Author Topic: Interior restoration  (Read 39099 times)

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Interior restoration
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2016, 01:11:26 AM »
The green car has 2 tags on the front carpet section..  I need to look and see if its split all the way..  I know it is in front of the console just not sure behind the shifter..

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2016, 05:37:09 PM »
Kurt S,

Here are the pics of the backside of the front carpet.

1 of 1.

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2016, 05:38:03 PM »
Kurt S,

Front carpet driver side back.

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »
Kurt S,

Passenger side carpet back

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2016, 09:55:44 PM »
ASM I see your carpets do not have the edge binding between the center of the seat either....

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2016, 12:41:00 AM »
That is correct, edge binding just at rear of front carpet. I was thinking of ordering the front carpet through Classic Industries. I can get the front carpet with the jute backing attached to the carpet and get the sound deadener separately. That is how my front carpet is configured. Sound deadener still on floor boards, except passenger side. I may have removed that for some reason.

Not sure if I should get the Mass backing option if I plan to use carpet with Jute backing and sound deadener.

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2016, 07:22:01 PM »
Went to the local restoration re-seller. Compared "Distinctive" front door panels to my originals. The differences I noticed was that the door lock knob ferrule on the "Distinctive" door panel was larger than the original. I also noticed that the door panel material was one piece on the "Distinctive" brand. On my original door panels, it appears that the chrome horizontal trim towards the top of the panel assists in hiding the seam created by GM using two pieces of trim material on the door panels.

Do any of the other manufacturers (PUI, Legandary, Al Knoch, ...) use two pieces of material on their door panels. See pics.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »
I wouldn't sweat the 2-piece. What matters to me is: the fit and not puffy.
Kurt S
CRG

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2016, 10:23:11 PM »
So, would "distinctive" be just as good as pui, oer, or legendary for the fit. I only looked at the "Distinctive" brand, it looked okay to me, don't know about the fit.

If anyone has a comment on who to avoid, I would appreciate it.

And I do realize that which ever one I purchase its an improvement with what I have.

thanks again.

Fred Mertz

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2016, 05:08:24 AM »
My '69 still has the original carpet.  The car was originally a floor shifted TH350 w/console.  I added the console gauges when installing the 4 speed.

The front carpet piece only has a slit for the carpet to fit over the console mounting bracket and a hole cut out for the "Horseshoe" shifter assy. where it bolts to the console tunnel.

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 10:50:08 AM »
I ordered door panels from Heartbeat City and they were supposedly best-quality. From an appearance standpoint, I would agree, except they don't include the "Camaro" emblem that's glued above the armrests. Anyway, both sides required extensive trimming to fit. The right (passenger) side needed approximately 1/2" inch trimmed off on both ends and the bottom. Funny thing, when we peeled back the vinyl after marking it for our cut-line, there was a line marked on the backing board, plus it had been "slit" (think: perforated) exactly where we needed it trimmed! Duh! Looks like they knew how to make them, they just didn't. The panels came cut exactly to fit the overall size of the door(shell) inner surface, which of course won't clear when you try to close the door. Drivers door had all it's excess toward the front. Just my .02
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2016, 03:55:40 PM »
If they just look dingy...clean them using minimal pressure and a soft bristled brush along with SPRAY AWAY non ammonia window cleaner.

Minimal pressure and a new brush is the KEY!

When you use too much pressure the tips of the brush roll over and will not penetrate into the grain. It honestly will take a few hours to clean one seat, one door panel etc.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2016, 02:06:38 AM »
Hi X33RS,
If its not too much work could you look and see if the carpet is split in the rear as well. If enough people posted whom have a 1969 camaro with the original carpet and factory console, maybe the information could be compiled to indicate another fact regarding production. As I said, my carpet is split in the front and rear, essentially, left front carpet, right right carpet and rear carpet.
Hi X33RS,
If its not too much work could you look and see if the carpet is split in the rear as well. If enough people posted whom have a 1969 camaro with the original carpet and factory console, maybe the information could be compiled to indicate another fact regarding production. As I said, my carpet is split in the front and rear, essentially, left front carpet, right right carpet and rear carpet.

ASM, I finally got around to removing my console and sure enough the front and rear sections of the front carpet are split, with the front held together with Velcro.
  I have not removed the seats yet but will in the next few weeks and plan to remove the carpet for cleaning.  I'm curious to see a dated tag on the bottom side.

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2016, 11:53:18 PM »
Went to the local restoration re-seller. Compared "Distinctive" front door panels to my originals. The differences I noticed was that the door lock knob ferrule on the "Distinctive" door panel was larger than the original. I also noticed that the door panel material was one piece on the "Distinctive" brand. On my original door panels, it appears that the chrome horizontal trim towards the top of the panel assists in hiding the seam created by GM using two pieces of trim material on the door panels.

Do any of the other manufacturers (PUI, Legandary, Al Knoch, ...) use two pieces of material on their door panels. See pics.
I got a set of "unassembled" standard door and rear panels for my 68 from Legendary a few years ago. They came with no trim, emblems or metal top piece but there was enough vinyl to stretch over the top once I installed my original. I, too, noticed that the original panels, and the ones on my 69, had a separate piece of vinyl that was overlapped under the chrome trim and I wanted to put it back that way. I was able to trim the excess off with a straight edge, where the chrome goes, and then lay the cut off piece down with adhesive over the lower vinyl and poke the trim spikes through it so the seam ended up under the trim. Turned out nice. I don't know if the assembled panels come with two piece vinyl. I just know I would have never been totally happy without the seam knowing it was there originally.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 02:42:17 AM »
JKZ27, I saw a pair of PUI 69 door panels. They did not have the vinyl seam. The vinyl was all one piece. They
looked great but not two piece vinyl.

anything