Author Topic: Door to Rocker alignment. End of adjustment.  (Read 18544 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: Door to Rocker alignment. End of adjustment.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 03:01:05 PM »
There is no other way unless you want to get into welding and body work to tighten the gaps.  3/16 is about the most I like to see but I shoot for slightly tighter.  Some cars you just can't get there without major mods.
  Hinges are replaceable and the first thing I would attempt to modify if needed.  In the end the tighter gaps are what people see and what improves the overall appearance of the car.  No one cares to look at your door hinges.  Opening those holes aren't visible anyway once assembled, as the shouldered bolts cover it.   Like Mike states, it's easy to drill up a couple sizes and doesn't hurt a thing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 03:21:04 PM »
 I looked over my original coupe and see an average of 2/16-3/16" all around with the majority being 3/16" at the doors.
 I set my convertible gaps at 3/16" minimum for the sake of body flexing.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 04:17:48 PM »
There is no other way unless you want to get into welding and body work to tighten the gaps.  3/16 is about the most I like to see but I shoot for slightly tighter.  Some cars you just can't get there without major mods.
  Hinges are replaceable and the first thing I would attempt to modify if needed.  In the end the tighter gaps are what people see and what improves the overall appearance of the car.  No one cares to look at your door hinges.  Opening those holes aren't visible anyway once assembled, as the shouldered bolts cover it.   Like Mike states, it's easy to drill up a couple sizes and doesn't hurt a thing, I wouldn't worry about it.
I looked over my original coupe and see an average of 2/16-3/16" all around with the majority being 3/16" at the doors.
 I set my convertible gaps at 3/16" minimum for the sake of body flexing.

Mike
Thanks guys. 3/16" sounds about right for what I'll be shooting for. I'm not planning on massaging my doors or slicing the quarters to achieve my gaps, so I'll have "factory" gaps I'd imagine and they won't be much less than 3/16" if at all. Only one or two spots do the quarters or the fenders not quite match the radii of my doors so I'm happy with that. I should only have to adjust a couple very small spots. The only reason I'm doing this is because the door not lining up with the end of the rocker would definitely bug me even though it was like that from the factory. I want both sides to match for my own sake of sanity or lack of....
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 04:47:48 PM »
The front fender gap has be slightly larger than the other's because of the way the door and fender peaks align.
I would massage the rear edge of the fender do that it aligns better to the rocker, it will give you a little and then a little in the hinges would make a huge difference.

It almost looks like there is a slight bump on the front of the rocker as well.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 05:46:32 PM »
The front fender gap has be slightly larger than the other's because of the way the door and fender peaks align.
I would massage the rear edge of the fender do that it aligns better to the rocker, it will give you a little and then a little in the hinges would make a huge difference.

It almost looks like there is a slight bump on the front of the rocker as well.
I haven't really touched the front fender gap at this point. I actually took it off on Sunday to better assess the door to rocker alignment. In the picture I think I had three bolts holding it on. I'm just trying to line up the front edge of the door with the front edge of the rocker. Once I'm able to do that, I'll be able to see where I stand with the gaps. The rocker is pretty straight. It must be the angle of the pic where you're seeing a bump. I'm not sure.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 06:14:52 PM »

Are you trying to get the door to fender and rocker to fender to be an even gap?   It is not necessary, you can get your door gap by spacing back from the rocker, leaving the rocker proud of the door. 

