Author Topic: Power Steering kit  (Read 3650 times)

Fanthomgreen69

• View Profile
Power Steering kit
« on: January 04, 2016, 03:20:54 PM »
Wanted to add p/s for '69 Z/28. The only kit I found was HBC for about $800. Classic Industries, NPD etc. sells everything individually. Has anybody used the kit from HBC or know of any other supplier that might even be cheaper? Thanks for any info.
Charles

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: Power Steering kit
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 03:31:40 PM »
I bought the kit from Heartbeat.  They had a sale over the holidays for $779.  Haven't installed it yet but the kit is complete right down to the power steering line clips, deep groove pulley etc...   I went with Heartbeat for a couple reasons.  One, I had to place a big order and they had a 25% off sale.  Second, I wanted it in a kit, much easier, I didn't want to have to piece meal everything from somewhere else.

If I had one complaint, and it's a minor one, the reman power steering box is spray bombed black.  To be expected I guess.  So I'll have to strip it and detail it correctly.  Other than that, looks like the kit will work just fine.

Edit:  I just looked and they are still having the sale on the kit $779 (5% off)  Regular $824

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 07:34:23 PM »
I took a complete set up off a 71 or 2 Camaro and it fit.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:12:40 PM »
Wanted to add p/s for '69 Z/28. The only kit I found was HBC for about $800. Classic Industries, NPD etc. sells everything individually. Has anybody used the kit from HBC or know of any other supplier that might even be cheaper? Thanks for any info.
Charles

...and those are all repro parts at that. I am sure several can help you get what you need cheaper. I know I have a ton of stuff from high school days (79) of that type part, even dated strg. boxes for 69. One reason that component kit is high are the correct type pieces. If you are not into high end resto work, hoses could be had at an auto parts store, I think. The original pulley is what will be high and a good repro isn't coffee money either. i am no Z authority, but all other pieces, except N44 pitman arm are the same for all 69 sb cars. strg box is same for all 69s? I believe. Can check my Hollander manual tonight.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »
It's a quick ratio box I'm told, which I believe is standard on the Z's, but probably optional on other 69's.
  I have OEM stuff here I've pulled from parts cars.  My issue with using that stuff is that, for starters I'd have to buy new lines anyway, I'm not using 45 year old lines.  I'd have to rebuild the PS pump because again, not comfortable just throwing that on after sitting in the box for 30+ years, and the 3 steering boxes I have would likely be okay but never know, then I'd still have to buy the deep groove pulley, odds and ends clips etc...  So I decided it made more sense for me to just buy a new kit with all new parts.  Really don't care about it being repop.  The pulley's I've seen are so good repop now that it takes an entire review board to even determine if it's an original or not, lol.  The brackets look just like the OEM brackets I have in a box, pitman arm has cast part number on it and looks pretty good, but with that being buried down in there with the steering box and hardly seen, it's not much concern to me.

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:47:16 PM »
Here is a link to the Pozzi Racing site that discusses the First Gen steering, both manual and power.

http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

anything