Author Topic: Please help with dash pad install on my '68 Z28  (Read 1550 times)

barsteel

• View Profile
Please help with dash pad install on my '68 Z28
« on: December 14, 2015, 06:46:49 PM »
Hello!

Since I have the inst. panel out for the tach rebuild, I decided to replace the dash pad.  The previous owner had at some point removed the pad, covered it with blue vinyl, and reinstalled it.  It looked like hell.

I got it off easy enough.  There were only the 4 studs that fasten the pad to the top of the dash.  There were no other screws to remove.

I reinstalled the chrome trim on the new pad and proceeded with the install.  Of course, the pad is not tight against the dash...there's a 1/2" or so gap where it overhangs the front of the dash, right below the chrome trim.

I looked at the original pad and at the metal dash and saw there had been some screws that fastened the edge of the dash pad to the dash board.  They were missing on the original when I pulled it out, so I never knew that they were there.

So...

Do those screws go in from the back of the dashboard into the pad, or do they go in through the outside of the dash pad into the metal dash, hopefully partially hidden by the chrome trim???

What size and type of screw did the General use?  Regular sheet metal?  Chrome plated, or ?

Was the purpose of the chrome trim to partially/totally hide those screws?

Also, the plastic fasteners that are supposed to hold down the side edges of the dash pad don't really stay secure in the factory hole.  Do most people end up using a spot of glue or ?.   

I looked in the factory assembly manual, but couldn't find anything about the dash pad.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks...

Chris

anything