Author Topic: Nuff Said  (Read 10537 times)

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
Re: Nuff Said
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »
Dang you're a fun sucker Gary! I expect my wife to talk me out of fun stuff like this, not fellow Camaro nuts!

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »
  I agree with 'abiddle' about the cars past and would be glad to see it get a home and restoration. Without seeing the cowl structure in person I couldn't say one way or another if replacement panels can be welded to it. But I'm sure we have all seen a Camaro get full rockers, floor boards, roof and other parts welded onto it and resurrected from the dead so this car would be no exception if there was enough solid metal. If he knows the previous owner I wonder if the paperwork can be found for the CE replacement block. It would be nice to have that as proof. Then again, even without the paperwork how can one prove it wasn't a factory replacement for that chassis otherwise if the engine had other period correct components. Anyhow, I would hide VIN and body numbers too if I were ever to sell on eBay or Craig's list. Whoever the new owner may be, it should be their decision if the numbers get put into a web forums registry database or not.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:30:45 PM by Mike S »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 06:00:50 PM »
I don't agree with some of the posts. His pics back up the story he posted.

124379N64xxxx  57-57 712 05C X77
Trans looks original, P9D28B.

Seller: sidewaz67vette in Salem, VA

Listed this Z28 back in Sept. Have available the complete firewall section. Rest of car rusted pretty bad. As you can see by the pictures the Vin and trim tag are still on the vehicle.I'm the three owner, With history back to the original owner. I bought from second owner who had it from 1975 till Sept of 2015. He totaled the Z back in 1976 and it has set outside ever since. First couple of pictures I took in 1978. It got moved from that spot after several years and that's when the rear end fell out from under it.37 years later I took the next couple of pictures with trees growing up around it and in it!!!! And it was sitting on the ground as you can see rom the pictures.Included in the sale is the original Vin matching M21 transmission, It has been completely gone through and is like brand new.The motor was trashed by first owner who got a CE replacement block from the dealership for the Z. I have the bare block with the 1178 steel crank,Intake,bell housing. The 12 bolt posi traction rear end. The passenger side housing is bent slightly. But it's still the one that came with it. The car had the cowl induction hood with the functional flapper. The complete harness is still intact. It was equipped with center console gauges which I have. The dash is complete with center clock, the correct 8 grand tach.and speedometer with 66,776 miles. The AM radio is still there as is the wood grain  dash. I have the front sub frame with the Z steering box etc. This Z also came equipped with an Endura front bumper. Black Custom Deluxe interior.Car was originally Fathom Green.The numbers are hidden so this car doesn't get black listed by the Forums. You hard core Camaro guys know what the firewall is good for. If you are like Graveyard carz you can bring it back. Any ??????? ask em or call 540-355-2267
Kurt S
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »
That story is not 'unreasonable', except for the fact that if it were "totaled" in 1978, why didn't the owner collect the *totaled* insurance in which case the insurance company would have taken the car, but you say..  what if the owner wanted to "buy back" the totaled car from the insurance company?   

Yes, that's possible, but wouldn't most people who felt that way about their *totaled car*, do something with it besides tow into the woods and leave it for 37 yrs???   That's a weird story.. a *totaled Camaro, even a Z28* wouldn't have been worth a lot in 1978, and the ONLY parts (given the engine was a CE) worth anything would be the trans and differential..  yet those parts were left in the car for 37 yrs??   It still doesn't jive for me....   *S*    but if you guys wanna buy it and build a car, rather than buy a new body (and build a clone)... have at it.   

Personally, I'd much prefer to begin with a new dynacorn or ?? body rather than deal with that pile of crap..  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 10:59:38 PM »
I remember this same car was discussed at length either here, at Team Camaro or yenko.net when previously listed on eBay. I searched a while but couldn't turn up the thread. Seem to recall there was more to the back story of how the car was wrecked, and possibly involved drink driving? IIRC, someone posted in that thread and suggested that the car be left as it sat in the woods as a reminder to young kids to not D&D, rather than being restored. If anyone else remembers that thread, hopefully we can track it down.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 02:26:09 AM »
That story is not 'unreasonable', except for the fact that if it were "totaled" in 1978, why didn't the owner collect the *totaled* insurance in which case the insurance company would have taken the car, but you say..  what if the owner wanted to "buy back" the totaled car from the insurance company?   

Quote.."He totaled the Z back in 1976".   The payoff in '76 could not of been that much.  I have an original Bill of Sale from the second owner of my Z selling to my third owner in 1978.  The sell amount was $1700. 

I think back then guys had more sentimental value stuck on their daily driver "Hot Rods" than the measly insurance pay-off and just parked them to the side of the house, one day to pull the drive train..which in this story it appears someone did crab the engine from it.

