Author Topic: Another 1969 Cowl Panel with VIN Plate & Cowl Tag for Sale  (Read 12094 times)

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Another 1969 Cowl Panel with VIN Plate & Cowl Tag for Sale
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »
If someone wants to build a legit JJ block or similar car from nothing and has the coin, so be it. Some are not in it to recoup their money, they want the car.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 04:59:43 PM »
Better ways to get a car like that though, for a lot less dough, recoup or not. 

I'd throw that heap in the dumpster faster than a tornado rips through a trailer park.  ;D

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 05:27:57 PM »
Better ways to get a car like that though, for a lot less dough, recoup or not. 

I'd throw that heap in the dumpster faster than a tornado rips through a trailer park.  ;D

I'm with you X33..  :)    Maybe we are fortunate to NOT be from the snow/rust belt of the country...?  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »
Yeah I think that's a lot of it right there Gary,  and I understand the attraction, I get it, I completely understand where people are coming from.   I'm probably the most die hard classic car guy someone would come across, people that know me would tell you that.   I drive them daily, prefer carbs over computers, don't need an overdrive, etc...so I hate to see one turned to scrap.

However it would be much easier to wrap my head around a project like that if the asking price was....say....$500??   To pay $18,000 for something like that is beyond crazy in my eye's knowing what I know.  I can buy a rust free muscle car that runs for that kind of money, or better yet, by the time that car is brought back from the dead, I could buy a nice restored example for 1/2 the cost.   Just one example,  I know of a nice rust free 69 Z that's been in AZ all it's life, needs restored but it's there for $20k  I've been kicking that one around so it's under wraps.   You can find a lot of car with $20k if you're patient, and stick to the rust free belt to save yourself a lot of grief in the long run.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 05:49:36 PM »
Putting it in another perspective, I would think only someone with the skill set to bring that car back themselves would even consider buying that. 

Can you imagine some poor soul showing up at a shop with that thing in the back of their truck and telling them you want a running driving car out of that?   I can only imagine the looks they would get.   Most shops I know wouldn't tackle it or even have the time for it.  If they did can you imagine the bill?  $80-$100 an hour multiplied by thousands of man hours?  Not to mention the astronomical money sunk in parts needed?  Scares me just thinking about it.

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
No one will pay 18k for that. Its only for attention on Ebay, free advertising. Someone will contact him with an offer, and the auction will end with it being sold "locally". And I imagine his strategy is to list high, which makes the buyer feel good when he accepts their "low-ball" offer.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 06:26:32 PM »
Holy Cow....What kind of Phoenix cars are you finding out here that only have a-pillars and roof skins salvageable Dave??   ;D  lol
The kind that "rise from the ashes" lol Not the city. And nothing I'm finding... I'll be lucky to finish the one I have.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »
My friend sold a total POS 70 440 Six-Pack Plum Crazy Charger for $20K. Next to nothing was salvageable. The TT was rotten off. The car owner paid to have it restored, no concern about money. I've restored cars from out west, not all were east coast rot boxes. I'm doing a rotisserie job on a virtually rust free 67 L30 LOS car here that the owner will have much more in it than it is worth. He knows it, but that is what he wants.

Abiddle could be right. People make deals off Ebay all the time.

People can pay to have whatever car they want built. It's their life, free will and money.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »
Yeah we have that type out here too.  I've done a few frame offs for people that leave me scratching my head at the amount of money they are willing to throw at it.  I'm not complaining.  ;D

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 07:32:46 PM »
People are often questioned about spending too much money on a classic. New cars depreciate yet they buy those. I'll have $10K in my 97 Powerstroke when done and it is a better truck than later models. You can buy a nice western '97 for far less than a new one. How much will a 2016 diesel be worth in 10 years? Last I knew boats were not a great investment. I never broke even buying a new snowmobile for the 15 years I dumped money into that hobby. Unless a person bought their car a long time ago, walks into a deal or knows someone who does, most people will have more into their car than its worth.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 08:07:46 PM »
Yeah I bought my older diesel used for that very reason..let the original buyer take the hit on depreciation.  Plus I don't like the new emissions they are tossing at them now.  Too costly to repair.  I don't even drive the darn thing unless it's needed.  I much rather prefer to drive an old muscle car.  Our weather cooperates year round, so not a big deal.
     Over the years we have been more inclined to stay away from newer stuff.  So much so my wife sold her newer SS and now wants to drive the 69Z daily instead.   I'm good with that.   We got tired of the electronics, the cost of software and upgrades for tuning, more expensive tires, higher insurance and tags, $500-$600 a month car payments etc.....  In many ways, if you tinker with them, they are more expensive than owning and driving a classic.  The money saved more than pays for the extra gas we use.

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 01:58:51 PM »
Yeah I bought my older diesel used for that very reason..let the original buyer take the hit on depreciation.  Plus I don't like the new emissions they are tossing at them now.  Too costly to repair.  I don't even drive the darn thing unless it's needed.  I much rather prefer to drive an old muscle car.  Our weather cooperates year round, so not a big deal.
     Over the years we have been more inclined to stay away from newer stuff.  So much so my wife sold her newer SS and now wants to drive the 69Z daily instead.   I'm good with that.   We got tired of the electronics, the cost of software and upgrades for tuning, more expensive tires, higher insurance and tags, $500-$600 a month car payments etc.....  In many ways, if you tinker with them, they are more expensive than owning and driving a classic.  The money saved more than pays for the extra gas we use.
And you didn't even mention the FUN factor!!
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 02:38:40 PM »
You're right Dale I forgot, there is that too  :)

anything