Author Topic: 67 RS/SS 396 Front Coil Springs  (Read 3020 times)

Buzz1967

• View Profile
67 RS/SS 396 Front Coil Springs
« on: February 05, 2016, 08:22:54 PM »
What did the factory use for front coil springs on the 67 RS/SS 396 cars? I discovered mine had a broken front coil when I disassembled the front end. So I need to order front springs. Where can I get a set of quality made front coil springs for my car? Is there such a thing as GM Licensed Restoration Parts front coil springs? I've come to trust the GM Licensed parts and believe them to be the best thing to buy during a restoration 50 years later. My goal is to have this car completed by it's 50th birthday.

The car is a real, RS/SS L35 coupe with no other factory options other than a radio and manual front disc brakes. The AIM manual says it had YG springs or YJ springs with the F41 RPO. Both the L35 and L78 cars got the same springs. Did the SS cars come with the F41 springs? My front coil tags were long gone by the way and no build sheet was found - so I'm a bit lost. What should I get and from where?

Thanks and appreciation for all those who reply!!

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: 67 RS/SS 396 Front Coil Springs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »
You can buy the typical springs people suggest for your model, and maybe get a similar ride height and spring rate, but the number of coils, etc will likely not even be close.   What I did after rejecting the OTS springs available, was to contact Coil Spring Specialties in Kansas.  I sent them my one good unbroken spring (an EY) from my Z28, and had them make me two new springs to match the unloaded height, coil wire size, number of coils, and spring rate from that one.  I can supply contact information if you can't locate them.  My contact there was Kevin Crane.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Buzz1967

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »
You can buy the typical springs people suggest for your model, and maybe get a similar ride height and spring rate, but the number of coils, etc will likely not even be close.   What I did after rejecting the OTS springs available, was to contact Coil Spring Specialties in Kansas.  I sent them my one good unbroken spring (an EY) from my Z28, and had them make me two new springs to match the unloaded height, coil wire size, number of coils, and spring rate from that one.  I can supply contact information if you can't locate them.  My contact there was Kevin Crane.

Hi Gary!

Can you tell me what the turnaround  time was and the cost? I do still have the unbroken spring - so your suggested solution is feasible.  I've found their website and contact information. Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Buzz

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 10:45:17 PM »
I spent a couple of months on the phone with them, since they had to schedule testing of the spring I sent them .. and then we spent some time deciding on which of a couple of spring wire sizes to use, since I wanted the spring rates to be as near to factory z28 as possible, and I definitely wanted the easily measureable specs (number of coils, coil diameter, wire size, etc) to be exactly the same, so in my case it took me from November 2012 until mid January to receive the new coils.  One member here just contacted them to order the same spring as mine (no testing required) and they gave him a 4-wk lead time (but since he was in middle of a restoration, I don't think he rushed them).

Alternatively you can go online and order an OTS spring and get it within a day or two from almost any parts store, and it may work fine for you, even though the visually checkable things (# of coils,etc) will likely not be the same.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

anything