I'd like to find an old Insurance Adjustment book from '76 to see what the value was then.
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 03:54:42 AM »
Zee-Value was nill to an adjuster back in the day. Nothing says the guy even had insurance. Remember, it was a different time.

Why did he hold onto this hulk? Same reason many of us, me included hold on to stuff way too long because we are eternally optimistic that just around the corner, the time, parts, money will present itself to make our dreams come true.

Gary-Agree, no one cared about seats, emblems,boosters, master cylinders, and the plethora of minutia we obsess over today , back then.

I see the resurrection angle of this project and would have no problem showcasing the demise of the car followed by the grand resurrection, like a Phoenix rising from the ashes. If only that is how it is portrayed. Unfortunately, money grubbers will see it as an opportunity to build, yet, another numbers matching, window sticker toting, genuine 3 owner car.

Intriuging story, I admit. Why did it end up where it sat for so long? If his Old Man was anything like mine, (He hated my "hot-rods") he ordered me to park them way off where he did not have to look at them. Maybe for shame, the old man made the, assuming, kid keep the car as a reminder of his folly aka stupidity. As a kid, he may have hidden it for embarrassment of his reckless behavior. I just don't see why the guy is so secretive about disclosing info & numbers. I like transparency, you know, just like Obama promised when he took office ::).
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 04:18:24 AM »
Zee-Value was nill to an adjuster back in the day. Nothing says the guy even had insurance. Remember, it was a different time.

Why did he hold onto this hulk? Same reason many of us, me included hold on to stuff way too long because we are eternally optimistic that just around the corner, the time, parts, money will present itself to make our dreams come true.

Gary-Agree, no one cared about seats, emblems,boosters, master cylinders, and the plethora of minutia we obsess over today , back then.

I see the resurrection angle of this project and would have no problem showcasing the demise of the car followed by the grand resurrection, like a Phoenix rising from the ashes. If only that is how it is portrayed. Unfortunately, money grubbers will see it as an opportunity to build, yet, another numbers matching, window sticker toting, genuine 3 owner car.

Intriuging story, I admit. Why did it end up where it sat for so long? If his Old Man was anything like mine, (He hated my "hot-rods") he ordered me to park them way off where he did not have to look at them. Maybe for shame, the old man made the, assuming, kid keep the car as a reminder of his folly aka stupidity. As a kid, he may have hidden it for embarrassment of his reckless behavior. I just don't see why the guy is so secretive about disclosing info & numbers. I like transparency, you know, just like Obama promised when he took office ::).

'Transparency PROMISES' you say???   :)

When my 17 yr old daughter was broadsided in her Saturn SL2 (totaling it) by an LTD, even though it was not her fault .. but to remind her I kept a medium size piece of the *plastic fender or door?* for quite a while..   She kept asking me to throw it out, but I said No.  it's a REMINDER..  :)  to be careful..  then be careful some more when you are driving!
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 01:50:16 PM »
The guy I bought my 69 RS/SS from kept the 69 RS that he totaled in 1974 until 1997 or so, when he and I dismantled it. It looked very similar to this Z28, rolled and mangled. He kept it in the barn so it wasn't rusted. He thought he would fix it or something if he got time, possibly. He is a guy that has room to keep tons of stuff because, well, he can. The story of this Z is plausible to me because you never know why someone may me attached to something and keep it regardless of its monetary value or condition. I, too, like to fanaticize that this could be fixed and live to drive again. Silly? Maybe.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 02:24:42 PM »
I've lost track of how totaled and smashed cars I've seen in backyards and farms. I still see them and a friend acquires them yearly. Apparently not everyone has this type of exposure to vehicles. A wrecked Buick GS, Cuda and BB Chevelle were pushed in the treelines 35 years ago where grew up.
If a car was bought and paid for, being stuffed in the back yard was no big deal if it got totaled. The use of the word totaled does not mean a car went through insurance. It was very common to swap the tags and drivetrain to a donor car if one came along; nobody cared about hidden VINS decades ago. 
If someone wants to bring this car back, go for it. No big deal if you have the resources and inventory.

Does the P.C. Hemi Cuda convertible cowl ring any bells?

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 11:01:39 PM »
1-28-16: "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

Paul

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 01:50:04 PM »
Shattered dreams of a z28! I wish my SS would be finished soon, its killing me not being in my garage.

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 06:52:44 PM »
Shattered dreams of a z28! I wish my SS would be finished soon, its killing me not being in my garage.
I sympathize with you! Mines been gone since 2008. Supposed to be done in March
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin