Author Topic: Steel wheel proper color  (Read 3036 times)

lemarin

• View Profile
Steel wheel proper color
« on: February 07, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
I have found a set of FC coded 14x6 wheel, for my 69 RS, Daytona Yellow, together with a set of P01 full cover wheel cap. Now I'm wondering what color should be the rim ? Black or the color of my car, Daytona Yellow ? With Poverty cap, I know the wheels are the same color of the car, is it the same with the P01 option ?

By looking at this picture, we clearly see the green wheel, behind the hub cap:

On those following picture, it's hard to see but I don't think that the wheel is painted yellow....behind the hubcap.

If it's suppose to be black, what code of black is it ? My mechanics has found a gloss black (not fully gloss, just between flat and gloss) for the cowl wall and the engine bay, is it the same black ?
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 2017 brillant black
BMW M3 ZCP 2017 Yas Marina Blue
Chevrolet Camaro RS 1969 Daytona yellow
Tesla 3D 2018 AWD (ordered)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Steel wheel proper color
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
Not scolding you, just pointing something out. All the photos you posted are Chevy marketing photos; those are virtually never production cars.

A car built with any of the optional wheel covers would have been configured with black wheels. Wheels were painted with gloss enamel.
Learning more and more about less and less...

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:16:11 AM »
I understand your point, but don'T understand why the chevy display car would be different from the productions car ? Anyway ways, it's hard to find original pictures from production car...everybody is swapping the wheels these days, either for Rally wheels or aftermarket wheels...
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 2017 brillant black
BMW M3 ZCP 2017 Yas Marina Blue
Chevrolet Camaro RS 1969 Daytona yellow
Tesla 3D 2018 AWD (ordered)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 01:53:44 AM »
Back in the day they needed to have print and TV photography completed months in advance to be ready by intro day. The cars used are pilot units hand-built months prior to production start-up. Details that were later changed are sometimes corrected by editing the photos.

The practice continues to this day. A recent Car & Driver ad for a Nissan has "Pre-production model shown..." in the fine print at the bottom of the page.
Learning more and more about less and less...

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 03:48:04 AM »
They could use production vehicles for mid-year ads. But to highlight different features, the components on the cars would be changed.
Lots of 'photoshopping' occurred for the same reason.
Kurt S
CRG

anything