Author Topic: EO Z28 at Mecum Kissimmee 2016  (Read 45171 times)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: EO Z28 at Mecum Kissimmee 2016
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 11:02:44 PM »
Hard to say. The Chevy dealer I knew said HP cars didn't sell well during the winter months. Most dealers didn't want slow inventory sitting around, didn't order any for stock.

PM sent, thanks!
Learning more and more about less and less...

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2015, 02:44:56 AM »
I don't think it will bring that kind of money either; that's just sellers/auctioneers trying to get rich off gullible buyers with more $$ than sense at these large tv collector car auctions.. :)    The controversy over the 'color' was just that, a difference of opinion between 'evaluators' 45 yrs later attempting to judge what color was sprayed at the factory, and the owner who paid for it to be done, and the salesman who wrote up the order for him.  The issue is whether it was actually evening orchid, OR another very similar GM color.  There is no issue as to the fact that it was a special order paint (I don't think.. it certainly isn't in my mind as the original owner told myself and several others many years ago that he had special ordered such a car for his wife - JohnZ was involved in that discussion at Carlisle Vettehead tent, many years before the car was found and restored).. :)

I do think it is a very special car due to the 'special order paint' (and the story behind it) which adds some value to its 'restored real Z28' value, but to me that 'extra value' would not be $150K..  :)   if you HATE the color, it might even be worth less than an equivalently restored red, orange, or silver car... :)

gary you had better stop posting facts here or you could be banned also.  :D
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2015, 06:18:17 AM »
Clem,
You (and only you) got a temporary ban over this topic last time.
It will be longer this time if you stir the pot again.
Kurt S
CRG

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2015, 01:54:11 PM »
kurt if you post facts here you get banned but if you post your opinion that is OK  ??? I don't think that is fair, do you ???
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2015, 02:30:45 PM »
Clem, you have a huge amount of experience and knowledge that could be beneficial on this site. 

But we need to move on. Please don't keep bringing up this topic. It is not productive.

It would be awesome if you could share some information on rebuilding and/or tuning carbs.  Maybe in the restoration section.   
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2015, 02:52:24 PM »
Clem, you have a huge amount of experience and knowledge that could be beneficial on this site. 

But we need to move on. Please don't keep bringing up this topic. It is not productive.

It would be awesome if you could share some information on rebuilding and/or tuning carbs.  Maybe in the restoration section.   
I did not bring it up and some posters here like doubting of original owners who show up with paperwork.  I think you should dress them down not the original owners. I would think original owners with paperwork would be welcome here. I guess I was wrong. 

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2015, 11:55:59 PM »
Clem,
I'm not going to rehash this with you in any form. Stir anymore on this topic and you are gone. It's that simple.
Kurt S
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2015, 12:25:53 AM »
I can see both sides of this topic. I think Garys statement :

"I don't think it will bring that kind of money either; that's just sellers/auctioneers trying to get rich off gullible buyers with more $$ than sense at these large tv collector car auctions.. :)    The controversy over the 'color' was just that, a difference of opinion between 'evaluators' 45 yrs later attempting to judge what color was sprayed at the factory, and the owner who paid for it to be done, and the salesman who wrote up the order for him.  The issue is whether it was actually evening orchid, OR another very similar GM color.  There is no issue as to the fact that it was a special order paint (I don't think.. it certainly isn't in my mind as the original owner told myself and several others many years ago that he had special ordered such a car for his wife - JohnZ was involved in that discussion at Carlisle Vettehead tent, many years before the car was found and restored).. :)

I do think it is a very special car due to the 'special order paint' (and the story behind it) which adds some value to its 'restored real Z28' value, but to me that 'extra value' would not be $150K..  :)   if you HATE the color, it might even be worth less than an equivalently restored red, orange, or silver car... :)"

Stands on it own, and Gary states pretty clearly before the car was discovered, what was known about the car.
It is clearly a special order paint car with docs, and lucky enough to have both the original owner and dealer recollect that it was not the typical stripe delete car and that special paint was selected for the car. It has also been inspected by Jerry M, who is nationally recognized.

