in an odd situation with the car, that's really what it amounts to.  It will get completely blown apart for a full restoration with a lot of NOS parts I have.  Just that for right now we want to enjoy the car a bit before that happens, and driving it around with a trim piece missing here or there drives me nuts, lol.   I don't want to put wear and tear on new parts before the restoration.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 08:14:22 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this idea is would be one more task for those who run/maintain this site? I think their time is volunteered, so I wouldn't blame them for not being keen on the idea of adding work. Especially with what's already out there.
Jimmy V.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 10:40:07 PM »
I understand.
Most here are either on or regularly browse the other sites: Team Camaro, Yenko.  Posting on one of those two could get you some luck. Scored another Z intake (that I didn't need)off of TC for a pretty good price, after some PM's. Pretty much that I wasn't going to re-list on Ebay for a profit.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 11:19:08 PM »
You're right, it's probably a good idea to browse those places too.  Eventually I'm going to have a lot of left over parts I won't be using when I restore the car, and I'd like to either give some away or sell to a Camaro enthusiast that can use it rather than flip for profit.  I know one item I have that takes up space is an NOS GM quarter that I know I won't be using, but I hang on to it until the car is restored.  Not sure why, just weird like that  ;D
  So I'll google these places and check it out.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 11:46:23 PM »
If possible, I like to buy parts from those I know who are decent people. There are some big sellers who have less than respectable business practices, and even have aliases on ebay when buying parts. If you don't know who they are, you end up feeding a person without integrity. This hobby is not without deceitful, shrewd, selfish people.