Author Topic: 571 CI Dyno session  (Read 6573 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
571 CI Dyno session
« on: February 09, 2016, 08:28:39 PM »

This is an engine my father had Tony Bischoff build for his Pontiac.  Pump gas street car, aftermarket block, Ohio 4.750" crank.  Hats off to Tony, we had about 4 weekends of dyno time on this engine until Tony was happy with it.  This was one of the earlier sessions experimenting with carbs and timing.  Engine safely goes to 7,000 but peak HP was found at 5700 so pulls were kept to 6,000.  Torque never dips below 700 for the entire pull.  It's a ball on the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5WswK-m-zIA   

buenymayor

• View Profile
Re: 571 CI Dyno session
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 11:48:36 AM »
Nice! BES is local to me. Never heard anything bad about them.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »
BES is one of the best in the business in my opinion, I don't think you can go wrong there, and the prices are reasonable.  You would think a shop that has won the EMC several times including the most recent one would have astronomical prices, but Tony is no more expensive than any other high end shops I've dealt with.  And he knows how to make power with any brand engine, and the engine does exactly what he says it will do.  Plus he's a super nice guy.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 04:16:50 PM »
Sounds like BES is a great local resource for you. I will keep him in mind when it comes to my next motor. Does he have any experience with LS1 stuff?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »
Yeah he's won a couple of the engine master challenges with LS motors, gen 1 SBC's, new Chrysler hemis etc...  he makes power with about anything he touches. 
  I was close to sending the DZ motor to him and hoped with my parents move I could coordinate being there for dyno and pickup but it didn't appear it was going to work out that way so it ended up at Zimmerman Racing where I've also had excellent work done on a couple of engines.
  Tony does ship all over in and out of the country though.

Tony built the 302 in Mark's Z28 that regularly runs in the UMTR, with a small tire and lots of gear it goes 10.60's at 128 mph.  There was a lot of video on this car in the past, I'll have to find it.  Mark is a regular Ronnie Sox with the gear box.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 01:24:16 PM »
Wow, he's posted a lot.  Here are a few.  You'll like this Bullet, it's your color  ;D

I was still running UMTR when he debuted the car around 2007ish??.  Looks like he's still having fun with it.   A real Z as far as I know, I never got a super close look at it,  BES 302 ( I think it still is), started racing with the Muncie and then made the switch to  a Nash 5 speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lHF5N8APt-8

In car action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-emhm4hw3Kc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_lGXsmw_X94

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 01:46:16 PM »
On my fathers engine, they dyno'd that with the smallish 2" chassis headers that he runs in the car, so you get a more realistic number.  No fancy dyno headers were used that will usually add another 30-40 HP to an engine like this.

On a side note, they ended up using the stockish Edelbrock heads on it that was on the previous 455 that I built for him.  Tony worked them heavily to flow 360cfm on a very small port.  However they still hold back an engine of this size.  Tony said it would be easy for this engine to top 1,000 hp with a set of aftermarket cast McCarthy RAV's or Tiger heads but that added another $5,000 to the cost, special headers, etc...It's a domino affect.   So my father drew the line and said 700+ is good enough.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 03:00:32 PM »
I enjoyed seeing the Mark Maag Z28 run..  :)   Thanks for the videos...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »
Lol, I think it's everyone's favorite.  When that car debuted it quickly became my favorite.  Not necessarily because it's a Z, but because the car isn't cut up, it's all steel and largely stockish looking, and he still uses a clutch and an "H" pattern shifter and still gets the job done.   When I ran UMTR a lot of guys were making the transition to clutchless transmissions and V-gate shifters.  For me that took the fun out of it.  Mark still does it old school.  What's funny is that he's still as quick as most of the higher end big tire cars in these classes.  That BES motor makes some steam.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 04:08:34 PM »
Another interesting tidbit about this class, when it first came out no one knew what kind of interest it would draw.  What it did do was bring out a lot of retired stick shift stock eliminator cars that were no longer competitive in NHRA, and gave them a chance to blow the dust off and have some fun.  Some of those cars hadn't seen the light of day in 20 years or more.  It was like a step back in time.

I think that's what I enjoyed the most about this type of racing. Interest was huge.  It's now grown to be called other things in different parts of the country like Super Shifters, Pro Stick racing, Rocky Mountain stick shifters, and even UMTR branched off to North and South,.  Sadly nothing out here on the West coast yet though.

anything