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 07:20:09 PM »
I haven't really touched the front fender gap at this point. I actually took it off on Sunday to better assess the door to rocker alignment. In the picture I think I had three bolts holding it on. I'm just trying to line up the front edge of the door with the front edge of the rocker. Once I'm able to do that, I'll be able to see where I stand with the gaps. The rocker is pretty straight. It must be the angle of the pic where you're seeing a bump. I'm not sure.
Why? it is not unusual for doors to be set slightly set back from the leading edge of the rocker. Yours just need to go forward a tad by the simple alterations discussed. You need to establish your quarter to door gap, then proceed forward. If you want gaps better than factory, start modifying panels. Panel alignment is a choreography and loosely fitting the fender is not helping you. Rebuilding hinges prior to any panel alignment is standard practice. Factory panels are not always going to give you the results you want. Live with them of do what is required to achieve the fit you want.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 07:29:29 PM »

Are you trying to get the door to fender and rocker to fender to be an even gap?   It is not necessary, you can get your door gap by spacing back from the rocker, leaving the rocker proud of the door. 

I guess you could say yes, but I'm really not thinking about the fender to door gap right yet though. My door edge on the driver's side is in line with the end of the rocker. I'm trying to make both drivers and passenger sides symmetrical or close to it. Call it OCD, but it would bug me if it weren't. Also, the gaps wouldn't match side to side if I don't do it. With it being different sides I'm sure no one would notice and I know it isn't a big deal, but I'd like to get it close if I can. It will make the door to rear quarter gap closer to being within spec also. It's a little tight for my liking right now.

Why? it is not unusual for doors to be set slightly set back from the leading edge of the rocker. Yours just need to go forward a tad by the simple alterations discussed. You need to establish your quarter to door gap, then proceed forward. If you want gaps better than factory, start modifying panels. Panel alignment is a choreography and loosely fitting the fender is not helping you. Rebuilding hinges prior to any panel alignment is standard practice. Factory panels are not always going to give you the results you want. Live with them of do what is required to achieve the fit you want.
I hear you loud and clear Scott. I appreciate it. The fender really has nothing to do with what I've been doing. I've already taken it off. I just had it on there temporarily. Before I go any further I'm going to rebuild the hinge. It has a little slop in it. I wish I didn't have to because the rebuild kits are so different, but it is what it is. I saw an OER kit that didn't look bad other than the expense.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 08:08:50 PM »
I'd pick the lesser of 2 evils.   I'd much rather have aftermarket parts in my door hinges than live with doors that won't align properly.  It's the alignment that everyone sees.

I don't believe aftermarket rebuild kits in door hinges affect the value of the car 1 bit....bad gaps however....

Trying to make you feel better about it  ;D

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 08:12:09 PM »
I'd pick the lesser of 2 evils.   I'd much rather have aftermarket parts in my door hinges than live with doors that won't align properly.  It's the alignment that everyone sees.

I don't believe aftermarket rebuild kits in door hinges affect the value of the car 1 bit....bad gaps however....

Trying to make you feel better about it  ;D
And I do... thanks. Honestly I'm not sweating the cars value. I'd never sell it. Well, then again everything is for sale for a price suppose. No way around rebuilding the hinges, so I'll do what I can there.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 08:50:28 PM »
Except for detent rollers, I buy pins and bushings from my local jobbers. They stock bushings by the box and you can pick and choose which pin/bushing combo provides zero play.

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
Door gaps were crap as built, in the resto world it is all about getting the car to look better. I have, as well as others, even added material to doors in the way of round rod, and grind to adjust gaps to get the desired results.

Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 10:28:11 PM »
Except for detent rollers, I buy pins and bushings from my local jobbers. They stock bushings by the box and you can pick and choose which pin/bushing combo provides zero play.
With any luck my detent rollers aren't bad. I haven't looked at them close yet. Hopefully I can get away with just pins and bushings.

Door gaps were crap as built, in the resto world it is all about getting the car to look better. I have, as well as others, even added material to doors in the way of round rod, and grind to adjust gaps to get the desired results.

Mike
I'll get them pretty good I think from what I've been working with so far. My orginal doors are pretty mint with factory hems, so I'm really not interested in screwing with them.

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 07:28:51 PM »
If I'm not mistaken the gaps are listed in the assembly manual .

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 08:20:43 PM »
If I'm not mistaken the gaps are listed in the assembly manual .
They are. That's what I put in reply # 12.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

anything