Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Steel wheel proper color

(1/1)

lemarin:
I have found a set of FC coded 14x6 wheel, for my 69 RS, Daytona Yellow, together with a set of P01 full cover wheel cap. Now I'm wondering what color should be the rim ? Black or the color of my car, Daytona Yellow ? With Poverty cap, I know the wheels are the same color of the car, is it the same with the P01 option ?

By looking at this picture, we clearly see the green wheel, behind the hub cap:

On those following picture, it's hard to see but I don't think that the wheel is painted yellow....behind the hubcap.

If it's suppose to be black, what code of black is it ? My mechanics has found a gloss black (not fully gloss, just between flat and gloss) for the cowl wall and the engine bay, is it the same black ?

william:
Not scolding you, just pointing something out. All the photos you posted are Chevy marketing photos; those are virtually never production cars.

A car built with any of the optional wheel covers would have been configured with black wheels. Wheels were painted with gloss enamel.

lemarin:
I understand your point, but don'T understand why the chevy display car would be different from the productions car ? Anyway ways, it's hard to find original pictures from production car...everybody is swapping the wheels these days, either for Rally wheels or aftermarket wheels...

william:
Back in the day they needed to have print and TV photography completed months in advance to be ready by intro day. The cars used are pilot units hand-built months prior to production start-up. Details that were later changed are sometimes corrected by editing the photos.

The practice continues to this day. A recent Car & Driver ad for a Nissan has "Pre-production model shown..." in the fine print at the bottom of the page.

KurtS:
They could use production vehicles for mid-year ads. But to highlight different features, the components on the cars would be changed.
Lots of 'photoshopping' occurred for the same reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index