Author Topic: How were convertible cocktail shakers suspended during trunk spatter?  (Read 2682 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
  I'm getting ready to apply spatter paint to my 67 convertibles trunk. I may use a home grown solution to duplicate the spatter size so I want to paint all that needs to be painted in this one run. As I understand it, from reading past threads on spatter painting,  the shakers were suspended inside the trunk during spatter painting and then later secured to the floor and side brace. That's clear to me. What I am curious about is where inside the trunk were they suspended from? By that time the body was painted I figured it wasn't from the gutter frame being they weight close to 50 pounds between the two, or was it? I'm also assuming coverage of the shakers varied from partial to full on one side. When I restored the car back in the 80's I just don't remember seeing spatter on the shakers then so I painted them semi-gloss back.

Thank You,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: How were convertible cocktail shakers suspended during trunk spatter?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 02:43:53 AM »
I've look at original 69 cars and the shakers were splattered, but they clearly didn't match the area they were in nor were the bolts splattered.
JohnZ thought they would be hung from the gutter.
If you didn't see splatter, I wouldn't add it.
Kurt S
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: How were convertible cocktail shakers suspended during trunk spatter?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 03:00:51 AM »
 Thanks for the reply, Kurt. I was very careful documenting the car back in the early 80's (no digital camera for me then) and I don't see spatter in my notes. I also have two spare rear '67 shakers in the shed and they too do not have spatter. I wonder, being '67 was the first year if Fisher did suspend them -or-  maybe placed on the car floor and later put in the trunk after spatter was applied then changed their method later.
  The only other '67 convertible I know of by me that was restored has just black shakers and the owner said his were not spattered originally. My thinking is if they were indeed suspended then it would be in the middle of the gutter or possibly hooked on the torsion bar this way it would out of the way of spraying the sides and just reach under them to spray along the back thereby getting little, if any, spatter on the shakers.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored