Author Topic: 1967 Alan Green Camaro Trans-Am  (Read 12233 times)

Starr

• View Profile
1967 Alan Green Camaro Trans-Am
« on: January 24, 2016, 02:43:20 AM »
Hi everybody,

My name is Guil Rosa and I build model cars in scale from kits. A few years ago I was looking online for inspiration for my next build and I found it at Historic Trans-Am home page. Among the amazing race cars there, I fell in love with the '67 Alan Green Camaro and since then I have been collecting reference pictures for my scale model project.

What I need specifically are pictures of the engine bay that shows the area of the radiator and attachment points of the rollcage on the chassis. I have some good pictures showing the engine and firewall but not the radiator from behind and the attachment points of the rollcage to the chassis in the engine bay.

I will greatly appreciate any and all help I can get from you.

Regards,

Guil

URL=http://s805.photobucket.com/user/CAM1908/media/1967%20Alan%20Green%20Camaro/15f0b7aa5002b0ffb79dc143da033544_zps2l4fnue0.jpg.html
Classic Plastic Model Car Club - Lowell, MA

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: 1967 Alan Green Camaro Trans-Am
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 03:56:40 AM »
Here ya go.  Sorry I cant help with photos for your research..

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 04:37:15 AM »
Welcome, Guil.

Here are some photos I took a few years ago. I hope you find them helpful.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 06:04:47 AM »
Just FYI, these two photos from Sebring show the main part of the stripes were repainted green but the outer pinstripe remained black.

Jon Mello
CRG

Starr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 11:48:51 PM »
Hi Darrell and Jon,

Thank you for reply. I need to figure out how to post pictures here, sorry.

Jon, those pictures will be of great help! Thank you very much for them.

So, looks like the race car doesn't have a battery installed in the engine bay like it's on the street Camaro. Instead, there are two small aluminum tanks. What are they? Water and oil tanks? They don't look like they are connected. It looks like the one closest to the radiator is the water expansion tank and the other one for oil? Does somebody knows?

Where the battery would be, inside the cabin or inside the trunk?

If somebody has any detail, information or even more pictures and would like to share, please, feel free to post them. Even a minimum detail can make a huge difference.

I'll keep you updated with my scale model project if you'll like.

Thanks again and have a nice week,

Guil

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 03:54:38 AM »
You're welcome Guil.  I'm sure we would enjoy seeing more pics of your progress.

The two expansion tanks next to the radiator are for water and for oil. You guessed correctly. The battery is in the trunk.

Here are some more pics that I took a few years back. When the car was first raced back in '67, the interior and under the hood were all black. Nowadays, much of it is painted gray.

Jon Mello
CRG

Starr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 12:29:01 AM »
Here are some more pics that I took a few years back. When the car was first raced back in '67, the interior and under the hood were all black. Nowadays, much of it is painted gray.

Now you hit me hard  :o  ;D I am using the '67 Camaro that's is racing at the Historic Trans-Am series as my reference and from the pictures I have, the interior looks like is painted the same off-white of the exterior. But now you are saying that the interior is grey as they are in your pictures.  :-\ I'll have to think about it, I'll need a very light shade of grey.

The picture that shows the dash will be of great help for me. In the pictures I have, the steering wheel is always in the way of some detail and I wasn't sure about them either. Now, thanks to your pictures again, I have a better understanding of it.

Many thanks,

Guil

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 02:39:44 AM »
Well, I guess I made your job just a little easier and yet harder at the same time. Quite the trick!
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 03:01:33 AM »
The deal is always with 1 answer you wind up with 10 questions.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Starr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 03:42:54 PM »
Hello!

Sorry for not coming here since last time but I am very busy lately working as much as I can on my model, thanks to all the information you provided me :-)

Here are a few pictures of what I did so far:

First picture shows a new roll cage been build. The first roll cage was made out of 14 pieces, this one will have around 22 pieces after done

Here is a picture of the old roll cage:

A new firewall was made out of styrene sheets and rods (sorry, the picture isn't good):

Air scoops and ducts for the brake cooling system were scratch build, I may scratch another set of ducts, I didn't like those (again, sorry for the bad picture):

And last to show, I scratch build the two tanks, water and oil overflow out of styrene rods and other bits:

I worked on a lot of other things, mostly very small parts that go in the engine bay but they are too small to take a good picture of them with my poor old camera.

Again, I would like to thank you for your help with this project.

Till next update.

Cheers,

Starr

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 11:30:23 PM »
You're making some nice progress. Thanks for posting the pictures. What model kit are you using?
Jon Mello
CRG

Starr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 05:06:08 PM »
Hi Jon,

I am using a Revell 1967 Camaro SS Special Edition kit#85-4936 at 1/25 scale. Since the engine that comes with this kit isn't the right one, I had to borrow the right one from a 1969 Camaro Z/28 also from Revell. But soon enough, I found out that that engine wouldn't fit in the '67 Camaro and that let me down for a couple of months when I didn't want to see this project. Until a day when I light turned on above my head :-D and I decided to rob the front suspension and crossmember from the same '69 Camaro and it worked!

Not much long after I found this forum and started to make all kind of questions and getting all excellent help I could ever imagine to get!

And speaking of questions, I have one more:
I could spot on the first engine bay pictures you shared that there is a white bar that cross from left to right in between the radiator and the engine. I guess it's part of the roll cage. Can you tell me exactly where it's starts and where it's ends (or better, where it's attached to), please?

Cheers,

Guil

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 04:38:59 AM »
The bar you see there is part of the front sway bar arrangement. I think the bar itself must rest inside that tube as the diameter of the tube is excessively large. An black painted arm is attached to each end or the bar (red arrow in photo below) and that arm attaches to a link that is connected to the lower a-arm. Unfortunately, the picture below is the best of what I have.
Jon Mello
CRG

Starr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »
Hello Everybody!

I am very sorry for not showing up with updates on my 1/25 scale Alan Green Chevrolet 67 Camaro Z/28. I had many troubles along the way since I had a lot of "first time" on this project: First time scratch building parts, flaring the fenders, plastic surgery and so on. I got to a point to have to go back to the beginning (the main reason I disappeared from here). But after a very long battle with the kit and my own lack of skills I finished this project and I am here to show you the model, not before my thanks to the folks from this Forum, specially Jon Mello for his generosity and many pictures provided that were very helpful for my project. I also want to thank my friends and fellow members of the Classic Plastic Model Club for their support, patience and many laughs along the way.

Here are some pictures for you, I hope you enjoy:

[/url]

A few notes:
1. From the original kit I started with, I saved the following items, seats, dashboard, wheels and tires, engine/transmission and front grille;

2. I scratch built 8 roll cages till I decided I couldn't do any better;

3. I had to use the chassis from a '69 Camaro Z/28 instead of the '67 ones since the engine was sitting too high on this one, making impossible to close the hood. Because of that, I had to make a lot of plastic surgeries on the chassis to fit.

4. The following model kits had donated parts for this project: '67 Camaro from Revell (most parts), '67 Camaro from AMT (Hood), '69 Camaro Z/28 from Revell (engine/transmission, chassis, front crossmember, front and rear suspension and rear axel), '68 Firebird from Revell (racing seats) and '68 Corvette from Revell (wheels and tires).

Again, thank you very much for your support.

Cheers,

Starr

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 03:58:58 AM »
Very cool! That turned out great!!

Thank you for letting us see your completed project.
Jon Mello
CRG