I can understand where Clem is coming from, in the sense we are all trying to put the pieces of the puzzle back together as far how these cars were assembled and all the minutia that went along with the process, and in doing so we have to be open to more than just hearsay when there are docs and some pics to back up such a story. The other thing I would add is Clem doesn't even own the car, so to the best of my knowledge he does not financially benefit from this (becoming historic) discussion.

So lets see how the docs both from Jerry, Clem, and the Original Dealer, speak for themselves. The Auction has its own sideshow of unknowns, and "mystery phone bidders" , so since the debate on color has been talked out,  lets just continue to follow the car and let the numbers speak for themselves,
Right? ;D
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2015, 06:15:37 PM »
Clem, Please keep your posts civil so that your valuable contributions will not be deleted. I understand there is a lot of pride on both sides of the issue. However, the experts who are sticking by their opinions are core members of this site and personal attacks will get deleted. Just sayin!

One of my favorite posts from the beginning of this whole debacle was Jerry Macniesh saying
Evening Orchid was not available in 1969... End of story.
That of course was just the beginning of the story. Now at Mecum, there will be the car hyped up as a 1 of 1 special paint and an expert written appraisal of the car stating it is just a standard color with a stripe delete, which is certainly not that rare. Should make for interesting TV.

This certainly has been an interesting story on many boards, not just here and Team Camaro, but on several other boards as well. Some brought up an interesting point that there was a light purple color available in 1969. Is it possible that you requested "Evening Orchid" and the paint used was actually called "Sunset Silver", which is what that light purple color was called in 1969?

1969 Buick in Sunset Silver:

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2015, 07:21:19 PM »
I would have never ordered a car in a "silver" color as mrs clem wanted a purple car but it turned out to be not purple enough for her. orchids are purple in color and I was familiar with EO from other GM cars painted that color. I think people are using that sunset silver argument to cover their behinds

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2015, 07:55:11 PM »
Clem, Please keep your posts civil so that your valuable contributions will not be deleted. I understand there is a lot of pride on both sides of the issue. However, the experts who are sticking by their opinions are core members of this site and personal attacks will get deleted. Just sayin!

One of my favorite posts from the beginning of this whole debacle was Jerry Macniesh saying
Evening Orchid was not available in 1969... End of story.
That of course was just the beginning of the story. Now at Mecum, there will be the car hyped up as a 1 of 1 special paint and an expert written appraisal of the car stating it is just a standard color with a stripe delete, which is certainly not that rare. Should make for interesting TV.

This certainly has been an interesting story on many boards, not just here and Team Camaro, but on several other boards as well. Some brought up an interesting point that there was a light purple color available in 1969. Is it possible that you requested "Evening Orchid" and the paint used was actually called "Sunset Silver", which is what that light purple color was called in 1969?

1969 Buick in Sunset Silver:

that color is still a long way from Cortez silver that was a std color for a 69 Z/28

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2015, 09:11:19 PM »
that pic of Sunset silver 69 Buick , looks more similar to EO than Cortez silver to me
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2015, 11:00:41 PM »
It probably is Austin, I run across that fairly often painting these cars.  A lot of colors are the same or extremely similar, just the different brand of GM cars give them their own catchy name.
  For example the Frost Green on my Z is identical to the naked eye in all aspects to the same color that Pontiac used in 1969 called Limelight.
  Although I never bothered to research it I could look at paint chips and mix formulas and confirm it.

Another example and I'll use a favorite here, Hugger Orange looks shockingly similar to Pontiac Carousel Red doesn't it?  ;D

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2015, 12:06:47 AM »
That's because it is the same.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2015, 12:20:23 AM »
Clem,
You were doing good, right up to when you had to add that last sentence (in reply #39)......
Kurt S
CRG