Author Topic: advice on painting cowl  (Read 17669 times)

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
Re: advice on painting cowl
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 02:35:49 AM »
they were nice except above the axle. I dont know if the guy lived on or near a gravel road or what. It was pretty scaley.No holes but wasnt going to get any better. I would have thought it would have received a good coat of primer there so must have been another cause. I think it was in a pole barn and unheated garage all its life too.if not for above the axle I would have left the bottom.
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 02:58:50 AM »
When was yours built Gary?    Based on what you're car has, I wouldn't be surprised when I pull the gas tank if mine is also grey in that area, since I'm seeing grey on the last 12" of rear frame rail and the trunk drop offs.
  My entire rear wheel houses are green, even facing up at the top, then blacked it out with sound deadener. 
//quote

My car is a HO (high output Hugger Orange :) .. :)     and yes a couple of spots of the rear wheelhouse undercoating have come off and under it is HO body color.   My car was completed/shipped on 18Sep1969.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 04:33:37 AM »
Granted this isnt a 69 but to show the undercarriage phospate, primer and paint overspray.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 10:54:08 AM »
they were nice except above the axle. I dont know if the guy lived on or near a gravel road or what. It was pretty scaley.No holes but wasnt going to get any better. I would have thought it would have received a good coat of primer there so must have been another cause. I think it was in a pole barn and unheated garage all its life too.if not for above the axle I would have left the bottom.

Above my tank showed "trace" at most of primer. If the car actually saw Ohio winters, (or any road salt at all) trunk pan would have been long gone. Same as you, car has always been inside storage, no rain/snow. I had no corrosion issues underneath. Under the goop found lots of trace body color under outer areas of floor pan through to outer rear frame rails. Gray trans tunnel, Red oxide rear frame rails/rear. black. Must of looked like a mess off the line-- to each there own. If you search, almost positive I posted some pics here. I'll post one last set of pics from under the car this weekend(shows trace) spring it's getting covered for good. I like Hawk's. Doing roof-rails, door glass this weekend.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 12:42:09 PM »
Dave, your heater box cover appears top be the same satin/30% gloss as the firewall. It should be around 65-70% gloss, or gloss as it pertains to unpolished lacquer.

I've got an LOS 67 here with many runs in the tunnel, and heavy globs and drips elsewhere.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 12:47:03 PM »
I didn't want to mention that to Dave since it looks like he put a lot of time in it already, but yeah the heater box should be a little more gloss, if you're going for that sort of restoration.
  Dave, looks good, I was only poking fun at these black floors.  I've always been more of a fan of something that has some contrast, that's all.  But it won't steer me away from doing it correctly, it is what it is.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »
When was yours built Gary?    Based on what you're car has, I wouldn't be surprised when I pull the gas tank if mine is also grey in that area, since I'm seeing grey on the last 12" of rear frame rail and the trunk drop offs.
  My entire rear wheel houses are green, even facing up at the top, then blacked it out with sound deadener. 
//quote

My car is a HO (high output Hugger Orange :) .. :)     and yes a couple of spots of the rear wheelhouse undercoating have come off and under it is HO body color.   My car was completed/shipped on 18Sep1969.

Wow Gary, our cars are almost a year apart.  I'm amazed at how similar they are.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »
Dave, your heater box cover appears top be the same satin/30% gloss as the firewall. It should be around 65-70% gloss, or gloss as it pertains to unpolished lacquer.

I've got an LOS 67 here with many runs in the tunnel, and heavy globs and drips elsewhere.
  Different brand but same topic, I'm finishing a restoration on a 69 Mach 1 for a customer.  San Jose plant built Feb 12th.  Very sloppy application throughout the engine compartment, runs everywhere, just looks like a rushed job down the assembly line.   In comparison, my own 69 SCJ Mach 1 was also built Feb 12th (what are the chances) but at Dearborn, an unrestored survivor, engine compartment was done much better and cleaner with no visual runs.  Another interesting tidbit, San Jose used red oxide on the floors, but Dearborn used "batch paint" so there are some vast differences with identical cars built at different plants.   Interesting stuff, even if it is just a ford, lol.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 01:04:05 PM »

I didn't want to mention that to Dave since it looks like he put a lot of time in it already, but yeah the heater box should be a little more gloss, if you're going for that sort of restoration.
  Dave, looks good, I was only poking fun at these black floors.  I've always been more of a fan of something that has some contrast, that's all.  But it won't steer me away from doing it correctly, it is what it is.

Couldn't that be considered a day two item? J/K... I'll eventually go back and get some of the details like that more correct. I guess you could call it a short cut for now. I probably should correct it the next time I have the fender off though which will be when the warmer weather returns. Thanks for the reminder. I did spend some time on it, but it's nothing to squirt a coat of semi gloss over it.
Mine is going to be a driver for quite a while. Someday I might go back and do a real resto with the floors the right color etc. Most things are going to be pretty close, but some finishes/platings won't be concourse correct.

My original paint must have faded or been painted over at some point. They look pretty close:

Then again... Here's a pic after I removed it and dusted if off. Not sure if those are factory runs or not.

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 01:18:22 PM »
Very cool Dave, love seeing the original stuff.   You're right, doesn't look very glossy to me in those shots.

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »
Bill, try painting forward from the roof towards the front of the cowl. The white will stop at the bend of the cowl.
Buddy
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 03:51:16 AM »

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa