Author Topic: now the front springs....  (Read 12531 times)

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: now the front springs....
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 09:30:40 PM »
Good info to know Lloyd. And glad Gary both found a source and communicated as well.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »
Although one of my springs had the bottom coil broken off, they each had the factory 'EY' blue tags on them, so I knew exactly what my car came with from the factory (also verified by the tabular data found in the factory manuals).  I purchased two different sets of OTS springs (as suggested by people here and from TC) and found that neither of them matched the physical specs (no of coils, coil thickness, unloaded height, etc) of the factory springs.  I posted my questions and concerns here, and Steve Stauger was kind enough to suggest to me to contact Coil Spring Specialties, which I did.  I sent them my good original spring; they tested it.. and I also relayed to them that I wanted to physical specs to match as well as the spring rates.   Over a few months, we finally agreed on the specs/rates and they shipped them to me.   Mine are installed, but all of my front end sheet metal is not yet installed, so I cannot testify about the static height in the completed car.  I think Lloyd had CSS build his set to match what they did with mine; hopefully both my car and his sit at the correct height and ride consistent with a new Z28/RS when we get them completed..  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 10:23:22 PM »
Lloyd, did you pass along to Coil Spring Specialties the specs I provided to you (which I'd given to them)???   I was curious, and counted the number of coils in yours and compared to mine.  (See photos below)...  Yours seems to have an additional coil (9) versus the (eight) in mine....  and based purely on visual appearance, your coil wire diameter seems larger??  What about unloaded length?   I think we should compare specs on these if you are willing, because I am not sure they made yours to match the ones they made me??  Note:  The specs agreed between Kevin and myself were:  Use .610” wire diameter,  8.125 Total coil, Inside Diameter will be 3.675”, Free Length will be 15.00” +/- , and  Load Rate will be 370#/in.   How close to these specs did you and CSC agree to??

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 03:49:28 AM »
Gary, according to Kevin, he pulled your actual order and re-ran it. I am curious how there is an additional coil, will talk to him on Monday.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 04:01:49 AM »
  When I see coil springs I shiver. I don't know what you are planning to use as a compressor but I highly do not recommend the type that hook inside like monkey arms. I've used that type and during compression the spring violently unwound. This has happened twice in the same day to boot. I recommend the OTC 7045B spring compressor. It costs a little more but well worth it for safety as well as piece of mind when handling them while compressed.

I'm just saying....

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 04:19:33 AM »
Yes, coil springs can be dangerous.   I recall seeing/hearing one come out violently once when I was working in the Keesler AFB hobby shop (probably someone who didn't know any better).  The shop manager (a retired Master Sergeant) got all worked up and in the face of the young airman who was working on it.   At that time, the sergeant/manager said to always run a safety device (chain) thru the spring and around the frame - ends of the chain bolted together) to restrain a coil that wanted to leave before you were ready for it.. :)    I've always followed that advice, and only one time was the chain really necessary.. but it's a good precaution...

I moved/re-installed my Z28 springs (removing the originals, installing the replacements) without a compressor.  I always run a length of chain thru the spring and thru the A-arm or around the frame when doing either of these task, because what you say is true (they CAN be very dangerous).. but in the case of removing the EY's and installing the replacements (in my case) there was little energy left by the time I'd lowered the lower control arm.. and I was able to get the new ones in place and put a floor jack underneath to install the replacements (although I did have to set my engine/trans back into place in order to get the ball joints reconnected.  (the engine was installed when I removed the springs, but not installed when I first began the front end rebuild with the new parts)...

Gary

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 04:27:31 AM »
 What I like about the OTC 7045B design is you will not mar any chassis paint and chains are not really needed.
Its design prevents it from unwinding.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 09:58:14 PM »

The easiest way I have found is to compress the spring to the lower A Arm then drop it in, 2 through bolts and lower balljoint.... release the compressor... voila!
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 04:09:05 AM »
  When I see coil springs I shiver. I don't know what you are planning to use as a compressor but I highly do not recommend the type that hook inside like monkey arms. I've used that type and during compression the spring violently unwound. This has happened twice in the same day to boot. I recommend the OTC 7045B spring compressor. It costs a little more but well worth it for safety as well as piece of mind when handling them while compressed.

I'm just saying....

Mike

I've worked on lots of coil springs over the years and bar-none its the job I enjoy the least.  I make a point of using quality tools and a safety chain.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 11:13:56 AM »

I'm just saying....

Mike

I've worked on lots of coil springs over the years and bar-none its the job I enjoy the least.  I make a point of using quality tools and a safety chain.
Do need now but will keep James suggestion in mind! Lloyd, could not agree more that the coil spring assembly is nothing I look forward to and hopefully the 68 will be the last one I do. Let us know how you make out with the differences in your coil springs vs. Gary's.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 08:25:27 PM »

I'm just saying....

Mike

Totally agree.  I bought one of these from Rick's and made a scary job quite safe and easy:   http://www.rickscamaros.com/coil-spring-compressor-1955-1972.html
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

anything